need some axle shaft suggestions, please

bob-o12jk

Banned
Hello everyone, I will try to make this short, I have a 2012 jku rubi with a bunch of mods like armor, lift shocks, frnt drive shaft, on 37" BFG km2's and now its time to get some new chromoly shafts. I would like to try to spend around $1500 or so. I was thinking of getting ten factory front and rear shafts and maybe the teraflex hd hinge too, or get rcv front shafts and whatever brand rear shafts, AMD get the hinge later. I would like to here some pros/cons about rcv's or standard u-joint chromos( like how do the little 760spicer joints hold up) I need you opinions please, I plan ob pulling the trigger in a day or so on some shafts. Thank you

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone, I will try to make this short, I have a 2012 jku rubi with a bunch of mods like armor, lift shocks, frnt drive shaft, on 37" BFG km2's and now its time to get some new chromoly shafts. I would like to try to spend around $1500 or so. I was thinking of getting ten factory front and rear shafts and maybe the teraflex hd hinge too, or get rcv front shafts and whatever brand rear shafts, AMD get the hinge later. I would like to here some pros/cons about rcv's or standard u-joint chromos( like how do the little 760spicer joints hold up) I need you opinions please, I plan ob pulling the trigger in a day or so on some shafts. Thank you

Personally, I wouldn't bother changing out your rear shafts until you need to. The factory shafts will hold there own and aside from issues you might see with bent flanges, I really haven't seen to many break, even running 37's. And, for that matter, I've seen plenty of chromo shafts suffer from bent flanges too.

Regarding front shafts, there really is no need to get anything more than a set of standard chromoly shafts SO LONG AS it comes with full circle clips or, have yoke ears that will allow you to install your own. The most common failure on front axle shafts come from the fact that they use C-clips and, over time, they can work themselves free. Once that happens, there's nothing preventing your bearing caps from falling off and causing a total failure. Full circle clips will prevent this from happening. I've run RCV's and they are nice but, I just don't know if they're worth the significant additional cost. Also, I personally don't like the idea of having a joint that is so strong that any break you would have would most likely be the shaft itself deep in the axle housing or, a ring and pinion. If you've ever had to deal with either of those on the trail, you'd know why it's a concern of mine. You should also know that JK chromo shafts DO NOT use 760 joints, they use the much larger factory ones.

Of course, this is all just my 2¢ :)

bob-o12jk

Banned
Yay! Good morning Eddie I was hoping for u to chime in, its been a long time since I talked to you. The last time we talked was at suds and grub on my bday Aug 27..thank u for the great info. What axle shafts would you recommend then, ten factory, alloy ,g2, superior? And.since u said to wait on the.rears I will either get a Currie tie rod or pro steer b joints. Thanks Eddie. I always love hearing Ur 2 cents

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yay! Good morning Eddie I was hoping for u to chime in, its been a long time since I talked to you. The last time we talked was at suds and grub on my bday Aug 27..thank u for the great info. What axle shafts would you recommend then, ten factory, alloy ,g2, superior?

Honestly, any of them will do the job but, not all come with full circle clips. When I ran Alloy shafts in the past, they did come with them but, I'm not sure if they do anymore. I would probably make that the determining factor. Sorry, I'm not sure which ones do and don't for sure.

And.since u said to wait on the.rears I will either get a Currie tie rod or pro steer b joints. Thanks Eddie. I always love hearing Ur 2 cents

That's typically what I recommend. Instead of getting RCV's, get a standard chromo shaft and use the money that you save to get ProSteer ball joints. Keep your rear shafts and use the money that you save to get an HD tie-rod like what Currie makes. Going this route will give you a lot more bang for your buck and help you to do way more on the trail :yup:

bob-o12jk

Banned
Honestly, any of them will do the job but, not all come with full circle clips. When I ran Alloy shafts in the past, they did come with them but, I'm not sure if they do anymore. I would probably make that the determining factor. Sorry, I'm not sure which ones do and don't for sure.

That's typically what I recommend. Instead of getting RCV's, get a standard chromo shaft and use the money that you save to get ProSteer ball joints. Keep your rear shafts and use the money that you save to get an HD tie-rod like what Currie makes. Going this route will give you a lot more bang for your buck and help you to do way more on the trail :yup:

Ok Eddie, thanks again, I will make sure the shafts I get have full circle clips, and I will get PS ball joints and Currie tie rod.in the meantime I will be installing my evo rock corners until the shafts get delivered. I have already installed my evo sleeves, gussets,lca skids, protek skid, rockstars, bilsteins, made my own steering stabilizer relocation bracket, evap skid and a few other things

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok Eddie, thanks again, I will make sure the shafts I get have full circle clips, and I will get PS ball joints and Currie tie rod.in the meantime I will be installing my evo rock corners until the shafts get delivered. I have already installed my evo sleeves, gussets,lca skids, protek skid, rockstars, bilsteins, made my own steering stabilizer relocation bracket, evap skid and a few other things

Wow, sounds like you've been busy!! You need to post up some pics of all that you've been doing :yup:

bob-o12jk

Banned
Wow, sounds like you've been busy!! You need to post up some pics of all that you've been doing :yup:

Ya I have been, I work on my jeep 5 to 6 days a week for a few hours each day. I also made some rock sliders for my rubi rails too and made some reinforcements so the factory brackets wont fold as easy. I will try them out and will eventually get the evo sliders

bob-o12jk

Banned
ForumRunner_20121204_094453.png

ForumRunner_20121204_094713.jpg

ForumRunner_20121204_094733.jpg

ForumRunner_20121204_094750.jpg

ForumRunner_20121204_094808.jpg

ForumRunner_20121204_094821.jpg

ForumRunner_20121204_094837.png
I hope the guys at evo don't get mad at me for the psc skins lol. I got a deal on them that I couldnt pass up

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121204_094515.png
    ForumRunner_20121204_094515.png
    434 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You really need to be posting these up as separate show off threads or write-ups!! It'll make it easier for more people to see them and I think they will want to :thumb:

Top Bottom