Replacing Third Brake light

tonytony9

I was looking to replace the 3rd brake light on my JKU with something which would illuminate behind me when I am reversing. I already have a "3rd brake light" from my ORO license plate light attached to my License Plate Relocation bracket at the center of my spare.

I found this made by AEV http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/ipf-8161-backup-light for $105. Is there a cheaper, more effective method? Maybe utilizing LED instead of a halogen light.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
A lot of guys on here will add in some led pods or mini light bars as reverse lights. I will be doing this again once I find the time. I was running a pair of duallys wired to the brake lights, and also to a switch so I could use them as "dust lights". This is very easy to do. I think you can also flush mount ridgids in the stock tails now, or mount a set on top with some brackets if you are still running the stock lights.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
If you want cheap, go to somewhere like Harbor Freight. They sell cheap LED work lights that would work just fine. No need for power since they use such little draw and wire them directly into your reverse light wire. Probably $30-40 bucks when you're said and done.

tonytony9

If you want cheap, go to somewhere like Harbor Freight. They sell cheap LED work lights that would work just fine. No need for power since they use such little draw and wire them directly into your reverse light wire. Probably $30-40 bucks when you're said and done.

Perfect. Maybe I could mount them directly to the back bumper.

tonytony9

A lot of guys on here will add in some led pods or mini light bars as reverse lights. I will be doing this again once I find the time. I was running a pair of duallys wired to the brake lights, and also to a switch so I could use them as "dust lights". This is very easy to do. I think you can also flush mount ridgids in the stock tails now, or mount a set on top with some brackets if you are still running the stock lights.

Mounting backup lights to the reverse lights wouldn't be a bad idea. Do you know of any mounts?

http://www.rigidindustries.com/mounting-options/40322 This looks pretty nice. Do you know if other cheaper lights could fit this mount?

Last edited:
Top Bottom