Does this make sense?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Can front and rear axle have different gear ratios as long as front driveshaft is disconnected? When I go to swap out my D30, I'm ordering the new front axle with lower gearing (5.13). I want to swap out the front axle myself to save some money and only pay for gears and install for rear (currently 4.10). I'm wondering if the different ratios will work so long as ds is not connected?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
nmwranglerx said:
Can front and rear axle have different gear ratios as long as front driveshaft is disconnected? When I go to swap out my D30, I'm ordering the new front axle with lower gearing (5.13). I want to swap out the front axle myself to save some money and only pay for gears and install for rear (currently 4.10). I'm wondering if the different ratios will work so long as ds is not connected?

As long as the fronts disconnected your fine

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Technically, so long as you leave your T-case in 2WD, you don't even have to remove your front drive shaft. Trust me, I know people who've had different gear ratios installed front to rear by mistake and only found out once they were on the trail. :shock:

EDIT : looks like Chris beat me to it :crazyeyes:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
As long as the fronts disconnected your fine

That's what I figured, just wanted a confirmation from someone else, thanks :thumb:

Trust me, I know people who've had different gear ratios installed front to rear by mistake and only found out once they were on the trail. :shock:

Wow, that would be a bad way to find out indeed. Guess I need to count some gear teeth before hitting the trails, lol...

Top Bottom