Rear axle seal

bradya1

I just found out that my left rear axle seal is bad. I know I need to take the axle shaft out and replace the seal, bearing and retainer but I can't find any kits that have it all in one. Do you know of any? Or give me the name/number for the parts? I figured I'll just do both side.
2007 jeep wrangler JK unlimited X Dana 44 rear

Exodus 4x4

How bad is the leak? You might be able to fix it yourself just by pulling to put a little and applying a thin coat of black rtv on the seal. Eddie has a great write up on it here. (As you can see, Overlander has provided a link to parts.) If it's beyond that, you're just as well ordering new shafts that come with new bearings and seals already installed. The cost isn't much more when you factor in patience.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-Axle-Shaft-Removal-amp-Installation-Write-Up

Last edited:

bradya1

The leak is bad enough that it looks like I have a greasy slim coming down behind my rotor and you can tell all the brake dust just collects behind the rotor also. Don't really have anything to compare it to. It's my first jeep and I have just started to work on my own vehicles. I also have a lot of "oil" coming out of the rear pumpkin at the top. So I figured I'll redo that also.

Exodus 4x4

bradya1

Thanks I just ordered the new seals. If I have 4.10 in the rear what gear oil should I use? I figured id switch it out since I don't know when it was ever down before me.

Top Bottom