Transmission service and EVO trans skid

JAGS

Hooked
Maybe this is an obvious question, but couldn't find an exact answer. ENVY will be hitting 60k in the coming month(s), at which point is the factory recommended transmission service.

My dealer has done all my engine services and I plan to have them do the 60k trans service while still under warranty. My question is whether the bolt on EVO trans skid will be in the way of what they need to do? I told them about the skid and they said they could work around it.

Just want to make sure this is true for those who maybe have done trans work themselves. Any insight would be appreciated.

tonytony9

My garage removed the skid plate when I had my trani serviced. But I'm not sure about the Evo one though.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I know that with the standard transmission the evo transmission skid does not interfere with the drain plug, however, the crossmember skid does!

A.J.

Maybe this is an obvious question, but couldn't find an exact answer. ENVY will be hitting 60k in the coming month(s), at which point is the factory recommended transmission service.

My dealer has done all my engine services and I plan to have them do the 60k trans service while still under warranty. My question is whether the bolt on EVO trans skid will be in the way of what they need to do? I told them about the skid and they said they could work around it.

Just want to make sure this is true for those who maybe have done trans work themselves. Any insight would be appreciated.

Depends on how they "service" the trans. A lot of dealerships use a machine to flush the transmission and do not remove the pan or replace the filter.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If your dealership WILL remove the sump pan to do the service like they should (but probably won't), I would remove the skid before taking your Jeep in. This will prevent any confusion and or additional charges they may hit you up with.

I know that with the standard transmission the evo transmission skid does not interfere with the drain plug, however, the crossmember skid does!

Automatics do not have a drain plug on the sump pan.

Depends on how they "service" the trans. A lot of dealerships use a machine to flush the transmission and do not remove the pan or replace the filter.

Unfortunately, this is what most shops and dealerships do.

I've read a few pieces on this that say to tell them not to power flush them. Just drain, replace filter and top off again. I know that doesn't get all the old oil out. I've done my last two services on my last JK. I plan to do them on Duke too. The one time the dealer did a flush and replace the filter (50,000 miles), they couldn't get the seal right. I had to take it back three times. I finally pulled the pan and cleaned globs of RTV off. More it's always better!!

JAGS

Hooked
If your dealership WILL remove the sump pan to do the service like they should (but probably won't), I would remove the skid before taking your Jeep in. This will prevent any confusion and or additional charges they may hit you up with.

Automatics do not have a drain plug on the sump pan.

Unfortunately, this is what most shops and dealerships do.

Thanks all for the replies.

And Eddie, thanks for the clarification. Sounds like I should remove the skid to be safe and also should ask a couple details on the service. Not sure what standard practice is for the 60k service.

Luckily I have a little time to do both, which is why I was asking now.

Top Bottom