Driveshaft failing

shortyokc

15,000 miles and the front driveshaft is starting to sling grease from around the boot clamp. Looking at doing a adams 1310 greasable spicer. My fear is all the vibration issues and destroying the transfer case stories I hear and read. I have a 4 in lift and just curious what my pinion and caster min and max need to be for this. I have read some say 6 deg caster and other say 6 deg caster is asking for problems I currently have the aev geometry correction brackets and fear I will need to also buy adjustable control arms to set this up properly.

Attachments

• 1443649995287.jpg
    1443649995287.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 167
I would go nongreasable on the joint, and my guess is 4-4.5 is all you will get before you get some vibrations. If you get arms, didtch the brackets.

JAGS

Hooked
^^agree with the nongreasable based on my own recent issue and call to Jim at JE real. They are going back to a nongreasable as they have seen better longevity. I recently had my JEReel rebuilt (after 27k) and took this advice on the joints.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As mentioned get non greasable joints. As for company you can't go wrong with Adams, je reel, or coast.

I would go nongreasable on the joint, and my guess is 4-4.5 is all you will get before you get some vibrations. If you get arms, didtch the brackets.

^^^^this. To add to that, what gears are you running? My caster is set around 6* and mine handles great. After a long talk with Eddie about this, it seems i can get away with the higher caster angle with an aftermarket shaft due to the fact i am running a wimpy gear set...

JKCRWLR

I have Adams 1310's. Pretty convenient for me since they're not far away. I don't notice any vibration.

shortyokc

currently whimpy gears as well 3.21 :grayno: but planning on switching to 4.56 when i quit replacing things like this that are setting me back...

dannymalkin

If I get adjustable front lower control arms and adjust my caster with the stock driveshaft will it be more likely to fail? And could someone explain the drive line vibration part too? I have about 3 inches of lift in the front

JAGS

Hooked
If I get adjustable front lower control arms and adjust my caster with the stock driveshaft will it be more likely to fail? And could someone explain the drive line vibration part too? I have about 3 inches of lift in the front

Driveline vibration can actually be many things. Including just tire balance. But can also be caused by incorrect caster. Or also by an out of balance driveshaft (weights can shift or get knocked off, even on the stock DS).

My vibration was also the result of bad u-joints that needed replacing after 27k and quite a few off-roading trips.

Hopefully others will chime in if I missed something or am wrong on anything above.

Top Bottom