Can anyone explain to me the dana system?

ltwilkins

I don't get the difference between the different Dana numbers. What would my 84 cj with a five speed have?

StrizzyChris

I cant tell u the exact correlation of what the Dana 44 means in terms of inches or cm the ring and pinion is. I can tell u that the smaller the number (i.e. a Dana 30) will be smaller in diameter than a larger one (i.e. Dana 60). Where this comes into play the most is gear ratio at the differential.

If u are running a ratio of say 3.something the teeth will be less in number and thicker which grants you more strength. A ratio of 5.38 will make the teeth "taller" or thinner which will be compromising their strength.

When the ring is larger or bigger number, it allows more surface area for a ratio such as 5.38 to be placed on and giving them more strength by allowing them to be thicker.

Hope this helps in some way, and isn't too confusing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I should mention that these are the diameters of each of the axles:

Dana 30 = 7.125″
Dana 35 = 7.56″
Dana 44 = 8.50″
AMC 20 = 8.875"
Dana 60 = 9.75"

FuriousDz

Oh, I should mention that these are the diameters of each of the axles:

Dana 30 = 7.125″
Dana 35 = 7.56″
Dana 44 = 8.50″
AMC 20 = 8.875"
Dana 60 = 9.75"

Will other brands be equal to this?

Such as the currie rock jock60 or a dynatrac prorock44, or will they be a different size all together?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Will other brands be equal to this?

Such as the currie rock jock60 or a dynatrac prorock44, or will they be a different size all together?

Yes, the R&P in all of them will be exactly the same. The only difference you'll see is in housing design, tube thickness, end forgings and diff covers.

Top Bottom