4.10's and 35's

aaronstephen

I am looking to regear and was wondering for those who have experience with this setup how does the jeep perform. Specifically with the 3.6l engine

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I am looking to regear and was wondering for those who have experience with this setup how does the jeep perform. Specifically with the 3.6l engine

Going to 4.10s would be a waste, you may notice a little power increase if you are coming from the 3.21s but you probably won't feel any difference if you are coming from 3.73. I suggest going to a ratio like 4.88s (4.56 if you want to TRY to maintain your MPGs).

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Going to 4.10s would be a waste, you may notice a little power increase if you are coming from the 3.21s but you probably won't feel any difference if you are coming from 3.73. I suggest going to a ratio like 4.88s (4.56 if you want to TRY to maintain your MPGs).

All of this^^^ spending over 1k just to go to 4.10's is a waste considering that if you go larger than 35's in the future you will have to pay to regear again later on

aaronstephen

I have a set of axles I acquired from a buddy. 4.10's, chromoly shafts, synergy gussets and ball joints. So I guess I was just wondering how performance would be compared to my stock 3.21 gears. Also, looking at this chart it looks like I'd get full time O/D back? Oh, and I'll never go bigger than 35's. No interest in 37's or need.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443698475.412782.jpg

JK LYF

Can't provide any info on 4:10s with 35s, but I can tell you 4:88 on 35s works out very well (originally 3:73s). May I ask, is there any specific reason you are inquiring about 4:10s vs other ratios?

Edit: you just answered my question! I believe you will def feel a difference from the 3:21s....

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I have a set of axles I acquired from a buddy. 4.10's, chromoly shafts, synergy gussets and ball joints. So I guess I was just wondering how performance would be compared to my stock 3.21 gears. Also, looking at this chart it looks like I'd get full time O/D back? Oh, and I'll never go bigger than 35's. No interest in 37's or need.

Ah that makes a little more sense. You will probably get use of OD on flat roads, but it will still most likely kick off on hills with 35s. Don't forget a programmer to adjust your shift points to compensate for the new axle gear ratio.

aaronstephen

Ah that makes a little more sense. You will probably get use of OD on flat roads, but it will still most likely kick off on hills with 35s. Don't forget a programmer to adjust your shift points to compensate for the new axle gear ratio.

Have you run this setup? 3.6l, 4.10's and 35's?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

No, sorry I have a standard transmission and my Rubicon came with 3.73. I could only stand the 3.73 for about four months before I regeared to 4.88, hence my original post.

I have a 3.6 with 4.10 and 35" (manual). I think it is acceptable in town but not a whole lot of fun on the highway. I have to downshift on every hill.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Depends on your terrain. I have 4.10s, auto, and 35s and I think it works great for Oklahoma. I feel like that's how the jeep should have come from the factory. However, while we were in Colorado I was wishing for a 5.13 as the jeep wanted to drop clear to 2nd to climb some hills on the highway. When we were in Durango, Silverton, Ouray, etc. it was fine. It was just the coming and going and hitting the hills. So it depends.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Not this setup but I have run 37's with a 3.6L and 4.10's and while it wasn't anything to write home about, it was surprisingly doable. I have no doubts that 35's would have been even more so.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Not this setup but I have run 37's with a 3.6L and 4.10's and while it wasn't anything to write home about, it was surprisingly doable. I have no doubts that 35's would have been even more so.

My JK8 has 3.21's. On 35's it still hauls ass.

The weight lost helped dramatically. So much that I thought it was regeared.

I still want to regear it. But not until I throw a new front axle in.

hhunter050

My JK8 has 3.21's. On 35's it still hauls ass.

The weight lost helped dramatically. So much that I thought it was regeared.

I still want to regear it. But not until I throw a new front axle in.

I was wanting to ask you how much it weighed compared to a stock 4dr but it obviously ways a significant amount less. Thanks for answering a question I never got to ask you lol

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I was wanting to ask you how much it weighed compared to a stock 4dr but it obviously ways a significant amount less. Thanks for answering a question I never got to ask you lol

I need to get it weighed, but I can really feel the difference. The back end is really light and easy to swing out on sliding into corners Offroad.

Flynlo

More or less in the same boat as the OP. (not trying to hijack)

I had 3.21's with 33's and it was doable but I had no power off-road or driving through deep snow. Whilst on deployment I had 4.10's w/ an LSD installed thinking I would never go to 35's. Now all I can think about are getting 35's and I'm a little worried about having 35's w/ 4.10's and having it feel like it did when I had 3.21's w/ 33's but it wouldn't feel nearly the same, correct?

According to the chart (3.6L Manual, 2door) I was in deep in the yellow with the 3.21's w/ 33's (actual height 32) and 4.10's w/ 35's (actual height around 34) would put me right in the middle of the green. So, I should be good, right?

t8er

More or less in the same boat as the OP. (not trying to hijack)

I had 3.21's with 33's and it was doable but I had no power off-road or driving through deep snow. Whilst on deployment I had 4.10's w/ an LSD installed thinking I would never go to 35's. Now all I can think about are getting 35's and I'm a little worried about having 35's w/ 4.10's and having it feel like it did when I had 3.21's w/ 33's but it wouldn't feel nearly the same, correct?

According to the chart (3.6L Manual, 2door) I was in deep in the yellow with the 3.21's w/ 33's (actual height 32) and 4.10's w/ 35's (actual height around 34) would put me right in the middle of the green. So, I should be good, right?

I've got a 2014 JKUR 6 spd. I ran with the stock 4.10's and 35's and it was doable but I was screaming up mountain passes in 3rd and 6th gear was only useable if it was flat. I regeared to 5.13 since I was getting 37's and I really wish I had done gears sooner. I would look into 4.56 or 4.88 honestly. If you're flat land the 4.56 would be good and if you're in the mountains 4.88. Hope that helps

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I've got a 2014 JKUR 6 spd. I ran with the stock 4.10's and 35's and it was doable but I was screaming up mountain passes in 3rd and 6th gear was only useable if it was flat. I regeared to 5.13 since I was getting 37's and I really wish I had done gears sooner. I would look into 4.56 or 4.88 honestly. If you're flat land the 4.56 would be good and if you're in the mountains 4.88. Hope that helps

More hijacking

t8er, what kind of fuel mileage are you getting with the 6 speed, 37s, and 5:13? I've began planning my first steps in getting the jeep higher off the ground, and thinking this is where I want to be. I'm in the middle of reading about gears, and it seems everyone with an automatic is running 5:13, but it's rare to run into another manual... thanks!

Top Bottom