Long Arm Upgrade

allwhitejeeps

I am wanting to upgrade to a long arm kit, but I was just wondering what the difference is between the Evo Double D kit and Evo High Clearance long arm Kit. I am currently running a 4.5" rubicon express kit. Also if anyone could let me know if it is a fairly simple or difficult install.

Grubbicon

If you can weld you can do the long arm otherwise it wouldnt be possible to do your self. Never messed with the EVO kits but if their instructions are like the rest of their products it wont be the simplest thing ever but not horrible.

Tree Frog

I can speak for the Double D kit.

It is a handful. You really need to like working on your Jeep because your going to be doing a lot of it.

Just a ton of work. If you think of it like a giant model car then it will be a lot of fun to do.

You need to have a pretty well stocked tool box along with good welding/ fabrication skills.

Took me about 7 weeks, working on it 30-45 minutes in the morning, 1/2 hour or so at lunch and then a few hours every night. As well as both days on the weekend.
I will admit to a lot of laying under the Jeep just trying to figure out WTF I was doing. Very afraid I was going to make a mistake and screw something up beyond repair.

Like Grubbicon said, the instructions are just terrible. I will all but bet whoever wrote them never installed one of these kits. I basically read it then threw it up on top of the tool box.

We have several threads on here about doing this install.
There is even several about the High Clearance kit as well. That is part of the Double Throwdown system.

I will tell you if it was not for this forum I would have never got it done.:thumb: Good luck with you project!

Angry Aussie

I have the double d long arm kit and it is a bitch to install but it's an amazing kit. I think there's a thread that Eddie posted up on how to install the double d kit, I would use that as your instruction manual. It has great pictures and seems like it would be really helpful.

allwhitejeeps

It is a handful. You really need to like working on your Jeep because your going to be doing a lot of it.

Just a ton of work. If you think of it like a giant model car then it will be a lot of fun to do.

You need to have a pretty well stocked tool box along with good welding/ fabrication skills.

Took me about 7 weeks, working on it 30-45 minutes in the morning, 1/2 hour or so at lunch and then a few hours every night. As well as both days on the weekend.
I will admit to a lot of laying under the Jeep just trying to figure out WTF I was doing. Very afraid I was going to make a mistake and screw something up beyond repair.

Like Grubbicon said, the instructions are just terrible. I will all but bet whoever wrote them never installed one of these kits. I basically read it then threw it up on top of the tool box.

There is even several about the High Clearance kit as well. That is part of the Double Throwdown system.

I will tell you if it was not for this forum I would have never got it done.:thumb: Good luck with you project!

Ok thank you a lot. I did not know it was that much work. I think I'm going to try and tackle it over winter.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Lol and I thought I worked slow.

Tree Frog

A very well respected shop (in my book) quoted me 40 hours to do the Double Throwdown system. 5 X 8 hour days. I told this tech that he was fast. But he does it for a living and knows all the tricks with a fully stocked shop and a lot of help.

Also Overlander my time was for the install of the complete Double D pro kit that also includes the coilovers.

Yeah I know I am slow. Its okay I am getting old. One of the hardest parts was getting up and down off the floor every few minutes to get something or move something. Man a lift would have been real nice.
Done completely by myself. My sweet wife is one of the types you don't even want in the garage as she might trip over something and is always standing right in the way.

I would love to hear the actual install times from others. Anybody?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
A very well respected shop (in my book) quoted me 40 hours to do the Double Throwdown system. 5 X 8 hour days. I told this tech that he was fast. But he does it for a living and knows all the tricks with a fully stocked shop and a lot of help.

Also Overlander my time was for the install of the complete Double D pro kit that also includes the coilovers.

Yeah I know I am slow. Its okay I am getting old. One of the hardest parts was getting up and down off the floor every few minutes to get something or move something. Man a lift would have been real nice.
Done completely by myself. My sweet wife is one of the types you don't even want in the garage as she might trip over something and is always standing right in the way.

I would love to hear the actual install times from others. Anybody?

If I'm understanding this correctly it took approx 215 hours?

:eek::eek:

Tree Frog

HA, well ah guess its a good thing I am not working by the hour.

No a lot of time was spent drinking coffee, answering phone calls and other non productive tasks.
I was in no hurry. Like I said I think of it as a hobby. Hate TV and love to work on my Jeep so I just took my sweet time.

Need the shop floor to be swept clean as I cant stand to lay in grinding grit and bits of metal. All cuts were ground down smooth, all welds were ground down smooth. Everything was cleaned and painted prior to assembly.

At first I was keeping a daily log of tasks performed and amount of time each task took. I really need to get a life huh?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
HA, well ah guess its a good thing I am not working by the hour.

No a lot of time was spent drinking coffee, answering phone calls and other non productive tasks.
I was in no hurry. Like I said I think of it as a hobby. Hate TV and love to work on my Jeep so I just took my sweet time.

Need the shop floor to be swept clean as I cant stand to lay in grinding grit and bits of metal. All cuts were ground down smooth, all welds were ground down smooth. Everything was cleaned and painted prior to assembly.

At first I was keeping a daily log of tasks performed and amount of time each task took. I really need to get a life huh?

No you need to get to work on your jeep. Lol

allwhitejeeps

Most likely it will take me much longer but I would love to do it myself. Is there a install instruction posted online so I could look at the tools needed?

Top Bottom