One more question!!! Gear changes

Indy14jk

Ok so i changed my 14 jku to 4.88 gears. I purchased the tuner to re program everything i need to. It drives fine now. But still kinda high in rpms before shifting in the higher gears.

The low transfer case is set at 2.72. What is the correct setting for this? I am running 37's.

Anyone know the correct ratio for this?

Indy14jk

I have it set at 2.72. I will have to get on the highway tomorrow n run 70 to double check the rpms.

Thanks guys for the info

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I have it set at 2.72. I will have to get on the highway tomorrow n run 70 to double check the rpms.

Thanks guys for the info

I am a little confused on why you are focusing on your 4 low gear range. That would only affect your RPMs while in 4low.

Your 2wd/4wd high is a 1:1 (I think)

Indy14jk

Sorry. Yes i was meaning 2wd. Not 4wd. First time using a programmer. Just trying to make sure its correct

Sorry. Yes i was meaning 2wd. Not 4wd. First time using a programmer. Just trying to make sure its correct
Just to clarify, the gearing indicated on your programmer should be set to match the gears/tcase that are actually in your jeep, not what you want your gearing to be.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Ok I see. If you haven't used the programmer to change your T-case ratio I would leave it as is and take it out tomorrow.

If you have already attempted to change your T- case ratios I'd try undoing it. I'll admit that I'm not sure how to do this. Let me know and I'll look at my Procal instructions tomorrow to help figure it out.

Indy14jk

Just to clarify, the gearing indicated on your programmer should be set to match the gears/tcase that are actually in your jeep, not what you want your gearing to be.

Ok. I have changed the tire size and new gear ratio as of now. And thats it so far. So what should the tcase be set at for my set up is what i am trying to figure out.

Ok. I have changed the tire size and new gear ratio as of now. And thats it so far. So what should the tcase be set at for my set up is what i am trying to figure out.

Updated tire size is good, assuming you measured correctly (wheel center to level ground x2). Setting to the proper axle gears your running is also good. If its a sport you have a 2.71:1 tcase, if its a rubicon its a 4:1

Grubbicon

Also not sure what programmer you have but i believe on most you can change the shifting rmps if your not happy with what it is now. Not 100% on that though.

Indy14jk

Updated tire size is good, assuming you measured correctly (wheel center to level ground x2). Setting to the proper axle gears your running is also good. If its a sport you have a 2.71:1 tcase, if its a rubicon its a 4:1

Yes instructions said to measure from ground to top of tire which was 36". And changed to 488 gear ratio. The tcase was already set at 2:72. I left it alone. And it is not a rubicon

Yes instructions said to measure from ground to top of tire which was 36". And changed to 488 gear ratio. The tcase was already set at 2:72. I left it alone. And it is not a rubicon

That all sounds good. And even though the directions say so, you will get a more accurate calibration if you measure the way i posted above. The only measurement the computer really cares about is the distance from axle center to the ground, which is not the same as axle center to the top of the tire.

Indy14jk

That all sounds good. And even though the directions say so, you will get a more accurate calibration if you measure the way i posted above. The only measurement the computer really cares about is the distance from axle center to the ground, which is not the same as axle center to the top of the tire.

Thank you very much

Top Bottom