stiffer shocks or heavier springs, any suggestions....

IgotaWoody39

Since putting LOD's roof rack on and then a rooftop tent, I now have what seems to me, to much weight on the roof,,,,Jeep has sway in turns long or short....I am running AEV dual sport 4.5 lift with blistens 5100 series shocks, no resevoir , 35" pro comp muds.....the roof top tent weigh's in at 100lbs, and LOD's rack has gotta be around 150 lbs...any suggestions ??

jeeeep

Hooked
if you look at your aev coils they're probably flat on the dual rate portion and pretty compressed on the remaining coils, putting all the work on the shocks.
I'd get a heavier coil for your setup, Rancho 9000 shocks so you can adjust the firmness and maybe some wheel spacers to get a slighty wider stance to help stabilize the extra top forces....:beer:

RockyJk

Maybe try looking at the old man emu coils? I think they are made for overland/expedition type builds and probably stiffer than your aev coils

highoctane

Caught the Bug
How hard is the tent to remove/install? Maybe remove the tent unless you plan to actually use it more often than every other week.

jeeeep

Hooked
Maybe try looking at the old man emu coils? I think they are made for overland/expedition type builds and probably stiffer than your aev coils

these would be good, you can order them for the extra weight of the tent and rack

jeeeep

Hooked
another option is clayton offroad coils, they also have a coil rated for more weight in 3.5" and 4.5"

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm going to go against everyone else and say that it is because of the weight that is up high. Different could won't do anything but raise your ride height.

Are your axles centered? If you added more weight it's possible your axles have shifted if you sit lower.

GCM 2

You can add 1 ton truck springs and all you're going to get is harsh, stiff ride. Adding springs with higher rates will only give you a jeep with a suspension that doesn't compress or articulate and still feels like it's going to flop on every turn on road, or off camber slope offroad. The only fix is to not carry 350lbs on your roof.

Last edited:

Pyro1415

I know RK coils are pretty freaking stiff my Teraflex are as well(85lb bumper dropped it 1mm), you could try moving weight around on the rack, doing what Overland mentioned and checking your axles.
You could also try airbags so when you have the weight up there on the highway you're not bouncy, then when you get offroad you can still flex.

Coilovers might help too ;)

Top Bottom