Decission to be made new wrangler or new truck

Pyro1415

So moving to Alaska in July and my wife has been awesome and told me I could buy a truck if I pay off the Jeep.

Summary to avoid my rambling
A: 2010 JKU that needs a lot of money sunk into it plus a HD truck
B: 2016 Rubicon JKU and a truck or car in a few years
C: Sell the jeep, buy the truck and be debt free!!!!!!

My Jeep, a 2010 Sport Unlimited, is gutless and needs gears + some other extras, plus it has an auto which I hate. The good is that I don't have much money invested into it so I can easily sell it for what I have in.

The truck she has given me permission to buy is a F250/350 with the diesel 2012 or newer. Chevy and Dodge guys they are still in the running, I will go with whatever is the best deal at the time.

So I can keep the 2010 JKU and get me the truck or I can get my wife a smaller truck which she wants, sell my jeep and buy a 16 Rubicon.
I like the idea of a Rubicon because I would just run 35s and a 2.5" lift for the next few years and be content. The 16' would give me more power, better gearing, better interior, and lockers although I'm worried about the issues the 3.6 has. My worry with this is what if the JL comes out and its just leagues better than the JK I'd feel some heavy regret, but also I remember hearing all the issues the early JK's had so maybe it will be the same with the JL.

gurjeezy

So moving to Alaska in July and my wife has been awesome and told me I could buy a truck if I pay off the Jeep.

My two cents:
I agree with your plan. Personally with a move like that, I'd like to start fresh and have some peace of mind. I'm sure there are plenty of reputable Jeep shops around the area you're moving to but personally, I shop online for parts and do the work myself. Keep in mind if you're on the same boat then you're going to be paying a lot more for shipping to Alaska than the lower 48 states, and there are even companies who don't ship to Alaska/Hawaii at all. Atleast you wont have to worry about needing new parts on your gutted 2010.

You could also get a truck only and be debt free. Only if your Wrangler doesn't come haunt you in the long winter nights :thumb:

Also, I'd feel much safer buying a end of the generation JK than a First year JL, but that is highly subjective.

Last edited:

Pyro1415

My two cents:
I agree with your plan. Personally with a move like that, I'd like to start fresh and have some peace of mind. I'm sure there are plenty of reputable Jeep shops around the area you're moving to but personally, I shop online for parts and do the work myself. Keep in mind if you're on the same boat then you're going to be paying a lot more for shipping to Alaska than the lower 48 states, and there are even companies who don't ship to Alaska/Hawaii at all. Atleast you wont have to worry about needing new parts on your gutted 2010.

You could also get a truck only and be debt free. Only if your Wrangler doesn't come haunt you in the long winter nights :thumb:

Oh I'm a jeeper for life, it's just the wallet screams take a break lol.
I do all the work and most the fab myself. Coming from Germany shipping to Alaska will be cheap, which I will hardly have anything for it shipped there, since I'll throw the lift into the trailer down in Alabama. The truck will hands down be 4x4 just not sure if ill want to take that beast off road.

Gutted 2010? Gutless that 3.8 has no power at all lol.

seanb123

My Jeep, a 2010 Sport Unlimited, is gutless and needs gears + some other extras, plus it has an auto which I hate. The good is that I don't have much money invested into it so I can easily sell it for what I have in.

The truck she has given me permission to buy is a F250/350 with the diesel 2012 or newer. Chevy and Dodge guys they are still in the running, I will go with whatever is the best deal at the time.

So I can keep the 2010 JKU and get me the truck or I can get my wife a smaller truck which she wants, sell my jeep and buy a 16 Rubicon.
I like the idea of a Rubicon because I would just run 35s and a 2.5" lift for the next few years and be content. The 16' would give me more power, better gearing, better interior, and lockers although I'm worried about the issues the 3.6 has. My worry with this is what if the JL comes out and its just leagues better than the JK I'd feel some heavy regret, but also I remember hearing all the issues the early JK's had so maybe it will be the same with the JL.

I'd keep the 2010 get a truck and trailer the jeep if you need to. It's a nice piece of mind knowing if you break something you just have to get back to the trail head. Also if the jl is that great you can always sell your 2010. You can always throw a more reliable locker in the rear when you regear and save for a prorock. I don't trust the 3.6 either.

Pyro1415

I'd keep the 2010 get a truck and trailer the jeep if you need to. It's a nice piece of mind knowing if you break something you just have to get back to the trail head. Also if the jl is that great you can always sell your 2010. You can always throw a more reliable locker in the rear when you regear and save for a prorock. I don't trust the 3.6 either.

I'd still drive it to the trail, I don't do severe enough stuff to go trailer yet. Plus the truck would be to pull a travel trailer for the family. The JK price would drop hard after the JL releases and once it's paid off it wont be being sold, for the price of buying the JL I can get that LS3 and be happy.

Right now the plan is before heading up(if I keep the Jeep) is 5.13 gears and an eaton e in the rear. With a pr44 in the future.

crowrb29

Get a power wagon. All the perks of having a rubicon and having an HD truck. The hemi does suck up lots of gas though.

seanb123

I'd still drive it to the trail, I don't do severe enough stuff to go trailer yet. Plus the truck would be to pull a travel trailer for the family. The JK price would drop hard after the JL releases and once it's paid off it wont be being sold, for the price of buying the JL I can get that LS3 and be happy.

Right now the plan is before heading up(if I keep the Jeep) is 5.13 gears and an eaton e in the rear. With a pr44 in the future.

That's a great gear locker combo I've been very happy with it. Well I'm sure you figure out what you want over time.

toxicwaste29

Get a truck and be debt free. I wouldn't buy a used truck since you never know how they were used specially up north they are used hard so I would buy it new. Another reason for a truck would be the extra bed space for that once a month trip into town if that's the case for you. I would not go dodge. Their trucks are cheap for a reason

Ddays

Hooked
I've bought first year vehicles twice and regretted it both times. Never again. Conventional wisdom says that the longer a vehicle has been around the more refinements made to it and issues engineered out. I'd buy a second year JL but no way a first year.

As far as trucks, man I see an awful lot of Dodges rusting out at the top of the rear wheel wells around here in Western Pa. We use a lot of road salt, true, but still, I don't see any Ford or Chevy's doing same. As far as Chevy vs. Ford, boy, that's a whole other forum! Couldn't go wrong on either probably.

As far as JK prices dropping when the JL comes out, do you really see that? IDK. I haven't really looked but I think TJ's are still pulling in a pretty penny. What would drop the prices on all Wranglers like a rock would be $4+ a barrel oil. That'd drive out most of the soccer mom purchasers

Pyro1415

Get a truck and be debt free. I wouldn't buy a used truck since you never know how they were used specially up north they are used hard so I would buy it new. Another reason for a truck would be the extra bed space for that once a month trip into town if that's the case for you. I would not go dodge. Their trucks are cheap for a reason
Truck I want is too much new. That new 6.7 though can take any abuse under 100k miles though. Plus new I definitely wouldn't be debt free lol.

Pyro1415

I've bought first year vehicles twice and regretted it both times. Never again. Conventional wisdom says that the longer a vehicle has been around the more refinements made to it and issues engineered out. I'd buy a second year JL but no way a first year.

As far as trucks, man I see an awful lot of Dodges rusting out at the top of the rear wheel wells around here in Western Pa. We use a lot of road salt, true, but still, I don't see any Ford or Chevy's doing same. As far as Chevy vs. Ford, boy, that's a whole other forum! Couldn't go wrong on either probably.

As far as JK prices dropping when the JL comes out, do you really see that? IDK. I haven't really looked but I think TJ's are still pulling in a pretty penny. What would drop the prices on all Wranglers like a rock would be $4+ a barrel oil. That'd drive out most of the soccer mom purchasers

Thanks for the life lessons learned. So won't be getting a first year jl. Jk took 3 years to avoid issues. I'm not saying a serious drop but definitely a few thousand.

2Cross

Caught the Bug

I'd go with option C. You can buy an old jeep and fix it up and it'll probably crawl better than a new JK or JL for less

seanb123

I'd go with option C. You can buy an old jeep and fix it up and it'll probably crawl better than a new JK or JL for less

There is some logic here. I don't see the use of a soft top wrangler in Alaska I could totally see a cheap xj build and be fairly debt free

Pyro1415

I love my jk. But I could definitely find a sport unlimited beat to hell for cheap and do what I want it like the above guy posted an xj. I have a hardtop and self installed heated seats so not too worried about the snow. Coming from Germany so I love the wrangler in the snow.

Pyro1415

Yeah I tend to avoid rocks mostly do trail running anyways so as long as it's got lockers and travel it will man handle my jku.

plext0r

I would consider a fourth option. Sell the 2010 and grab a used 2013 or 2014 JKU. The 2015 and 2016 computers are encrypted (last I remember) so engine tuning is out. I'm not sure you'd want to tune, but it's something to consider. Also, buying a one-year old vehicle can save you all that first-year depreciation and you still get a few years of factory warranty should anything bad happen.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I have a 2010 JKU and it was a little gutless. The programmer helped a lot but it doesn't bother me because I have a 4 cylinder YJ on 35s that's slower. I also have a 2002 F250 with the 7.3L that's almost at 300k miles. Still runs great and is perfect for towing. It's simple and has proven to last. I know you want a 2012 and up diesel but then you have to deal with emissions and a big price tag. I spent $11k on my truck which left me plenty left over to mod my jeeps. I don't know if you've every owned a diesel but you can find yourself on a slippery slope of expensive aftermarket parts. It's easy to talk yourself into injectors, exhaust, turbo upgrades and programmers. (I fully support by the way, lol) I would look for an older diesel/trailer keep the 2010 and make it sweet. If you do decide to go with an older Ford then stay away from the 6.0. Good luck.

Scrambler

I have a 2010 JKU and it was a little gutless. The programmer helped a lot but it doesn't bother me because I have a 4 cylinder YJ on 35s that's slower. I also have a 2002 F250 with the 7.3L that's almost at 300k miles. Still runs great and is perfect for towing. It's simple and has proven to last. I know you want a 2012 and up diesel but then you have to deal with emissions and a big price tag. I spent $11k on my truck which left me plenty left over to mod my jeeps. I don't know if you've every owned a diesel but you can find yourself on a slippery slope of expensive aftermarket parts. It's easy to talk yourself into injectors, exhaust, turbo upgrades and programmers. (I fully support by the way, lol) I would look for an older diesel/trailer keep the 2010 and make it sweet. If you do decide to go with an older Ford then stay away from the 6.0. Good luck.

x2 on the 7.3L. Very simple engines to modify, maintain, and fix. By far, my favorite truck that I have ever owned. Watch for diesel in the coolant reservoir, though. Ask me how I know. [emoji23]
Just saw you are going to have this vehicle in Alaska. They are a lot of fun to start when it's cold out and you forgot to plug it up.[emoji6]

Last edited:
Top Bottom