Build Questions

TJStalker

Hey Everyone,

I'm putting together a build list for when I finally get my JK. I'd like to be able to do some semi-serious off-roading, I'm from Michigan if that helps you understand what I'm up against. I'm looking at 2.5" and 3.5" lifts, and I'm wondering which would be best for starting out, or if I should be springing for something even more aggressive. And I'm also wondering if I should go for a full kit, or do a budget boost? Let me know if you have any suggestions :)

Thanks

thardy

Banned
I'm leaning towards 33's to start, but 35's are an option. I'll be getting a 4dr, most likely non-rubicon (probably outside the price range).

In that case, I'd just go with a simple leveling kit or budget boost. You'll keep factory ride and be able to fit 33s. Then if you decide to go to 35s, trim the flares and good to go.

I will follow that up by saying, if you think 35s are an option, just go that route. Otherwise you'll have tire envy!

TJStalker

In that case, I'd just go with a simple leveling kit or budget boost. You'll keep factory ride and be able to fit 33s. Then if you decide to go to 35s, trim the flares and good to go.

I will follow that up by saying, if you think 35s are an option, just go that route. Otherwise you'll have tire envy!

Haha, good to know. I'll put the 35s on the list. On the topic of fender flares, I'm a particular fan of the Bushwacker rivet style flares (the ones with 11.75" of coverage). Would those allow the 35s to travel enough? Or should I be looking at a flat style fender?

thardy

Banned
Haha, good to know. I'll put the 35s on the list. On the topic of fender flares, I'm a particular fan of the Bushwacker rivet style flares (the ones with 11.75" of coverage). Would those allow the 35s to travel enough? Or should I be looking at a flat style fender?

Personally I'm not a huge fan of spending money on flares when you can cut your factory ones for free. Therefore I don't have much experience with the other options out there. If you really want to purchase flares, my recommendation would be the MCE flares. But it's going to be your Jeep so whatever makes you happy.

Wombat

I went with the Smittybilt XRC flat fenders myself. They are metal and half the price of Bushwackers. The chances I could cut my fenders and not screw it up I deemed top be low. Also seen a heel lay itself on it's side, and these protected from damage. Okay, they had to be banged back into shape with a mallet, but I figure they will do the job until I can get more important parts of the build done

DSC_0002.jpg

Top Bottom