Transfer Case going into neutral on trail, why?

utepgrad

Hello,

Specs: I have a 2014 JKU sitting on 35's and a 3.5 inch rubicon express suspension lift and has a standard transmission. I have regeared to 4.88.

When going up steeper obstacles, i gun it to clear the obstacle near the top and it feels like the transfer case is kicking into neutral. All wheels stop turning and the revs go up to almost redline. when i roll back down to a state of rest, it engages again. I have checked the transfer case and it is in solid. Im not sure if there is a rev limiter that takes the transmission into complete neutral? This has happened on the trail about a handful of times. This could get dangerous if i am at a spot where i can't roll back safely.

Any help would be appreciated.

SaddleTramp

Hello,

Specs: I have a 2014 JKU sitting on 35's and a 3.5 inch rubicon express suspension lift and has a standard transmission. I have regeared to 4.88.

When going up steeper obstacles, i gun it to clear the obstacle near the top and it feels like the transfer case is kicking into neutral. All wheels stop turning and the revs go up to almost redline. when i roll back down to a state of rest, it engages again. I have checked the transfer case and it is in solid. Im not sure if there is a rev limiter that takes the transmission into complete neutral? This has happened on the trail about a handful of times. This could get dangerous if i am at a spot where i can't roll back safely.

Does it do it a lot or has it only done it once or twice??? My 2014 did this a couple times but only a couple out of 50 or so chances. Mel at ORE said Evolander has done this a few times too and just chalked it up to a computer glitch so I jut forgot about it and just stopped, turned the key on/off the couple times it did it and didn't think twice about it. If it's doing is frequently, maybe something else???

JeepJeep75

Just curious guys, but utepgrad said he has a standard transmission. With a standard manual transmission there is no electronic clutch that the computer can disengage. Same thing in the transfer case, no clutch of any kind in there either. So, how can this be a computer glitch? Is Evolander a manual too? Very confused....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Did you just recently have your gears installed? Sounds kind of like you might have mismatched gears. Certainly, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen happen and really, it would only show itself when you're in 4WD.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious guys, but utepgrad said he has a standard transmission. With a standard manual transmission there is no electronic clutch that the computer can disengage. Same thing in the transfer case, no clutch of any kind in there either. So, how can this be a computer glitch? Is Evolander a manual too? Very confused....

Evolander is an automatic.

JeepJeep75

Evolander is an automatic.

Okay. Makes sense if this going into neutral problem happens to automatic trannys. I read in a few different places where automatics, on a severe incline, can suddenly go into "neutral" due to the sump pickup in the pan not getting fluid because it's all in the back portion of the pan. Sounds plausible right? When rolled back to a flatter spot, the tranny gets fluid back in the pump and engages into drive again. I'm not sure how often this happens. One of the many reasons I went with a manuel. Rolling backwards unexpectedly isn't fun.

SaddleTramp

Well, that's what I get for logging on after having too much to drink, lol

utepgrad

Got the gears changed 4k miles ago

Did you just recently have your gears installed? Sounds kind of like you might have mismatched gears. Certainly, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen happen and really, it would only show itself when you're in 4WD.

Got the gears changed 4k miles ago. i have had this happen 3 times, and all 3 times have been when hitting a pretty steep obstacle. 2 of the obstacles weren't that hard, just steep. Only one semi hard obstacle was Poughkeepsie Gulch in Ouray Colorado.

I used to have a tj, and never had this problem. sometimes i regret not keeping it.

Top Bottom