Clunk from transfer case?

UpsideUp

I went 4 wheeling this last weekend and had some weird issues come up. These are on a 2012 manual if that helps.
1st and most concerning was a loudish clunk that was coming from under the Jeep when going from nutrual to moving. I initially thought it was coming from driver side suspension but with a friends help we seemed to pin point it to a type of backlash from where the front drive line meets the transfer case. The bolts in the line seem to be tight and it seems to be more inside the case itself?
2nd I was using my Cobra LX just fine for 2 days and then woke up yesterday with Antenna warning alert coming up when I transmit out. What could cause that if there was no messing with it from day one to day 3?
Any advice or help would be great!

Dewayne

There's usually always some small amount of 'play' in a driveline when in 4x4 low range. You can get under a vehicle that's in gear, and as long as there's no tension in the drivetrain, you can rotate the front or rear driveshaft an inch or so. At least this has been my experience on all of my vehicles. I'm not sure if you're just feeling that, or if it's something more, or if it's something that just started happening. As far as the antenna is concerned, did you tune the antenna at all? Most all antennas right out of the box will require an SWR meter to be hooked up, and the antenna tuned. This involves either shortening the copper lead that's wrapped around it, or shortening the whip in a metal one, or if they require lengthening, you can add a spring mount or other things to add length. Some antennas have an adjustable tip, which you simply turn the correct direction to tune. Ground is very critical at the antenna mount as well. Make sure you have the nylon/plastic washer between the base and mount. I've had to run a seperate ground before to get one to work properly, too.

UpsideUp

Thanks for your help Dewane. I feel that the clunk is new as I never heard it before and it's awfully loud all of a sudden. Made me worry about some bering inside that would cause a sort of "double tap" or back lash effect.
I have used the antenna over the last year or so without a problem and I did run a pretty jankie ground wire to the tail gate to ground it. It's possible that it might have rusted through. I adjusted the SWR per fire stick and Cobra specs but only used the adjustment on the CB...not an actual meter.

Top Bottom