Help! Broken prop shaft boot?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I noticed this while giving my under carriage a once over.

Is this a problem?

Totally common on 2007-11 JK's with an automatic transmission and with 3" or more lift or with 2.5" of lift and shocks that allow for too much droop. This is also totally common on 2012-up JK's that have 3" or more lift or with 2.5" of lift and shocks that allow for too much droop regardless of what kind of transmission you have.

It won't be a problem for now but, it will be in the long run. You really need to save up and replace it with a double cardan u-joint style shaft and get that taken care of sooner than later.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Raymond7905 said:
Are these Tom Woods shafts any good?

Only if you pay extra to get spicer or Neapco u-joints with it. Otherwise, you'll just get cheap Chinese joints that I have seen fail time and time again.

rinkishjk

Are these Tom Woods shafts any good?

Ive spent alot of money replacing my tom woods shaft u joints with spicers, rebalancing both, front twice, replaced two yokes due to ujoints spinning in them, oh and lets not forget painting.
I wish I had got a coast or je reel, or even had my driveline shop build em....
I wont recommend or buy his shafts ever again.
Ive spent more money fixing them, than I paid originally for them.

my_jk

Looks like I have something to add to my list mine came off completely the day after I got my lift. How much do you think a double cardan u-joint style shaft would cost installed?

Gibbo

Installed front and rear JE Reel 1350 drive shafts today. According to the installation instructions the rear shaft and pinion should be in line on the same plane. We stopped jacking the pinion when the rear coils started bowing, so there is a slight angle at the pinion. I took it for a 2hr drive after at 60-70mph with no vibrations at all. It drove quiet and smooth. Does anybody know if I can leave it at this angle, or should I go the rest of the way up on the pinion, and maybe use some wedge spacers on the bottom of the coils to straighten them up.

Attachments

• 2012-12-07 17.58.39.jpg
    2012-12-07 17.58.39.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 53

Skirmish

A little bow in the springs won't hurt them but angled spacers are a cheap fix. Synergy has them for $25, I'm sure there are others. The straighter your shaft is to the pinion the less stress you put on the joint. Whether or not it will be an issue depends on how hard you push it. On the road it would probably not be an issue but climbing rock with a dropped rear wheel will increase the angle and added torque or any bounce is added stress.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Installed front and rear JE Reel 1350 drive shafts today. According to the installation instructions the rear shaft and pinion should be in line on the same plane. We stopped jacking the pinion when the rear coils started bowing, so there is a slight angle at the pinion. I took it for a 2hr drive after at 60-70mph with no vibrations at all. It drove quiet and smooth. Does anybody know if I can leave it at this angle, or should I go the rest of the way up on the pinion, and maybe use some wedge spacers on the bottom of the coils to straighten them up.

It's okay to be a bit off but, that looks quite a bit off to me, or, at least in that pic. I would try bringing it more in line - even if you think you're not feeling anything. Spring bow is totally normal and not really a problem but, if you really want to fix it, the BEST way to do it is to install a pair of adjustable coil perches like what JKS makes. Wedges will help a bit not completely fix things.

main.php

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...TS&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Coil_Spring

Gibbo

It's okay to be a bit off but, that looks quite a bit off to me, or, at least in that pic. I would try bringing it more in line - even if you think you're not feeling anything. Spring bow is totally normal and not really a problem but, if you really want to fix it, the BEST way to do it is to install a pair of adjustable coil perches like what JKS makes. Wedges will help a bit not completely fix things.

main.php

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...TS&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Coil_Spring

Now those look like the go!. I didn't know those were available. I'll be sourcing out some of those today. I'll further adjust what I've got now in the mean time. Thanks for the info.

Gibbo

Ok, adjusted the flat bottom of the pinion to run parallel to the drive shaft. Having driven it before with it at an angle, it does drive smoother now.

Attachments

• 2012-12-08 18.22.48.jpg
    2012-12-08 18.22.48.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 31

Gibbo

Those are pretty sweet. JKS has some great ideas.

I've got to agree with you that these spring mounts are sweet. I was going to weld new ones on top, or even cut off and move the ones that are there now, but I wasn't sure how to know when they were in the right spot before welding. With these it seems you can bolt these on and nip the bolts up,put everything back together, put the Jeep back on its wheels back on the ground, and then tap these around to the right spot, then tighten up the bolts. Sounds easy when I say it like that.

Top Bottom