Icon 3" Suspension System Opinions.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I'm looking for opinions on the Icon 3" suspension system. Does anyone have any experience with this + pros and cons. Thanks in advance.

JKbrick

I met JKResistance and he had an Icon kit in his back seat he had just picked up. This was early summer so he may have an opinion by now

WEN2FAS

I have been running their 3" coils and 2.0 shocks for about a year. It rides super plush and articulates great but yes they are expensive. I'm making the jump to coil overs next week and have been trying to sell my icon stuff.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Reason I ask is that I know someone selling a used kit for half the price. Says the lift only has 5k on it. I'm a little skeptical of the kit that's why I'm looking for opinions.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
That'd be my first question. Why is the guy selling it and for half the cost especially being that it's supposedly so new.

Trading his Jeep in and wanted it back to stock. Doesn't make sense to me either. I've decided not to go that route and save up for something new and better.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I have to ask.... (largely due to the Smittybilt avatar) What do you consider better?

Not sure yet. Before I bought RE lift I was looking at the Rock Krawler lifts. I've been looking at their x-factor system. I'm not sure which height yet, I'm still just looking.

I guess where I was going with my question is what are you looking for in a lift (beyond the added height)? Do you like a firm ride or do you want a very soft ride. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

I have no experience with the Icon parts so I can't comment there, but I do have experience with RK and I am not a fan. My experience with RE is second-hand but I don't like what I've seen. Many here have experiences with different coil and shock combinations. Tell us what you are looking for and we might be able to shoot you down a good road.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I guess where I was going with my question is what are you looking for in a lift (beyond the added height)? Do you like a firm ride or do you want a very soft ride. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

I have no experience with the Icon parts so I can't comment there, but I do have experience with RK and I am not a fan. My experience with RE is second-hand but I don't like what I've seen. Many here have experiences with different coil and shock combinations. Tell us what you are looking for and we might be able to shoot you down a good road.

I have first hand experience with the RE 2.5" lift and I'm not thrilled with it. It's an ok lift for the price but my problem is that my front coils come unperched at full flex. I understand I wouldn't have this problem with the RK kits. Plus I really don't mind the firm ride RK will bring. Like I said though, I'm only just looking right now. I don't quite have the funds yet to do anything.

I have first hand experience with the RE 2.5" lift and I'm not thrilled with it. It's an ok lift for the price but my problem is that my front coils come unperched at full flex. I understand I wouldn't have this problem with the RK kits. Plus I really don't mind the firm ride RK will bring. Like I said though, I'm only just looking right now. I don't quite have the funds yet to do anything.

The only reason this doesn't happen with the RK coils is because they suggest you use retaining clips. They are not what I consider a long coil so big droop will unseat them if not retained. The big reason I don't like RK is their joints (bushing). I have seen too many fail and fail fast. They are considered a wear item and are not covered under warranty. The arms are also like installing a wet noodle unless you bench tighten them and hope you got the alignment decent.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
The only reason this doesn't happen with the RK coils is because they suggest you use retaining clips. They are not what I consider a long coil so big droop will unseat them if not retained. The big reason I don't like RK is their joints (bushing). I have seen too many fail and fail fast. They are considered a wear item and are not covered under warranty. The arms are also like installing a wet noodle unless you bench tighten them and hope you got the alignment decent.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I will definitely check out different avenues for lifts when the time comes.

Top Bottom