Front driveshaft leak question

Wethy

In lifting my jeep I was aware I would need a front driveshaft sooner or later and I'm sure this is a first rate example how quickly one might need a new driveshaft but I have a question. It seems like the driveshaft boot clip is leaking on my front DS. I haven't flexed it yet since I haven't relocated the brake lines.

is a little bit of grease something I need to worry about?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443048662.051014.jpg

The plan is to get a JE reel 1310/50 DS so maybe I'll be getting it sooner than later

Also jeeps still under warranty so I may take it to see if they'll cover it and go from there opinions are appreciated on what I should do

Last edited:

jkuone

Doesn't really look like anything to worry about to me. Is there any grease slung up on belly anywhere ? Normal seepage from parts like that collect dirt and grime and make it look worse . Take it in and have it checked out since still under warranty for piece of mind.

Wethy

Doesn't really look like anything to worry about to me. Is there any grease slung up on belly anywhere ? Normal seepage from parts like that collect dirt and grime and make it look worse . Take it in and have it checked out since still under warranty for piece of mind.

Or and even the grease that's there doesn't come off when touched it to see how wet it is

USMC Wrangler

I have a similar, but smaller spot with only 20k miles on my '13 with pretty mild wheeling and mostly highway driving. I plan on taking it to the dealership soon for a checkup. Let us know what yours says.

Wethy

My jeep actually hasn't even been off-road since I put my lift In ha ha it so very unfortunate

USMC Wrangler

I noticed mine as I was installing the EVO leveling kit. It doesn't seem to have gotten worse with the new springs...just for reference.

Wethy

I noticed mine as I was installing the EVO leveling kit. It doesn't seem to have gotten worse with the new springs...just for reference.

Good to know I'll keep in that in mind and keep an eye on it till I can get it looked at the boot is in good shape but again appreciate the reference point

Itll probably be fine. You can have the dealer look as stated, but ultimately youll probably need one eventually so if its in the budget, id start shopping.

WJCO

Meme King
Looks like normal seepage to me. You can have them look at it, but don't be surprised if they say it's not an active leak. If you have a good relationship with your service writer, I would stop by there while you're nearby and just have him/her look at it real quick. That way you don't have to leave it for a whole day and have them tell you there is nothing wrong with it. I can tell you for sure from an extended warranty point of view, it would be considered "not active to a drip," "seepage only," or "no failure verified." FYI.

Wethy

Looks like normal seepage to me. You can have them look at it, but don't be surprised if they say it's not an active leak. If you have a good relationship with your service writer, I would stop by there while you're nearby and just have him/her look at it real quick. That way you don't have to leave it for a whole day and have them tell you there is nothing wrong with it. I can tell you for sure from an extended warranty point of view, it would be considered "not active to a drip," "seepage only," or "no failure verified." FYI.

the dealership around me has been pretty good and i figured they'd be able to tell if it was a big deal just by looking at it. so thats the plan. but thanks for the heads up

Top Bottom