TX PEOPLE : Advice is needed for a upcoming trip Im planning

daverawr

So this winter me and my girlfriend along with our dogs are planning to do a bit of camping / trails.
On the list so far i have 3 potential areas of which im thinking of.
1.) Big Bend national park 2.) Guadalupe Mtn. 3.) Barnwell Mtn.

Im kinda veering away from Guadalupe Mtn. for the reason seems to be alot of rules, such as no fires, ( has to be propane fire to cook ), and im not sure about diriving i could only expect no driving since there is no fires allowed. which is boring in my book and takes away some of the camping experience. ( This will be my Girlfriends first time camping big time aside from a trip we have next weekend with other wayalifers which will be a 1 night camping trip )
So i guess ill list what im kinda looking for so maybe if there are other options you guys know of you can recommend them!
I would like for there to be trails we can drive on for miles and stop somewhere and camp wherever and just enjoy the point of exploring, and then do some hiking with the dogs and stuff.! Somewhere where the scenery is beautiful around that time of the year etc. Distance isnt a big problem. 8 hrs maybe the max amount of time from Houston.

But thats mainly the thing. Trails to run, and good scenery! Not super technical trails, as my Jeep is a daily, and it needs to get us back home from there! Jeep is a rubicon on a spacer lift and 35s, with winch. so where ever it is, i want the jeep to be capable of going in and coming out ! Especially if we go by ourselves. as of now that is the plan! Unless i talk her into making it maybe 4-5 rigs from other wayalifers. Dont want a huge group so we can get close knit group together if that becomes a possibility. !

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

Big Bend has a couple of trails that aren't bad at all and very scenic, nothing you couldn't handle on your own. I think it can be pretty harsh in the winter if your tent camping though, same goes for Guadalupe Mountains.

daverawr

Big Bend has a couple of trails that aren't bad at all and very scenic, nothing you couldn't handle on your own. I think it can be pretty harsh in the winter if your tent camping though, same goes for Guadalupe Mountains.

We will be tent camping, harsh as in just super cold at nights im guessing? please explain, If you know around the lowest the temps will go would be helpful so we can plan purchasing gear around these statistics of terrain and weather.

Jackal01

We will be tent camping, harsh as in just super cold at nights im guessing? please explain, If you know around the lowest the temps will go would be helpful so we can plan purchasing gear around these statistics of terrain and weather.

best way to get weather info is search for the weather almanac for the area you are wanting to go.

daverawr

best way to get weather info is search for the weather almanac for the area you are wanting to go.

Got the weather online!, now the problem is from what i read up on their site ( big bend ) they also dont allow in ground campfires, and youre not allowed to hike with your dogs, dogs can go only as far as your car can go. Im not sure why. but thats a big bummer. Leashing i understand but not being able to hike with them ? :(

Exodus 4x4

Actually if a cold front isn't blowing through its not that bad, but it seems like every time I've been out there at that time there's one blowing through. I could handle it but my wife, not so much.

Exodus 4x4

Check out Seminole Canyon state park. Might not be as picky and has some interesting history. No jeep trails though.

USMC Wrangler

Yeah, Big Bend has had ice and snow in the higher elevations that past few winters. Those are usually in January and February, but had snow last Christmas. No ground fires and it's true about no dogs on trails. The Rangers will literally track you down and issue a ticket for that stuff. They are also very serious about staying on established roads. The no pets thing, according to NPS, is to prevent wildlife attacks, pet attacks on wildlife and of course some people don't clean up after themselves let alone their pets. So the masses are punished for the acts of a few.

It is a beautiful place, but just read up on the rules before making the long drive. I can't speak about the other places.

daverawr

Check out Seminole Canyon state park. Might not be as picky and has some interesting history. No jeep trails though.

No Jeep trails as in Technical trails? or no trails to just cruise down in general? Looked it up looks like a good candidate

Yeah, Big Bend has had ice and snow in the higher elevations that past few winters. Those are usually in January and February, but had snow last Christmas. No ground fires and it's true about no dogs on trails. The Rangers will literally track you down and issue a ticket for that stuff. They are also very serious about staying on established roads. The no pets thing, according to NPS, is to prevent wildlife attacks, pet attacks on wildlife and of course some people don't clean up after themselves let alone their pets. So the masses are punished for the acts of a few.

It is a beautiful place, but just read up on the rules before making the long drive. I can't speak about the other places.

Just after some short research found a place up by Amarillo, called Palo Duro Canyon? Which has trails to drive over (cruise I doubt it will be anything technical which is fine) but they allow dogs, in ground campfires etc, Says trails are 30 miles. which is enough well ones that are marked i will be doing some more reasearch to see if there is more ( probably calling them pretty soon ) but as of now, its one of the stronger candidates for the trip, will be in december or thanksgiving. So hopefully just cold and no snow. or maybe light snow but from what i know amarillo dose snow a bit during the winter months so maybe thanks giving. ill do research and see what is best, and talk it over with the girlfriend!

Top Bottom