Buying a JKU

P1TBU11

I'm looking at trading my wife's car in on a JKU. I found a decent deal on a 13 JKUR, but it was a standard and her only demand is that it has an automatic transmission.

Pricing is crazy on these things. I can get a brand new one for a little more than most of the used ones I've seen. I've even seen similarly equipped used sports priced higher than new ones. I can't figure out why there is so much discrepancy in the pricing.

I did find a good priced '13. But it's RHD and I'm pretty sure it's done time on a mail route. :/

I'm trying to decide if I should favor the 3.8 or 3.6. Seems to be no price diff in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

Steer clear of the 3.8 for sure if your budget allows. I bought new because it was only a couple thousand more than used. Be real sure about what you're buying it for also. You can buy a Rubicon and save a lot of money down the road versus buying a sport or Sahara. Nothing wrong with them, just think long term.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I'm looking at trading my wife's car in on a JKU. I found a decent deal on a 13 JKUR, but it was a standard and her only demand is that it has an automatic transmission.

Pricing is crazy on these things. I can get a brand new one for a little more than most of the used ones I've seen. I've even seen similarly equipped used sports priced higher than new ones. I can't figure out why there is so much discrepancy in the pricing.

I did find a good priced '13. But it's RHD and I'm pretty sure it's done time on a mail route. :/

I'm trying to decide if I should favor the 3.8 or 3.6. Seems to be no price diff in my neck of the woods.

The 3.8 isn't terrible, it is mostly the higher geared automatic trans that really makes it feel underpowered. If you really aren't seeing that big of a price difference you might be better off going new, mostly for the warranty. I can't really speak to the pricing differences, I see them in my area as well. And personally, I would avoid a RHD JKU.

jeeeep

Hooked

if your wife will be the primary driver, I'd get the 3.6 - not so much for the power but the auto transmission is so much smoother on the 3.6 versus the 3.8.

I have a 2010 and a 2015 and can tell you the smoothness of the 3.6 transmission makes it so much easier to drive, especially on longer trips.

I always feel like I've worked after driving my 2010, IMO that transmission was never geared properly.

pricing is all over the map and I found most dealers feel they've hit the goldmine and price every Jeep like it's a Rubicon model. I bought a 2015 Sport because it was not much more than used for the same options.

Havoc40

I ran into the same thing when buying my Jeep. Originally I tracked down a Gecko (love that color) '13 JKUR with 20k on it. Because they're relatively hard to find, the stealerships had them priced almost exactly the same as new. I decided to order a new '14 JKUR, and with employee pricing it was actually a few grand less than the '13.

I'd also get the 3.6 over the 3.8

Grubbicon

Steer clear of the 3.8 for sure if your budget allows. I bought new because it was only a couple thousand more than used. Be real sure about what you're buying it for also. You can buy a Rubicon and save a lot of money down the road versus buying a sport or Sahara. Nothing wrong with them, just think long term.

Id agree that a Rubicon would most likely be cheaper in the end. Id assume your wife isnt looking to build a rig on tons and things like that and in that case it would work out better in the end if she going to wheel it. But again this is just assuming. If yall plan on doing an axle swap and things like that id just get a sport.

Pyro1415

if your wife will be the primary driver, I'd get the 3.6 - not so much for the power but the auto transmission is so much smoother on the 3.6 versus the 3.8.

I have a 2010 and a 2015 and can tell you the smoothness of the 3.6 transmission makes it so much easier to drive, especially on longer trips.

I always feel like I've worked after driving my 2010, IMO that transmission was never geared properly.

pricing is all over the map and I found most dealers feel they've hit the goldmine and price every Jeep like it's a Rubicon model. I bought a 2015 Sport because it was not much more than used for the same options.

Same having a 2010 Auto I'd recommend the 3.6 if you have to get an auto, you can talk the price down I promise you. I bought mine at 2 years old for 6k under NADA you just have to be willing to walk away. Having tried to trade mine in in the Alabama/ Mississippi area I can promise you none of those dealers paid more than Fair trade in value on Nada, know that going and point out every scratch or flaw it has, you can talk them down.

P1TBU11

Was looking on lots. Was going to trade our prius in...one Jeep dealer offered me less than half of payoff and explained to me that a Prius just isn't economical for someone that lives in the country and has to drive long distances to do things like get to work or the grocery store.....I didn't even offer a rebuttal. The car gets 45 mpg. No idea what his rationale is but as soon as they start treating me like an idiot, I walk away.

Top Bottom