Hard wire winch controls in Jeep?

Thinking about hard wiring my winch controls to a dash mounted switch in cab. Anyone have experience with this? Any downsides? I would still like the option to use my remote outside the vehicle but would like the convenience of a dash mounted switch.

Not sure if winch brand matters with making this mod but I have a Quadratec 9000

WJCO

Meme King
I've thought about that myself but decided not to. You still have to get out to set the winch rope, etc. I figured since you're already outside the vehicle, it's easier to just hook the controls into the winch. I'm sure it would look clean though if someone did it. Post pics if you end up doing it.

Breer

Caught the Bug
I did something like this in my truck. Except I have a port like what's on top of the winch inside the vehicle. So the same remote plugs in and its long enough that I can still use it outside. I just used an extension and mounted it under my dash.

I like it, makes winching things other than yourself easier like other jeeps onto a trailer haha..

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443800145.636115.jpg

On my jeep though I still have to attach the remote up front. Like was stated already, usually out already up front so for recovery purposes not much difference.

Wardell

I haven't used one or know anyone who has one, but I've seen a good tutorial on how to install a home made one on youtube. It doesn't look that hard, and depending on what kind of switches you have to use it could look interesting. If I remember right, you need a two way toggle switch for winch power (with a cover if you want to prevent the winch from being switched on by accident) and a three way toggle switch to control the line in or out, and maybe a light or LED to show when the winch power is switched on. IIRC and depending on your winch, the wires should be able to connect to the solenoid in the same places as your controller wires connect from the plug, so you should be able to leave the plug attached so you can still use the remote. I'd have to look up the vid again to see exactly how it was done.

If you're going to have to run the winch yourself, a dash controller does make sense to have. It's a lot more secure in the cab than having a wire run in through a window, and trying to hold onto it with one hand while steering with the other. Personally though, I think you're better off having a spotter outside the vehicle using the winch controller while you're behind the wheel driving out. That way you have one less thing to worry about while trying to get unstuck.

bekel

I have one on my 94 hooked up to a warn 8274, I used a spring loaded togal switch an made a mount an wielded it my shifter so its always in reach I will try an get some pic of it tomorrow
the stock controller still works as well

Top Bottom