Replacing hardware

bl17z90

Has anyone heard of the rumors that Jeep used the wrong hardware on the front track bar as well as the contorl arms?

I read an artical on another forum and it described the exact situation that I am going through with my death wobble and a few people have replaced hardware and solved the problem.

Synergy even makes a kit for this, has anyone seen this?
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Suspension-Jeep-JK-F911-Hardware-Kit-p-28601.html

I feel like I saw that somewhere here before.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Has anyone heard of the rumors that Jeep used the wrong hardware on the front track bar as well as the contorl arms?

I read an artical on another forum and it described the exact situation that I am going through with my death wobble and a few people have replaced hardware and solved the problem.

Synergy even makes a kit for this, has anyone seen this?
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Suspension-Jeep-JK-F911-Hardware-Kit-p-28601.html

I feel like I saw that somewhere here before.

I've seen it on a few of the forums. Not sure everyone believes the hardware swap is necessary. But Northridge4x4 has a similar kit that is less expensive.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/nr4x4-jeep-jk-hardware-kit

I'd probably start here before I spent that kind of money on some bolts.

http://wayalife.com/content.php?124...s-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it

Good luck!

bl17z90

I had no intention of buying that kit, I am copying down the sizers and am going to hit ACE hardware on the way home :bleh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! $40-$80 for some bolts that you don't need and people are actually buy it?? :cheesy: I love it :clap2:
I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale - maybe I should post it up on the interent :thumb:

bl17z90

I watched the video that Nothridge had on that page and a guy clearly shows how the oem bolt was way smaller than it should be.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can't see that Jeep would use the wrong hardware but it is possible that it wears out.

It's not that it even wears out, when you wheel your Jeep, bolts come loose. Re-torquing bolts is a REQUIRED step in maintaining your Jeep. If you're sure your bolt is tightend to torque spec, IT WILL NOT MOVE. Now, if it's not tightend to torque spec and you allow it to slip around, you will have issues and it will wollow out mounting holes - that is NOT Jeep's fault.

I've seen it on a few of the forums. Not sure everyone believes the hardware swap is necessary. But Northridge4x4 has a similar kit that is less expensive.

Good luck!

"Belief" requires that you have faith and you don't need to have faith when you can just "know". To anyone who wants to believe $40-$80 worth of bolts will fix DW, they should spend their money and buy it. Never mind that 10.9 bolts are actually stronger than Grade 8 or that tightening their new bolts to torque spec may have been all that was needed in the first place. But hey, people can put their faith where ever they want :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the video that Nothridge had on that page and a guy clearly shows how the oem bolt was way smaller than it should be.

Ummm, and did the guy also say how long he'd been running with his front track bar bolt loose enough to wollow out that hole so big or, are you just trusting that the hole looked like that from the factory? If you want to have faith in a new bolt fixing your problem, what are you waiting for? Certainly, you can do it for a lot less than $40-$80. If it fixes your problem, it fixes your problem.

BTW, did you ever check your ball joints with a dial indicator like I had recommended quite some time ago?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah that stuff is a scam! After watching the video its funnier now. The guy really believes that the Jeep would make that hole specific to 9/16's when everything else is in metric? And he even says that the bolt threads wore into the hole.:cheesy:

I have never looked at any death wobble threads until this one so yeah I would agree with Eddie now.

MTG

Caught the Bug
It's not that it even wears out, when you wheel your Jeep, bolts come loose. Re-torquing bolts is a REQUIRED step in maintaining your Jeep. If you're sure your bolt is tightend to torque spec, IT WILL NOT MOVE. Now, if it's not tightend to torque spec and you allow it to slip around, you will have issues and it will wollow out mounting holes - that is NOT Jeep's fault.

Agreed. Painting my bolts after seeing the way you and Off Road Evolution do it is a real time saver as well. :thumb:

"Belief" requires that you have faith and you don't need to have faith when you can just "know". To anyone who wants to believe $40-$80 worth of bolts will fix DW, they should spend their money and buy it. Never mind that 10.9 bolts are actually stronger than Grade 8 or that tightening their new bolts to torque spec may have been all that was needed in the first place. But hey, people can put their faith where ever they want :yup:

I was trying to be nice...I know it doesn't happen all that often. :idontknow:

MTG

Caught the Bug
LOL!! $40-$80 for some bolts that you don't need and people are actually buy it?? :cheesy: I love it :clap2:
I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale - maybe I should post it up on the interent :thumb:

I'm just mad I didn't think of it first. :cheesy:

As I like to say...I don't need to come up with the one thing to sell for a $1,000,000, I just need to sell a million things for $1. ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah that stuff is a scam! After watching the video its funnier now. The guy really believes that the Jeep would make that hole specific to 9/16's when everything else is in metric? And he even says that the bolt threads wore into the hole.:cheesy:

I have never looked at any death wobble threads until this one so yeah I would agree with Eddie now.

FUD - Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt have a way of selling a lot of things that people don't need. PT Barnum has a famous quote for people who would buy into it.

I was trying to be nice...I know it doesn't happen all that often. :idontknow:

LOL!! and here I thought you were just giving me a lead in :crazyeyes:

As I like to say...I don't need to come up with the one thing to sell for a $1,000,000, I just need to sell a million things for $1. ;)

No kidding. Funny thing is, I was at Northridge4x4 when David came up with the idea of selling these bolts. And here I thought they would never sell :rolleyes2:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
wayoflife said:
Ummm, and did the guy also say how long he'd been running with his front track bar bolt loose enough to wollow out that hole so big or, are you just trusting that the hole looked like that from the factory? If you want to have faith in a new bolt fixing your problem, what are you waiting for? Certainly, you can do it for a lot less than $40-$80. If it fixes your problem, it fixes your problem.

BTW, did you ever check your ball joints with a dial indicator like I had recommended quite some time ago?

The new bolt doesn't fix the problem, they actually torque the new bolt properly

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Sell the kits for $39.99. :cheesy:

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
The only time I've had a case of DW, is because I forgot to re-torque one of the Track-Bar Bolt's. :icon_crazy:
Live an learn I guess.

bl17z90

I actually did, i was guessing the massive amounts of missing metal was throwing thr balance off enough but it wasn't it.

Top Bottom