Maximus 3 tire carrier

Shootingjeeper

I planning on installing my Maximus 3 tire carrier this weekend. I was just wondering if there was any tips or tricks to make the install go smoother or if it was pretty straight forward out of the box. Thanks.

tharb5111

I installed mine back in June. Very easy. Hardest part was getting hinge bolts in and tightening the inner tailgate bolts under the hinge with the L shaped hex drive. Also make sure you use loctite. I didn't and it started to squeak until I tightened things up.

Last thing that was tough was getting the tailgate level and holding level while trying to tighten it down. Really tough.

Also adjust the swing bolt guide tightly with the door nearly closed or the door will rattle when you shut it hard. I had to re adjust mine.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 1443812910798.jpg
    1443812910798.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 346
  • 1443813024658.jpg
    1443813024658.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 338

tharb5111

Forgot to mention I modified the shovel mount. I wasn't a fan of the way it mounted to my hi lift. So i rigged it up behind the spare. Here's a pic of the shovel in the stock configuration.

Attachments

• 1443813427382.jpg
    1443813427382.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 369

tharb5111

It's awesome. Made by Maximus 3.
Rock Solid set up once you get it adjusted correctly.

I've got 35 inch spare. No rattles.

Tire carrier is Adjustable up and down and in and out to set the height and depth of spare. Nice feature.

Mounted my shovel carrier behind the spare to get it off the hi lift.

Quality is there. Powder coat finish is thick and strong.

Had to add a modified rubber stop to the rotopax mount to keep it from wobbling against the spare over rough road. No more wobble.

Highly recommend this carrier

Attachments

• 1443813781996.jpg
    1443813781996.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 1443813830018.jpg
    1443813830018.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 345

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Ha, same here. Looks pretty beefy and similar to your hanson (gate mounted). You saved a few hundred though.

Yeah, the Hanson is a little cheaper and ties into a the tailgate and factory hinges. It's as strong as it can be.

I wish the Hanson tied into the tub side of the hinge as well. It's not light.

Shootingjeeper

I installed mine back in June. Very easy. Hardest part was getting hinge bolts in and tightening the inner tailgate bolts under the hinge with the L shaped hex drive. Also make sure you use loctite. I didn't and it started to squeak until I tightened things up.

Last thing that was tough was getting the tailgate level and holding level while trying to tighten it down. Really tough.

Also adjust the swing bolt guide tightly with the door nearly closed or the door will rattle when you shut it hard. I had to re adjust mine.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Are you still running the rubber bump stops behind the carrier?

tharb5111

I took the stock rubber bump stops off and put the included rubber seals in the holes. The new long gate bump stop included is for holding everything tight when tail gate is shut. The right rubber stop over the included gate screw keeps the tailgate from hitting the right rear taillight when the gate is swung open. These are the only stops I am using other than the one I made to keep the rotropax from wobbling against the spare.

tharb5111

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Are you still running the rubber bump stops behind the carrier?

I took the stock rubber bump stops off and put the included rubber seals in the holes. The new long gate bump stop included is for holding everything tight when tail gate is shut. The right rubber stop over the included gate screw keeps the tailgate from hitting the right rear taillight when the gate is swung open. These are the only stops I am using other than the one I made to keep the rotropax from wobbling against the spare.

Shootingjeeper

Ok. Would adding the rotopax be a pain later on or would I be better off getting the rotopax carrier and installing it all at once?

tharb5111

Ok. Would adding the rotopax be a pain later on or would I be better off getting the rotopax carrier and installing it all at once?

No it is super easy to add anytime. No reason to do it now if you want to wait. The set up is well designed and modifying it is easy at anytime.

Wardell

I have the Maximus 3 carrier waiting to go on my Jeep, and this reminds me I'd better install it before the weather drops below zero. I think I'll have to do it in the next week or so.

tharb5111

I have the Maximus 3 carrier waiting to go on my Jeep, and this reminds me I'd better install it before the weather drops below zero. I think I'll have to do it in the next week or so.

Took me three hours or so because I had trouble setting hinge screws and keeping gate level. Finally enlisted help of the wife and after much fiddling we got it. Not prefect level but close enough.

Good luck and let me know if you had trouble getting it level as well.

Shootingjeeper

Took me three hours or so because I had trouble setting hinge screws and keeping gate level. Finally enlisted help of the wife and after much fiddling we got it. Not prefect level but close enough.

Good luck and let me know if you had trouble getting it level as well.

Can you take pictures right were the hinge mounts to the tailgate next to the tail light? I didn't receive any instructions at all so I'm having to wing it as I go...

Top Bottom