Electrical Help -

hbkid22

So I cannot figure out why my left rear driver brake and turn signal do not work....I have replaced the bulbs and replaced the multi-function switch. Could it be an issue with the fuse, ground or even a harness? Also, I have the same thing with my fog lights. They are after market and came on the jeep and worked initially but not dont work. They are wired into the lights so those have to be on if I want to turn the fog lights on but they wont turn on. I assume that one is a fuse but dont know much more than that....Not sure what fuse goes to what in the fuse box and or where after market fuses are placed. :)

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Start with your fuses. Should be a display of what they are under the lid of the fuse box.

On my 2014 I lost running lights on the driver side. Still had brake lights and turn signal though if I remember correctly. It ended up being a fuse. I had hooked up to a little trailer earlier that day and the driver side taillight of that trailer had a bad bulb.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely a fuse. I just had this exact same problem. If you ask JAGS, he'll probably even remember which one needs to be replaced :crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King
Addressing the brake light/turn signal: Unlikely a fuse as both rear lights would have issues. I would check power and ground at that LR bulb to start with. Make sure socket is tight and making a good connection.

Fog lights: Ohm out the bulbs to start with to see if they're good. Recently, two people on here had both bulbs fail at the same time. At the same time, check for water intrusion and corrosion at connectors.

That's where I would start.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Addressing the brake light/turn signal: Unlikely a fuse as both rear lights would have issues.

While I would have agreed with you and really, thinking that is the reason why I couldn't figure out my problem for so long, that is incorrect. On the JK, the passenger side and driver side lights operate off their own fuse.

WJCO

Meme King
While I would have agreed with you and really, thinking that is the reason why I couldn't figure out my problem for so long, that is incorrect. On the JK, the passenger side and driver side lights operate off their own fuse.

I noticed your post after I posted. I think we replied at the same time! I'm always open to learn something new. That is abnormal that they would use an individual fuse for each side. Thanks for the new info.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The fuse you want to check for the driver side is M17. M18 would be for the passenger side.

hbkid22

Awesome...Thanks all for the posts. I was trying to make sense of the fuse box diagram and was failing. I will take a look at M17 and see what happens.

Also, would a circuit detector be a valuable took for things like this in the future? Or just knowing the fuses and layout is enough?

hbkid22

Fog lights: Ohm out the bulbs to start with to see if they're good. Recently, two people on here had both bulbs fail at the same time. At the same time, check for water intrusion and corrosion at connectors.

I shouldnt even acknowledged this but I actually have not even tried to replace the bulbs on the fog lights.....:doh:

WJCO

Meme King
Also, would a circuit detector be a valuable tool for things like this in the future? Or just knowing the fuses and layout is enough?

Absolutely. I would buy a DVOM as opposed to a test light, as a test light can damage modules in some instances. I would go to local auto parts store and get a mid-priced one, 30-50 bucks. I use the 12V setting and Continuity setting more than anything. It's nice if you can get one that has an audible 'chime' when there is continuity so you don't have to look at the screen when you're in tight places. The other benefit to a DVOM is that you don't even have to pull the fuse to check them, you can just place the sharp probe on the metal part of the fuse and see if there is power there. HIGHLY recommended tool, I use mine at least a couple times a week.

hbkid22

Back to square one. Replaced the fuse and the rear tail light isn't working. The reverse light still works however. :/ any suggestions?

Also replaced the bulb in the fog lights and no luck. Would the next thing be to check the fuse for the after market lights or a ground?

WJCO

Meme King
Check power and ground at the bulbs. You should have both power and ground present at each socket/connector with the switch on. Start with the ground for the LR bulb light, make sure it is good. Then check power. Do the same for the foglights.

If you have no power at either fog lights, there's a good chance that it is the switch, but further testing will verify that for you.

Also at each location, check for corrosion or water evidence.

WJCO

Meme King
Also, I have the same thing with my fog lights. They are after market and came on the jeep and worked initially but not dont work. They are wired into the lights so those have to be on if I want to turn the fog lights on but they wont turn on.

I just re-read your original post. What lights on your vehicle have to be on for your foglights to work? Headlights you mean? Also, aftermarket fuses are generally near the load itself (the bulbs) or near the positive end of the battery cable at the battery.

They'll look like this:
fuse.jpg

hbkid22

I just re-read your original post. What lights on your vehicle have to be on for your foglights to work? Headlights you mean? Also, aftermarket fuses are generally near the load itself (the bulbs) or near the positive end of the battery cable at the battery.

They'll look like this:
View attachment 166271

So that looks familiar and I was not sure if that was for the fog lights or not.....I will take a look at that later today and see.

As for the rear lights, I will take them apart and check the grounds....I have pulled them apart a couple times already trying to install the EVO skins and nothing looked out whack but then again I am not the most knowledgeable at this stuff....Trying to learn.

Thanks again.

WJCO

Meme King
No prob. Doesn't look like we're that far from each other. If you can't get it and you're down in this area, let me know and I'll try to help you out. I'm rarely up there anymore.

hbkid22

No prob. Doesn't look like we're that far from each other. If you can't get it and you're down in this area, let me know and I'll try to help you out. I'm rarely up there anymore.

Thanks for the offer! I will let you know for sure. Gonna give it another whirl this weekend and go from there.

Top Bottom