Question about my ride quality

JKResistance

Okay, so I'm running 4 inch Pro Comp springs, with Bilstien 5100 shocks. My ride is pretty awful as it sits haha. I know I'm going to be getting some Fox shocks in the next couple weeks, I was just wondering if their was anything else that could be causing such a harsh ride. Could my springs just be worn out? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, I would check the pressure in your tires as anything above 30 psi will give you a rough ride. Assuming you are running at 30 or below, I will again refer to what was said in that coils will make up a majority of your ride quality. Of course, the taller the lift, the stiffer the coils needs to be to give you that lift. Also, at 4" of lift and above, you really could benefit from a set of long arms as they will reduce the arc in which they travel and that will improve ride quality as well. All that being said, I've never been impressed with the ride quality of ProComp lifts.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would skip the shocks and buy new coils instead. The 5100's are a fine shock if it's paired with the right spring.

JKResistance

As mentioned, I would check the pressure in your tires as anything above 30 psi will give you a rough ride. Assuming you are running at 30 or below, I will again refer to what was said in that coils will make up a majority of your ride quality. Of course, the taller the lift, the stiffer the coils needs to be to give you that lift. Also, at 4" of lift and above, you really could benefit from a set of long arms as they will reduce the arc in which they travel and that will improve ride quality as well. All that being said, I've never been impressed with the ride quality of ProComp lifts.

Awesome, my suspension setup as is is pretty basic, but now that I'm learning more, I'm ready to start making my jeep a little more capable! I have some icon 4.5" springs sitting in the garage, I was planning on pairing those with some Fox shocks. Definitely will look into getting some long arms also though!

Pyro1415

Awesome, my suspension setup as is is pretty basic, but now that I'm learning more, I'm ready to start making my jeep a little more capable! I have some icon 4.5" springs sitting in the garage, I was planning on pairing those with some Fox shocks. Definitely will look into getting some long arms also though!

Personally I think the fox shocks will be a waste of money unless you're going reservoir you will see no difference. I like to drive fairly aggressively and I find the tf coils handle bumps well when paired with my bilsteins. I also take turns about 15 to 20mph faster than while stock. Also, I've ridden in a jeep with the tuned fox shocks, same tires and coils as mine, we were able to go about 20mph faster down the dirt road with mine.

I know evo makes their plush rides I'd give them a try, you might be able to find a jeep near you and see if you can go for a ride. Make sure you compare 2 door to 2 door and 4 door to 4 door.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Agreed with many on here. Your springs play a large role in ride quality. With that said, Pro Comp springs ride like crap. I've been down that road and will never go the cheap Chinese crap route again. In the long run, it ends up costing more anyways. I would start with the springs. Your also running a tall lift, so I would definitely look into front lower control arms. This will not only improve arc, which will improve ride quality, but will also help correct caster. Lastly, what type of tires are you running. Something like an E rated tire can also contribute to ride quality. Just some thoughts.

JKResistance

Agreed with many on here. Your springs play a large role in ride quality. With that said, Pro Comp springs ride like crap. I've been down that road and will never go the cheap Chinese crap route again. In the long run, it ends up costing more anyways. I would start with the springs. Your also running a tall lift, so I would definitely look into front lower control arms. This will not only improve arc, which will improve ride quality, but will also help correct caster. Lastly, what type of tires are you running. Something like an E rated tire can also contribute to ride quality. Just some thoughts.

Yeah I'm definitely going to upgrade my springs. I was pretty disappointed with pro comp. I'll be looking into control arms too. I'm running trail grapplers though.

plext0r

I bought a used already-lifted 2008 JKU in June and it came with Rough Country springs plus a budget boost providing about 4" of lift (dumb idea buying a pre-lifted Jeep). One of the springs broke after I had the Jeep for two weeks and I did a lot of research. I decided to pull the trigger on the 4" Evo Plush Rides and Fox 2" shocks. It was quite a project swapping that stuff out considering my lack of experience, but it turned out great and the ride quality is just night and day different. My son and I also replaced the front lower control arms with Rock Krawler adjustable ones.

Think of it like this... The springs are the course adjustment and the shocks are the fine. I used to believe the other way around. I even had a tiff with Eddie about it long ago. After installing and driving a bunch of combinations I was wrong. The biggest factor is definitely the spring.

As for the EVO plush rides: They ride very smooth but my only complaint is their softness means more body roll in the corners and they can sag if you have a heavy rig.

Top Bottom