Gussets

MBezner

About to sleeve and gusset a 30. Right now the axle is stripped bare and off the jeep. Do I need to install ball joints and knuckle before I weld the gussets on? Will the heat spread the C if I don't have the knuckles on?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
About to sleeve and gusset a 30. Right now the axle is stripped bare and off the jeep. Do I need to install ball joints and knuckle before I weld the gussets on? Will the heat spread the C if I don't have the knuckles on?

Nope. Feel free to weld without the knuckle installed. However, I would still weld in sections to prevent everything from getting too hot.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If anything, you really DO NOT want the ball joints installed when you weld on your gussets. The components inside the joints are made of plastic and even if you take your time, there is a very good chance you will melt them and that will lead to other issues like death wobble. Trust me, I have seen it happen many times over the years.

MBezner

I had the exact same thoughts on the ball joints. Just didn't know because there are so many videos of people welding them on with the knuckles in place. I've melted plenty of plastic seals that I really didn't want to take that chance with the ball joints, and then drive down the highway at speed. Thanks for the reassurance!

Top Bottom