Track bar

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Factory with raised trackbar mount and DL flip kit

^^^this.

I originally used a Synergy Track Bar. After 2 worn our bushings in 20,000mi, I gave up and went back to the factory track bar. Axle is less than an 1/8" off center.

jeeeep

Hooked
Factory with raised trackbar mount and DL flip kit

if you have a lift then chances are your track bar and draglink aren't as parallel as they could be.

I have a 3.5" lift with adjustable track bar, it works and I have no drive issues but the minimal difference in price of an adjustable track bar or a DL Flip kit, I'd go with the flip kit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking to upgrade my track bar to adjustable to center my axle better what's everyone using??

As mentioned, I would recommend that you just keep your factory track bar and install a relocation bracket with a drag link flip. Of course, this is assuming you are sitting at about 3" of lift or more. If not, an adjustable track bar will help to recenter your axle but really, it's not critical that you do. Certainly, it won't effect anything if you don't and really, as soon as you load up your Jeep and have a full tank of gas, it'll shift over a bit anyway. Just the nature of how track bars work.

Exodus 4x4

As mentioned, I would recommend that you just keep your factory track bar and install a relocation bracket with a drag link flip. Of course, this is assuming you are sitting at about 3" of lift or more. If not, an adjustable track bar will help to recenter your axle but really, it's not critical that you do. Certainly, it won't effect anything if you don't and really, as soon as you load up your Jeep and have a full tank of gas, it'll shift over a bit anyway. Just the nature of how track bars work.

I just ordered the Evo DL flip kit. I already have an adjustable track bar that came with my 4" lift. Should I toss it and go back to the stock? Can't really think of a reason why I would keep the adjustable, just thought I'd ask.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just ordered the Evo DL flip kit. I already have an adjustable track bar that came with my 4" lift. Should I toss it and go back to the stock? Can't really think of a reason why I would keep the adjustable, just thought I'd ask.

The only problem you might encounter with keeping the adjustable track bar is that the shortest length you can set it at will most likely be longer than stock. This will cause an over-correction in your axle position. For this reason and others, I personally would go back to stock.

Exodus 4x4

The only problem you might encounter with keeping the adjustable track bar is that the shortest length you can set it at will most likely be longer than stock. This will cause an over-correction in your axle position. For this reason and others, I personally would go back to stock.

I was thinking that too. Thanks

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Also, pretty sure the stock track bar is forged, and it is pretty strong. It's still able to be bent when wheeled hard, but it's cheap to replace or carry a spare, and won't completely snap on you like some other adjustable bars can. Pretty sure Mel Wade's EVO 1 still runs a stock track bar, and it's run KOH a few times, the Vegas to Reno race, and multiple JKXs.

gary2

I don't care for big soft bushings and a bar that flexes just doing a simple dry steering test. I don't want my front axle moving left or right any more than needed as that translate to steering wheel corrections noticeable or not. With that said , I used the Synergy mount and track bar . Because I have dealt with poor steering boxes in the past between my Dodge Rams and TJs, I added the Synergysector shaft brace as well.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I don't care for big soft bushings and a bar that flexes just doing a simple dry steering test. I don't want my front axle moving left or right any more than needed as that translate to steering wheel corrections noticeable or not. With that said , I used the Synergy mount and track bar . Because I have dealt with poor steering boxes in the past between my Dodge Rams and TJs, I added the Synergysector shaft brace as well.

You mean like this:
https://youtu.be/yZk46s_Mk2k

This was the Synergy Track Bar after about 12,000mi. They sent a replacement bushing and it just went out after another 9,000mi. They sent an updated bushing to me, but when I was swapping it out, I found the axle side Hiem joint was shot. I finally gave up and went back the factory track bar. I noticed ZERO change going back to the factory track bar and my axle is less than an 1/8" off center.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I went with Teraflex monster. Seems to be holding up.

Mine held up like a spaghetti noodle. Not once, but twice. Keep your eye on it. Luckily both of mine failed on the trail and not the highway at 70mph. Sure, they replaced it both times. But that didn't help me at all when I was stranded halfway down the trail Axle Alley in Florence, AZ, figuring out how to use 5 ratchet straps as a mock track bar to limp it off the trail.

423521_3125280844708_540842230_n.jpg

Last edited:

gary2

You mean like this:
https://youtu.be/yZk46s_Mk2k

This was the Synergy Track Bar after about 12,000mi. They sent a replacement bushing and it just went out after another 9,000mi. They sent an updated bushing to me, but when I was swapping it out, I found the axle side Hiem joint was shot. I finally gave up and went back the factory track bar. I noticed ZERO change going back to the factory track bar and my axle is less than an 1/8" off center.

Naturally no one wants a worn out joint like that but I am sure common sense would tell you that. I only went with it because I see so many recommend it which should probably tell me something else. I seen the OE bar flexing and I didn't want that either so I read the forums . It was against my better judgement to install a Heim on any of my suspension components on a DD. It was common knowledge in the TJ forums they don't last on the road. But again the bar was recommended every time I turned around so I figure maybe I missed a new and improved version while being a loyal Johnny Joint user. Now I will have to pay more attention as to who is giving the advice and why.

Top Bottom