Spare tire snowboard rack?

lowered&lifted

Nothing is really showing up in search, on here or on Google. That said, I'm also new to this world, so I maybe overlooking something.

Basically I want a 4pk snowboard rack that mounts on or near the spare tire. I have a soft top and I'm lifted, so I don't really want anything on the roof. Ideally I'd like something that hugs the spare itself so I can still open the tailgate. What kind of options are out there?

Open to other ideas too. I plan to be hitting the slopes in the JKU a lot this winter and I'd like to be able to pile four people with four sets of blades without compromising a comfortable transit. TIA.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
With just four people, you could probably figure out a way to mount the boards inside the Jeep running from the rear toward the front in between the front seats, if that make sense. You could basically hang them from the sport cage. Need to dry off the boards for the drive home though. If you go that route, just make sure it is secure in the event of an accident.

I may have to figure out an inside mount for this season.

MTG

Caught the Bug
With just four people, you could probably figure out a way to mount the boards inside the Jeep running from the rear toward the front in between the front seats, if that make sense. You could basically hang them from the sport cage. Need to dry off the boards for the drive home though. If you go that route, just make sure it is secure in the event of an accident.

I may have to figure out an inside mount for this season.

4 snowboards inside with 4 people? I'd love to see that. Lol!

seanb123

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444154193.944641.jpg

It looks like Thule has updated their ski rack but this pic is the old one which I have and it takes a standard bike rack and turns it into a 4 snowboard rack. I love mine it works great.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
4 snowboards inside with 4 people? I'd love to see that. Lol!

Very doable. Most boards are going to be somewhere around 10" wide. So on edge, that's 20" give or take. There is easily 20" between the top of the backseat and the bottom of the rear sport bar. With the bindings folded, two boards placed base to base are going to be maybe 15" wide.

I already have some ideas as to how to make this work.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And not to state the obvious, but if the two rear passengers don't mind sitting next to each other then you can fold down the smaller rear seat and easily throw your boards in.

lowered&lifted

Excellent responses, thanks! That Thule one is kinda what I was thinking, but I thought I had seen a picture of a rack that was kind pyramid shaped that slid down from above on the spare tire, but I couldn't find a name or place that sold it. Maybe custom?

Folding the side seat down is super reasonable and not necessarily obvious for a brand new jeep owner, heh.

FishsJK

I wonder how plastered the skis would get on a highway drive... I'm either going to do a roof rack on my hard top or this. This is the more economic price point but if it's getting salt on my 1000$ ski's.....

Jk909

I just throw mine on my trail rack. It's simple and can be used for much more than just boarding trips

Top Bottom