A Jeep Wrangler with No More Soft Top as We Know it?!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While all this is still hearsay, I think there is a lot of merit to what we're starting to hear more and more about and that's the all new Jeep JL Wrangler will NOT come with a traditional removable top as we know it. Instead, we will most likely see what is effectively a hard top with removable panels. In an article just published on Car and Driver and written by Andrew Wendler, he points out that in addition to the folding windshield going way of the dinosaur (no real big deal), "the traditional soft top is gone,” and that “It appears to have removable soft panels over the substructure. The sport bar design is gone. It even appears to have built-in grab handles.”

We already know the folding front windshield will be replaced by a fixed unit. According to Allpar’s source, the traditional soft top will also disappear. Additionally, the sport bar is replaced by an integrated substructure, likely with at least four stressed mounting points: “The traditional soft top is gone,” the website’s source says. “It appears to have removable soft panels over the substructure. The sport bar design is gone. It even appears to have built-in grab handles.”

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-jeep-wrangler-top-centric-details-emerge/?ref=yfp

Of course, a lot of these changes are being driven by ever increasing government standards that Chrysler is trying to meet and certainly, we have seen recent examples of this on various Mopar Underground builds and the Jeep Renegade that features MySky panels (essentially what we're talking about here).

My question to you is, how do you feel about these likely changes to come? Will it matter to you or, will it be no big deal? Would love to hear what you all think.

My question to you is, how do you feel about these likely changes to come? Will it matter to you or, will it be no big deal? Would love to hear what you all think.

Having not seen what this really means or what it will look/function like, I won't shoot my mouth off too soon. But honestly, It makes me not want a JL. The open top is a VERY big deal to us. I don't care about the windshield, but the doors and top must be able to go.

Alana and I have every intention to either purchase a JL or the truck when released (depending on what we like more). The top will likely be the tipping point.

The sad thing is, I read this as a killer to the Jeep all together. Let's be honest. There are far better SUVs in the market for grocery shopping and travel. The reason we have a Jeep are the very things they are talking about removing. :doh: My confusion lies in the fact that if cars are so damn dangerous that these changes HAVE to be made, how the hell are motorcycles (in many cases without a helmet) still allowed on the road?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I think it's a mistake to get rid of the soft top. The convenience of it to be able to do it by your self with a soft top makes life so easy.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I am disappointed by the choice to deconstruct a Jeep Wrangler as we know it. May as well make them all 2wd and have the wheels tuck neatly underneath the fenders too.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Definitely don't mind the folding windshield going away. I am undecided on the traditional soft top. I never really used mine on my 09. The only huge benefit that will be lost is the fact that they are a lot cheaper to replace than a hard top.

Definitely don't mind the folding windshield going away. I am undecided on the traditional soft top. I never really used mine on my 09. The only huge benefit that will be lost is the fact that they are a lot cheaper to replace than a hard top.

The way I read the article the top will not be replaceable. It will likely need body work to repair. Total bummer. I've had my top on more trees when off-camber than I can count. If I'm right about this... I would want an exo cage to go in the woods and I HATE exo cages.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From what I'm reading and from what I have seen, it sounds like the roll bar as we've known it will be replaced with something that looks more like the B-pillar on the 4-door JK only on all 4 corners as well and across the top. Basically, the body will be complete all the way around but will have hard or soft panels that can be removed to open it up. I could be wrong though.

If I were a gambling man.... Bestop (who makes the current tops for Jeep) likely developed their new Pro series based on concepts for the JL.

I find it humorous that we are supposed to believe many of these things are not more concrete by now. The machines for manufacturing often have a 6-12 month lead time, followed by several months debug and improvements. This can only happen AFTER the design work is done. We are past he deadline for the release date. I personally believe all this IS known and they are just spoon feeding us to soften the blow. (Kinda' like the government is doing with Aliens :crazyeyes::cheesy:) <-sarcasm

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I were a gambling man.... Bestop (who makes the current tops for Jeep) likely developed their new Pro series based on concepts for the JL.

I find it humorous that we are supposed to believe many of these things are not more concrete by now. The machines for manufacturing often have a 6-12 month lead time, followed by several months debug and improvements. This can only happen AFTER the design work is done. We are past he deadline for the release date. I personally believe all this IS known and they are just spoon feeding us to soften the blow. (Kinda' like the government is doing with Aliens :crazyeyes::cheesy:) <-sarcasm

:cheesy: I think you're spot on with the Bestop Pro Series top and that we're being spoon fed information to soften the blow.

Ddays

Hooked
Losing the removable top would be a damn shame, folding windshield, meh, but what about removable doors? Those gone too? If that's the case it's no longer a Wrangler. Gonna be huge rush on 2017's! Get your orders in early!

tumblr_inline_nmiehhDz1H1s13bk5_500-1430418784.gif

threaddirection_LRG.gif~c200

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I don't care about a folding windshield, but a removable top (or substantially all of the top like the old K5 Blazers) and removable doors, are a huge selling point for me. If they make a Jeep too much like other normal SUV's on the market, I might be inclined to look more closely at those other SUV's.

Last edited:

JerseyJK

Who knows, I guess I'll have to see it to get a better perspective. The removable top is just as important to me as the removable doors. I love being able to ride around in my jeep and feel like I'm on my Harley. Without that option, I would most likely go to a more traditional route and buy a nice convertible sports car. Maybe the new corvette. Hmmmmm.

Especially when you look at the side by side market. It's like owning a jeep but for off-road only. Plenty to think about.

JakeJK

If only there were a few men writing these rules and regulations not a bunch of bitch boys...

Taking the top off is 80% of the reason I bought my jeep, if it wasn't removable I undoubtedly would've just bought a truck and been done with it.

Top Bottom