Replaced Airbags and Module and Jeep Won't Start

balm426

I need some help here. I hate for this to be my first post but I've been reading on here for a solid 2 weeks since we bought our 2010 JKU.

I got it wrecked and the airbags were deployed and the seatbelts were locked. I have fixed all damage, added a 2.5" Teraflex budget boost, 35" tires and new front bumper the last couple days. I replaced the airbags, airbag module and seatbelts yesterday. Now it won't start, won't even crank over. When I turn the key all the dash lights come on but it won't turn over. There are the normal sounds under the hood that we had before it started and ran yesterday morning before replacing these last few parts.

Battery is brand new, and I just checked it to make sure it is good. All ground connections looks good. I have pulled and re-seated all fuses.

I am stuck, don't know what else to try. Any info would be very helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 54

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
You say you got it wrecked. Was it running before you changed out the airbags? Many vehicles have an ignition disable circuit that is interconnected to the airbags. Might want to look into how to reset that circuit.

Also, did you pull the battery and let it sit disconnected for a bit of time? That can help reset things in certain situations.

balm426

Yes, it was running perfectly. I drove it about 20 miles to see how it drove before I touched anything. I started it and drove it around the building the morning before replacing the parts.

I have read every post and tried everything I have found so far with no luck. The battery has been disconnected a bunch of times trying different things.

WJCO

Meme King
I would first start by checking to make sure you have power coming out of your ignition switch. I would specifically look for any loose connections around your ignition switch and clockspring. That's where I would start. Next, maybe check with the parts department where you got the airbags/modules to see if they have any info on if specific modules have to be re-programmed when they are replaced.

SFNick

I would check your connections to the ignitions. I don't run a clock spring, airbag or factory seat belts on my Jeep, so I wouldn't think that any of those would affect yours from stating.

balm426

That is my current plan, retrace all my steps from yesterday and see if anything was left unplugged. It's pouring here so I have to wait a little while.

I bought the 2 airbags and the airbag module from another wrecked jeep that were not blown. I was wondering if the new airbag module is disarming the system and not allowing it to start. Is there a way to reprogram the system? An ignition trick?

I would first start by checking to make sure you have power coming out of your ignition switch. I would specifically look for any loose connections around your ignition switch and clockspring. That's where I would start. Next, maybe check with the parts department where you got the airbags/modules to see if they have any info on if specific modules have to be re-programmed when they are replaced.

toxicwaste29

I know Ford has a fuel shut off for when they are wrecked. It sits in the passenger kick panel and needs reset after a wreck.

balm426

I've driven it and started it 25 times since it was wrecked.

I just plugged in an OBD II reader and it only comes up as "NO LINK". Any idea what that means?

WJCO

Meme King
I just plugged in an OBD II reader and it only comes up as "NO LINK". Any idea what that means?

Check to make sure your DLC (data link connector) is actually plugged in and tight and wires have good continuity, check any grounds too. And check all fuses. Also check all modules for tight connections. Any aftermarket accessories that may be wired in these areas?

balm426

Just got it to start, haven't driven it yet but it started. I put the original airbag module in it and it started right away.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

WJCO

Meme King
Cool. So either the module you got was wrong or it needs to be programmed to your vehicle. Either way, at least you're Jeeping again.

balm426

The original airbag module is working now. The only issue I still have is that the airbag light is on. Does anyone know if I can get it reflashed and get the lights off?

Cool. So either the module you got was wrong or it needs to be programmed to your vehicle. Either way, at least you're Jeeping again.

WJCO

Meme King
Maybe. To the best of my knowledge a dealer will have to. Also, some manufacturers will purposefully have a code that will stay set any time an airbag deploys so that certain parts have to be changed to remove the light (ie modules, pretensioners, etc). I think it's probably a liability issue. Typically speaking too, if your air bag light is on, and you get in an accident, your airbags may not deploy, not good.

With that being said, since you've already purchased the new module, I would go down to your dealer and explain the situation. If installing the new module is fairly accessible, I wouldn't think they would charge you more than an hour labor for a re-flash. Other option would be call a well-known body shop in your area and explain the situation. Although they might not be as technically inclined, they deal with your exact scenario probably daily as airbags are deployed in accidents and they have to figure out how to get the light turned off.

Top Bottom