Welding on a Truss

Grubbicon

My question is for those that have welded on a truss did you heat up the cast before welding? Im not a huge believer in trusses so I have never messed with them until now. With my one ton project I got to weld on trusses to the front and rear for my upper control arms. I know Artec says to heat the cast to 400 degrees, but I fell that a little crazy. Ive heard people say that it has to be done and some say 400 is just crazy, but they would still heat it up some. Ive also had people say just weld it to the cast because there is really no good option. Id just like to hear more opinions before I go through with it because Im torn.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
From my understanding, you must heat cast so you can weld to it, or it won't stick at all. I just watched a shave install video and they heated up the pumpkin to 400 or so and it welded perfectly.

Grubbicon

From my understanding, you must heat cast so you can weld to it, or it won't stick at all. I just watched a shave install video and they heated up the pumpkin to 400 or so and it welded perfectly.
Thanks what I thought as well but a friend told me when they did his they just welded straight to it. Its held for the summer no problem but then again its just truss on there with no mounts on it.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Thanks what I thought as well but a friend told me when they did his they just welded straight to it. Its held for the summer no problem but then again its just truss on there with no mounts on it.

Since you will need it for mounts and all I would deff preheat it and do the slow cool down, or as slow as you can. I know in person experience that when I tried to weld anything cast I couldn't get any welds to stick to it.

Grubbicon

Since you will need it for mounts and all I would deff preheat it and do the slow cool down, or as slow as you can. I know in person experience that when I tried to weld anything cast I couldn't get any welds to stick to it.
Id say its probably best to just heat it up. Would you do the 400 or would you just heat it up? Im just worried if it doesnt cool slow enough it will just crack the cast all over. I may just have a friend with a shop weld up the trusses. Id hate to come this far and screw up now.

Grubbicon

It's going to take a lot of work and time to be able to get it welded on there without warping the housing.
Im aware of the fact that is gonna take awhile. Ill most likely do it in a couple days time span. Im just most worried about getting it welded to the cast right.

dirtywhitejk

On my XJ I cranked the heat up on the welder and stitched it on. I'd wrap it in a blanket to let it cool slowly. No issues with it and my upper arms and limit straps are attached to it.

Edit: I use a professional grade welder. Not sure how a hobby welder would do.

Grubbicon

On my XJ I cranked the heat up on the welder and stitched it on. I'd wrap it in a blanket to let it cool slowly. No issues with it and my upper arms and limit straps are attached to it.

Edit: I use a professional grade welder. Not sure how a hobby welder would do.

I would be welding it with a Miller 212 autoset. I would think it can get it done no problem. So the way it sounds you did not heat it up for welding. Am I correct with that?

Top Bottom