Unlimited Sport or Rubicon for new build?

FlFlatlander

So, my question is where to start - wrangler unlimited sport or rubicon. I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question.

This will be my first venture into the land of building up a Jeep. I have other vehicles and my use for this is to support my outdoor habits (MTB, Surf, Kite, etc), basically something I can get muddy, be muddy, and then just hose off when the wife insists. All of these require a fair bit of highway driving so onroad comfort is probably a priority but do plan on occasionally something more than just the beach and trails leading to trailheads. My initial thoughts have been to use AEV products for the bumpers, hood, and wheels (i just like the way they look and seem to be quality). Based on this forum I have been looking at the EVO products for the lift package. As I said, I am completely new to this and clearly don't understand the details.

Welcome to WAL. just depends on your end game and budget. Rubicons come factory with several things sports do not, all of which can be bought aftermarket, and probably of better quality.

Edit: to add to that, most of those parts that Rubicons come with are more than enought for your average wheeling. As said, just depends on how hard your gonna play.

Last edited:

FlFlatlander

While I am less concerned about budget, I just hate spending money on things I won't use or will just discard. I guess it comes down to is having the improved front axle, 4.10 gearing, and differentials worth the extra $. I would want at least the 3.73 gearing if Im planning on 35s wouldn't I?

Pyro1415

In my experience 35s and smaller tires a rubicon is pretty hard to beat. I wish I had started with that because I wouldn't be in such a rush to upgrade now. I vote rubicon unless you plan on going really extreme really soon.

vitodivita

I had the same dilemma and ultimately decided on a sport. Regeared it to 4.88 two weeks later, 35s and new suspension.

You can't go wrong either way imo, I traded a higher payment for a lot of up front upgrades.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
You won't be disappointed. As mentioned above, the nice thing about going the Rubicon route is how capable they are right out of the gate. No need for upgrades right away especially for the uses you've mentioned. You also have the options such as NAV and heated seats and whatnot that you can't get in a sport...at least couldn't when i bought mine. Its easy to get gung-ho on mods and start building or build planning, which there is nothing wrong with, but take it out as is and see how much you really need an go from there.

jeeeep

Hooked
the 3.6 rubicon with 4.10 gears will get you going on 35's, the extra power seems to handle it well.

If you're going with an automatic then I'd get the stock 3.73's and upgrade to 4.88's for 35's - but even an auto does well running 4.10's with the extra power and transmission of the 3.6

bkac

Caught the Bug
I would get the auto, rubicon, 4.10s, and 35's. It will work great for the time being. I've ran and wheeled this setup for some time. The auto is the way to go...

RedRum

Here's a video of a rubicon on 35s with a leveling kit ... I didn't wanna rip out my rubicon suspension right away wanted to use some of what I paid for
http://youtu.be/ENrtKUUxzBI

Went from a sport to a rubicon and don't regret it

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
2014 rubi, auto 4.10s and 35s. Haven't done a lot offroad but love it on road. For my driving and terrain it performs perfect on road, can't complain one bit. It cruises at 70 or 75 and gets the same mpg as it was getting when it was stock. The 35s dropped the RPMs down compared to stock tires.

If you will stay with 35s or smaller or will be on 35s for a while (like until it's paid off like me most likely) than get the rubi if you can afford it. You will just need bumpers, winch, and skid plates (at least oil pan and the tranny skid if it's auto) and then go play!

Edit to add: recovery gear also!

plext0r

If I was buying a Jeep again, I'd have gotten a Rubicon that was not already lifted. Back in April 2015 I purchased a 2008 JKU that was already lifted by the previous owner. This was a mistake because a month or two later I ended up buying the EVO 4" springs and Fox Racing 2" shocks since the existing lift was low-end and one of the springs broke (can you say Rough Country?). Since investing $1,200 in the shocks and springs, the Jeep has driven much better.

Unfortunately my son went through some deep water and flooded the transmission, so now I'm "investing" another $2,500-$2,800 to rebuild. I didn't realize a Jeep was going to be such a money pit when I bought it. :doh:

Last edited:

ClarksAdventures

If I was buying a Jeep again, I'd have gotten a Rubicon that was not already lifted. Back in April 2015 I purchased a 2008 JKU that was already lifted by the previous owner. This was a mistake because a month or two later I ended up buying the EVO 4" springs and Fox Racing 2" shocks since the existing lift was low-end and one of the springs broke (can you say Rough Country?). Since investing $1,200 in the shocks and springs, the Jeep has driven much better.

Unfortunately my son went through some deep water and flooded the transmission, so now I'm "investing" another $2,500-$2,800 to rebuild. I didn't realize a Jeep was going to be such a money pit when I bought it. :doh:

What do you mean you didn't know it would be a money pit. It says it right on your title.

Make: Jeep (JustEmptyEveryPocket)

[emoji12]

YellowJK

It's pretty simple on these kind of threads. If you ever think you are going to get into 37's+ I would always buy a sport with a few upgrades to interior.

The axles will be gone. The TC will be gone. Almost everything will be gone.

If you are going to never go over 35's, the stock Rubi stuff can handle plenty.

thardy

Banned
It's pretty simple on these kind of threads. If you ever think you are going to get into 37's+ I would always buy a sport with a few upgrades to interior.

The axles will be gone. The TC will be gone. Almost everything will be gone.

If you are going to never go over 35's, the stock Rubi stuff can handle plenty.

Welcome to Wayalife! Why do you say almost everything from a stock rubi is replaced to run 37s?

Top Bottom