Rear main seal has gone bad

Angry Aussie

Yesterday morning on my way to hidden falls my engine light came on and when I stopped to get gas I looked under the rig and it was leaking oil pretty heavily.

My rig has 34,300 miles on it.

Are there any other seals, gaskets or bearings I should check or may go out soon?

How long does it take to change the seal out?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
RMS is a pretty common seal to go. 34k is a bit soon though and hopefully something that will get covered under warranty. Everything else "should" be good.

Angry Aussie

RMS is a pretty common seal to go. 34k is a bit soon though and hopefully something that will get covered under warranty. Everything else "should" be good.

Cool thanks! I thought it was a little early for it to go but oh well it happens. Just sucks I changed my oil the night before so there's 6 quarts of royal purple down the drain. I'm glad it happened close to home and not on the trail.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Cool thanks! I thought it was a little early for it to go but oh well it happens. Just sucks I changed my oil the night before so there's 6 quarts of royal purple down the drain. I'm glad it happened close to home and not on the trail.

No joke! Sorry you couldn't make it out yesterday! Was looking forward to meeting you. 34k, dealer should warranty it! Good luck!

jeeeep

Hooked
you sure about RMS? maybe drain plug not on 100% or if you have a skid on your oil pan, some of the pan bolts loose?

unless your RMS completely fell out, it's usually a real slow leak.

Angry Aussie

you sure about RMS? maybe drain plug not on 100% or if you have a skid on your oil pan, some of the pan bolts loose?

unless your RMS completely fell out, it's usually a real slow leak.

There was no oil leaking out of the plug or the oil pan at all. It was coming from high up on the motor. I wish it would have been the plug or loose skid plate bolts.

It must have Fallen out completely it's crazy how much oil was all over the place.

Angry Aussie

No joke! Sorry you couldn't make it out yesterday! Was looking forward to meeting you. 34k, dealer should warranty it! Good luck!

We were so disappointed we couldn't make it out. I really wanted to meet everyone. Oh well I'll be ready for the next meet up. Glad to see so many people made it out and everyone had a good time.

jeeeep

Hooked
There was no oil leaking out of the plug or the oil pan at all. It was coming from high up on the motor. I wish it would have been the plug or loose skid plate bolts.

It must have Fallen out completely it's crazy how much oil was all over the place.

that sucks - hopefully it's a warranty item since you have low mileage.

mpc355

Rms

The rear main seal failed on my JK with about 12k miles on it. It was a very very slow leak though. If you just changed your oil, did you change your filter as well. You said the leak is coming from up high on the motor. I'm pretty sure the housing that holds the filter is made out of plastic and it's easily over tightened. When this happens I've read that oil will leak pretty quickly. Just seems like a pretty big coincidence for you to have changed your oil just the other day and now you suddenly have a leak... Guess you wont know for sure until you take it in to the dealership, good news is, if it's the rear main seal you should be warrantied....

Angry Aussie

The rear main seal failed on my JK with about 12k miles on it. It was a very very slow leak though. If you just changed your oil, did you change your filter as well. You said the leak is coming from up high on the motor. I'm pretty sure the housing that holds the filter is made out of plastic and it's easily over tightened. When this happens I've read that oil will leak pretty quickly. Just seems like a pretty big coincidence for you to have changed your oil just the other day and now you suddenly have a leak... Guess you wont know for sure until you take it in to the dealership, good news is, if it's the rear main seal you should be warrantied....

I know, that was part of why I was so worried. I did change the filter and this was my 7th time changing the oil myself and I've never had any issues before and didn't do anything different this time. There wasn't any oil coming from the oil filter area. The timing couldn't have been worse. I was so excited for this trip and having the doors off for the first time in way to long. And most importantly to miss the biggest wayalife gathering in Texas or hidden falls since I've been on this forum. My girlfriend said I looked like someone had stolen my puppy when I realized we couldn't make it out to hidden falls.

I'm glad everyone else made it and had a great time! The pictures are awesome to see, but painful as well. ;) I'll be at the next big gathering.

Top Bottom