Bump Steer / DW Problems

koasta11

Hello everyone here is my problem:
Just trying to finish my build on my jeep and I have gotten DW like 6 times in 11,000 miles. I think it is caused by Bump steer ( just my thought from reading) when I hit some bumps my steering wheel shakes and when I am cruising it wobbles some it drives straight down the road and it drives great 1 hand doing 85 mph and it generally drives real good.

I have torqued everything to specifications but the wheel still seems shaky.

I have synergy track bars front & rear synergy tie rod I have Ultimate dana 60s front and rear, Evo bolt on's with Evo the long arm lift, Adams 1350 Driveshaft Front & Rear, 17" Raceline Beadlocks 40x13.50x17 TOYO MT

I do not have a steering stabilizer I wanted to make sure that I got the problem taken care of first before I put a bandaid on it as soon as I get it I am going to put a PSC on it. Or maybe that is the problem No steering stabilizer or PSC.

Thanks Dean

P.S I sure hope these pictures show up what a pain to figure out how to attach these things:crazyeyes:

20151003_095443_zpsrehs0shw.jpg 20151003_095607_zpshr1i2pmn.jpg 20151003_095357_zpsoyhsnjuu.jpg

JKbrick

Is your drag link and track bar parallel? It looks like your track bar is raised and your drag link is not flipped but maybe you don't do that to a 60? I have not seen a 60 under a jeep yet

jedg

Is your drag link and track bar parallel? It looks like your track bar is raised and your drag link is not flipped but maybe you don't do that to a 60? I have not seen a 60 under a jeep yet

I thought the same thing, maybe it's just the photos, but looks like the track bar and drag link aren't parallel.

JKbrick

As close to parallel as possible, find a stock one to compare it to. Does the 60 have knuckles like a 44?

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a 3.5" lift, my track bar and drag link are not exactly parallel and I have no issues.

There is a seam on the drag link that the pinch bolts need to align to in order to get a good grip. looking at the photo it looks like it's twisted up away from the seam, there's a photo in the one of the threads that shows the proper alignment but I can't locate it.

if the drag link adjustment collar pinch bolts are not aligned to the seam they will allow some slippage and cause the type of issues you are experiencing.

found it:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...Wheeling/page2&highlight=drag+link+adjustment

Last edited:

koasta11

I am not sure about the knuckles but I will take a couple more pictures tomorrow and post them.

koasta11

I will check on the pinch bolts tomorrow and make sure they are lined up with the seam.

Do you think that having 40s without a ss or a psc would cause the shaking granted it is not horrible but when you hit a bump the steering wheel will shake some like I said not horribly.

I am actually teaching my 17 year old daughter to drive in my jeep and she got the dw 1 time. I figured if she can drive the jeep she can drive anything.

Another thing the guy who put it together for me it seems he might have used the stock bolts or the 14 mm I just bought the replacement 9/16 but I haven't installed them yet.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I will check on the pinch bolts tomorrow and make sure they are lined up with the seam.

Do you think that having 40s without a ss or a psc would cause the shaking granted it is not horrible but when you hit a bump the steering wheel will shake some like I said not horribly.

I am actually teaching my 17 year old daughter to drive in my jeep and she got the dw 1 time. I figured if she can drive the jeep she can drive anything.

Another thing the guy who put it together for me it seems he might have used the stock bolts or the 14 mm I just bought the replacement 9/16 but I haven't installed them yet.

They are not aligned. Hope this zoomed shot clears it up along with the thread above.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443931263.356890.jpg

koasta11

Checked it out this morning and sure enough the collar pinch bolts were not lined up with the seam and the bolts didn't appear to be torqued. They were about 1/4" off from the seam.

Took it for a ride and it drives way better I do believe that it's fixed I Will keep my fingers crossed.

I also checked my track bar and my drag link and they are within .02 of a degree of each other.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

jeeeep

Hooked
Checked it out this morning and sure enough the collar pinch bolts were not lined up with the seam and the bolts didn't appear to be torqued. They were about 1/4" off from the seam.

Took it for a ride and it drives way better I do believe that it's fixed I Will keep my fingers crossed.

I also checked my track bar and my drag link and they are within .02 of a degree of each other.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

:thumb: hope that takes care of it for you. I'm always a bit amazed how much a difference tolerances make even on the simple things.

koasta11

It's pretty crazy that a 1/4" turn could cause something like that I am thankful I am on this forum how could you ever figure something like that out. Sometimes technology is great. ☺

WJCO

Meme King
Hopefully you're good to go. If not, have a helper start the vehicle and turn your steering wheel from 10oclock to 2oclock. Have them turn it slow and turn it rapidly back and forth while you are underneath looking for any movement at track bar, control arms, and steering linkage. Just hours ago, I had a loose trackbar bolt and found it this way.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It's pretty crazy that a 1/4" turn could cause something like that I am thankful I am on this forum how could you ever figure something like that out. Sometimes technology is great. [emoji5]

Not really that crazy. The clamps can't compress solid steel. They need to compress the spot where the steel is separated.

Exodus 4x4

Hopefully you're good to go. If not, have a helper start the vehicle and turn your steering wheel from 10oclock to 2oclock. Have them turn it slow and turn it rapidly back and forth while you are underneath looking for any movement at track bar, control arms, and steering linkage. Just hours ago, I had a loose trackbar bolt and found it this way.

Was that the mystery noise culprit from yesterday afternoon?

koasta11

Bummer the death wobble came back.

Hey guys so I have been driving around for pretty close to a week after adjusting and torquing the collar pinch bolts on my drag link and aligning it to the seam.

I have hit every bump I could find and everything was fine until today. I was coming out of Castro Valley getting on the freeway there is a bump like a speed bump right before you get on I hit it doing about 40 and I got the death wobble real bad I had to come to a complete stop to stop it.

It seems the steering wheel shakes a little I figured it is just because I am running 40s and have no steering stabilizer.

I have torqued everything except the ball joints. I would figure a brand new ultimate dana 60 it would be good so I haven't messed with them.

When they balanced my tires they put the weights on the inside of the wheel right on the outside edge. I had one guy when he balanced them put the weights on the inside but in the center of the wheel I don't know if that makes a difference.

I have gotten underneath my jeep why my wife has turned the wheel and everything looked good I think I will look again tomorrow and have a buddy turn the wheel.

Any suggestions its driving me crazy :crazyeyes:

jeeeep

Hooked
Hey guys so I have been driving around for pretty close to a week after adjusting and torquing the collar pinch bolts on my drag link and aligning it to the seam.

I have hit every bump I could find and everything was fine until today. I was coming out of Castro Valley getting on the freeway there is a bump like a speed bump right before you get on I hit it doing about 40 and I got the death wobble real bad I had to come to a complete stop to stop it.

It seems the steering wheel shakes a little I figured it is just because I am running 40s and have no steering stabilizer.

I have torqued everything except the ball joints. I would figure a brand new ultimate dana 60 it would be good so I haven't messed with them.

When they balanced my tires they put the weights on the inside of the wheel right on the outside edge. I had one guy when he balanced them put the weights on the inside but in the center of the wheel I don't know if that makes a difference.

I have gotten underneath my jeep why my wife has turned the wheel and everything looked good I think I will look again tomorrow and have a buddy turn the wheel.

Any suggestions its driving me crazy :crazyeyes:

check to see if any of the weights fell off, I dislike edge clip weights because I always threw then off with my 35's and 37's, I always ask for stick on weights if possible.

if they were placing weights on the outer edge it's possible that wheel/tire is out of balance side to side and that would cause it to wobble or shimmy. I'd take it to a Discount tire or somewhere where they can do a true spin balance and have them balanced again.

koasta11

Weights

The weights are the sticky ones the other type would not fit between my calipers and the weight.

I have taken it to Les Schwab they put sticky weights on the inside in the middle of the rim they used like 49 ounces of weight.
I have also taken it to Bay fair tire and wheel they put the sticky ones on but put them on the inside flange not the center of the wheel.
I have herd Eddie say road force balance does anybody know where I can get that done in the bay area.

Thanks
Dean

Top Bottom