Tires and lift

bradya1

Looking at getting new tires in the spring and would like a lift also. I was thinking 35 or 37 with a 3inch lift. My JKU has 4.10 ratio. What's the biggest I can or should go for a daily driver plus off road. Options on Tire size and lift to go along?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at getting new tires in the spring and would like a lift also. I was thinking 35 or 37 with a 3inch lift. My JKU has 4.10 ratio. What's the biggest I can or should go for a daily driver plus off road. Options on Tire size and lift to go along?

What kind of budget are you working with? 35's will make for a great daily driver especially on a budget but you can make 37's work well too - it'll just cost a bit more to do it right.

gurjeezy

A 3" lift will clear both 35s and 37s.

It's going to depend on what kind of off-roading you do, 35"+ is when you start getting into the heavier tire range and you may want to keep an eye on other components like the axle shafts and Axle C's since they will start wearing prematurely (again, depending on your wheeling) you should be okay if it's moderate off-road and pavement. What a lot of people do is buy a pair of chromoly axle shafts and keep them as spares. That way they can run their OE shafts for as long as they until they HAVE to change them out.

From my knowledge 2012+ JKs often perform well enough with the 4.10 on 35s but honestly, I'd upgrade to a 4.88 gear ratio for a 35 and a 5.13 for a 37. You're just going to get much better performance from your Jeep on highways, off-road, and higher elevations.

In conclusion, if you're doing moderate off-roading and daily driving, I'd stick with the 35" on a 2.5/3" lift and re-gear to a 4.88 ratio.

Last edited:

bradya1

Haven't really set an amount at all. It's my first jeep so I really don't want the best on it. It's just trial and error for now until i learn and get the hang of things then I'll get a new jeep with the nicer mods. It's kinda my prototype. Maybe do under $600 for the lift if possible. I really like the looks of 37s. I'm in Michigan so we don't have a lot of rocks up here mostly old logging trails so maybe 35s would be the best bet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't really set an amount at all. It's my first jeep so I really don't want the best on it. It's just trial and error for now until i learn and get the hang of things then I'll get a new jeep with the nicer mods. It's kinda my prototype. Maybe do under $600 for the lift if possible. I really like the looks of 37s. I'm in Michigan so we don't have a lot of rocks up here mostly old logging trails so maybe 35s would be the best bet.

Not gonna be able to do much with under $600. At or around that price, you really should be looking at a coil spacer lift or what a lot of people refer to as a "budget boost". Get it with shock extensions and call it a day. 35's are really where you want to be with this.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

With all the being said, I also suggest the budget boost and 35s. I am running the Rough Country series 2 budget boost that is about $180. But they are steel so with you living in a state that always puts salt the road, I suggest the rubber ones that AEV or Daystar sell.

Last edited:

mds22

EVO leveling kit, cut fenders, 35s of your choice. Call it a day! $240 (not counting wheels/tires?)total. got $$ left over? Upgrade your shocks and add EVO front sway bar links that are proper length.

RedRum

EVO leveling kit, cut fenders, 35s of your choice. Call it a day! $240 (not counting wheels/tires?)total. got $$ left over? Upgrade your shocks and add EVO front sway bar links that are proper length.

This !
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443984216.029375.jpg

BlackHawk08jk

I'm running a 4" rough country lift. (500 bucks) and I really like it it gets the job done for sure. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444042311.572746.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444042367.892094.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444042409.280145.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444042447.498621.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running a 4" rough country lift. (500 bucks) and I really like it it gets the job done for sure.

Just because you can lift your Jeep 4" and for only $500 doesn't mean that it's a good idea or that you should especially if you use your Jeep more than for just flexing it out on the trail. At that height, you really need to address things like your front drive shaft and rear as well if you have a 2-door. You will want new longer shocks, extended brake lines, longer sway bar links for the rear and front as well if you have a Rubicon. Of course, 4" is crazy tall for as set of 35's and if you choose to run 37's, regearing is highly recommended as well. This is to say nothing about adjustable control arms to set caster and pinion angles or track bars to recenter your axle or even better, drag link flip/track bar relocation brackets.

Just trying to put things into perspective.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Just because you can lift your Jeep 4" and for only $500 doesn't mean that it's a good idea or that you should especially if you use your Jeep more than for just flexing it out on the trail. At that height, you really need to address things like your front drive shaft and rear as well if you have a 2-door. You will want new longer shocks, extended brake lines, longer sway bar links for the rear and front as well if you have a Rubicon. Of course, 4" is crazy tall for as set of 35's and if you choose to run 37's, regearing is highly recommended as well. This is to say nothing about adjustable control arms to set caster and pinion angles or track bars to recenter your axle or even better, drag link flip/track bar relocation brackets.

Just trying to put things into perspective.

You are not kidding my $600 skyjacker kit is about to get swapped out for factory coils. I'd rather have s softer ride than the ground clearance. Not mention it handles like shit on the highway.

JAGS

Hooked
For $600, can you even get a set of 35s?

I can relate to the OP. I struggled for a couple years trying to do things on a super tight budget. Best thing to do is to look at things in stages. What is the end goal. What are some little things you can do here or there to help the planning. I'd look at creating a slightly modified stock Rubicon. Even at that you are likely looking at over your $600.

As Eddie and others have noted, a budget boost is a great option. Pair that with some stock Rubi springs and shocks (can be had used for pretty cheap/free if Panda has em. :thumb: ;)) and you are set. As for wheels/tires, you can look for some used 35s. Or keep eyes open for a set of newer Rubi take offs. With this set up, you can definitely get out and have some fun and still have a very nice daily driver.

Why can't you wheel what you have? We wheeled our Jeep nearly stock for a year while we found our build direction and it was a blast. If I only had $600 to work with I would spend it on recovery gear and some armor. Oil pan, and if you have an auto the transmission for sure. The cross-member is nice IMO as well.

If you are doing this mostly for looks. As mentioned throw some spacers on it and be done.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Why can't you wheel what you have? We wheeled our Jeep nearly stock for a year while we found our build direction and it was a blast. If I only had $600 to work with I would spend it on recovery gear and some armor. Oil pan, and if you have an auto the transmission for sure. The cross-member is nice IMO as well.

If you are doing this mostly for looks. As mentioned throw some spacers on it and be done.

Not to argue your point but it's always easier to wheel a stock Rubi than a stock sport or Sahara. I agree with using the $$ on recovery gear first though. :yup:

Jackal01

As Eddie and others have noted, a budget boost is a great option. Pair that with some stock Rubi springs and shocks (can be had used for pretty cheap/free if Panda has em. :thumb: ;)) and you are set. As for wheels/tires, you can look for some used 35s. Or keep eyes open for a set of newer Rubi take offs. With this set up, you can definitely get out and have some fun and still have a very nice daily driver.

I did a run this weekend with other wayalifers. I have a 2.5 budget boost, procomp shocks and 35 Duratracs on stock wheels with spacers. My rig did well and handled everything without skipping a beat. Check out the Hidden Falls thread for pics to see it in action (along with many other stock rigs or nearly-stock).

Doing it phases really helps and cheaping out will only make you do it again in the future most likely. It may suck to have to wait longer to get there but in the end you will be happier.

Brent McCartney

It is tough to not just run out and do some half ass mods. I know, 2015 sport rolling on 225 70 16's. But I made a plan and it's slowly coming together on my garage floor. Tera flex 2.5, found a dana 44 front, and now saving for gears for both axels, then will come wheels and tires, but in the end it will be built solid. Good luck and be patient. The bad ass Jeep will come.

RedRum

On a budget I strongly recommend against s high lift ! I traded in my jeep for a new 4 dr and was lucky most of the parts could be taken off and put on my new rubicon ! Yes a lower lift with 35s on a 4dr will be limiting but you can do a hell of a lot and have a great time while retaining and using the stock suspension you just paid for lol good luck !!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444083756.238511.jpg
Limitation met! If I floored it and didn't care maybe could have made it but not worth it lol

Top Bottom