Rubicon Swaybar disconnect weak link?

jhires

My sway bar disconnect stopped working this weekend just as my wife and I hit the trail. Flashing light, sway bar not disconnecting, and light still flashing long after the trip was done.

I ask if it is a weak link because my wife's JKR just went in to the shop a few weeks ago at 18k miles to have the sway bar disconnect replaced under warranty for the same symptoms. Here I am with my JKUR going in for the same work at 65k miles. FWIW, both JKs have roughly the same amount of off road miles on them, both are stock.

Should I just budget for replacement of the actuator every couple of years?
Is there an alternative I should be looking at?

Jesse

I personally like the motor and will repair mine should it go. This said, the more common failure I have seen is actually in the actuator and not the motor. They can fill up with gunk and become too difficult for the motor to actuate. Of the motor failures I have seen they stemmed from water/mud making it in at the connector. Regular cleaning and seal lube will help this area.

I personally like the motor and will repair mine should it go. This said, the more common failure I have seen is actually in the actuator and not the motor. They can fill up with gunk and become too difficult for the motor to actuate. Of the motor failures I have seen they stemmed from water/mud making it in at the connector. Regular cleaning and seal lube will help this area.

jnabird, I too really like the e-disconnect and I was wondering if you have any additional tips for waterproofing the unit. Any photos or videos would be especially helpful.

Thanks in advance,
COD MW3

Top Bottom