In a sea of choices and opinions what are the baselines?

Donny

If you want your JK to get you through the Rubicon, Black Bear Pass, Moab, Dusy, and all the other cool trails available to us what is the minimum lift, tire size, armor (both under and body), and any other important items in your opinion.

I ask because I am starting(Have) to get BIG EYS! I love the thought of running a coilover system but is it NEEDED vs. a good 3"-4" coil lift?
Is it NEEDED to get my rig setup for 37-40" tires vs. 35's as an end state goal.
Do I NEED beadlock's or will a 8' wide alloy wheel be ok? (AND why doesn't the tire UNBEAD on the inside? you would think they would just make the outside the same way and save us some money:yup:)

Now then, there will be those that want to answer by saying "it depends on what kinda wheeling you want to do" I want to aggressively work towards doing the trails I mentioned above without over building. I'm NOT trying to be cheap just well informed. Just trying to create the right tool for the jobs ahead. If a $5 hammer will do the job well then why buy a $65 hammer with the kung fu grip?

Donny

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you want your JK to get you through the Rubicon, Black Bear Pass, Moab, Dusy, and all the other cool trails available to us what is the minimum lift, tire size, armor (both under and body), and any other important items in your opinion.

The minimum? Heck, you can run Black Bear Pass bone stock and not give it a second thought. Rubicon, you can do that stock too but, I normally recommend that you at least have 2.5"-3" of lift and running 35's with rocker guards and tow points front and rear. Dusy, I'd say you need at least that much. On a 2012-up, I would protect your oil pan and if you have an auto, the transmission as well. The EVO ProTek skid system will do this job well.

I ask because I am starting(Have) to get BIG EYS! I love the thought of running a coilover system but is it NEEDED vs. a good 3"-4" coil lift? Is it NEEDED to get my rig setup for 37-40" tires vs. 35's as an end state goal.

Nope, not needed at all. Most of the trails you can run today can be done with 3" of lift and 35's. The bigger the tire, the easier things will be and the harder lines you can take, that's all. Coil overs will make things even easier and more importantly, way more comfortable.

Do I NEED beadlock's or will a 8' wide alloy wheel be ok? (AND why doesn't the tire UNBEAD on the inside? you would think they would just make the outside the same way and save us some money:yup:)

The bead lock ring physically clamps the rubber of your tire to the wheel. This prevents the tire from any movement. Depending on how low you air down and how hard you're working your tire, it is still possible to unseat the bead on the opposite side but, that doesn't happen too often. Something like a Staun inner bead lock is designed to help prevent that but, they are more of a pain to deal with than they're worth. I wouldn't recommend them. A 12.50 wide tire on an 8" wheel works well for a vast majority of wheelers and, it's all I ran for years until I could afford better. You just can't air down as low as you might want to go.

If a $5 hammer will do the job well then why buy a $65 hammer with the kung fu grip?

Because the kung fu grip is badass and it'll make you into a rockstar :rock: :D

FoxC

My advise is to budget and build towards 37's.

Budget in a set of 17x9 wheels, side armor, a 4" coil lift with shocks, draglink flip, a front drive shaft, C gussets for the d30...and then go out and hit some trails. you will be surprised what this setup will do. Just take it easy on the skinny pedal while you save up for a better front axel and a re- gear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom