exhaust bolt stuck!

Wethy

hey everyone as the title states i have a muffler clamp bolt that is hard to reach. its the one beside the transfer case. i was trying to install my exhaust spacers but i dont have a socket thats deep enough to get on the bolt and its so tight i cant turn a wrench on it. other than spending 20 bucks on a gear wrench does anyone have any tips on getting that bolt loose? i live in the rust belt and i sprayed it with some WD-40 to help but no dice on that, so lets hear your suggestions! the plan is to eventually buy a new DS and the guys that sold me my lift threw these in for me so i figured i could use them to buy me some time.
thanks in advance

epetry

PB blaster and the correct tools. Don't want to try and shortcut it and end up doing more damage. Also try a little Map gas torch or run the car until the exhaust gets hot and trying to break it loose.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
No help here but to say that bolt is an SOB. I have an exhaust pipe from Xmas in my shed bc of that bolt...

JohnnyD

Heat man, she need the heat!

Like said above, if pb or wd doesn't loosen her then give her the heat, she will come off

Wethy

thanks everyone i did put some liquid wrench(a better (in my opinion) version of WD ) on tonight and then i try again tomrorow and if that don't work a little torch action and go from there i guess ha ha

JakeJK

thanks everyone i did put some liquid wrench(a better (in my opinion) version of WD ) on tonight and then i try again tomrorow and if that don't work a little torch action and go from there i guess ha ha

Better than WD40 in what aspect?

JohnnyD

In myto penetrate better but could simply be that I've always used those products because they were specifically labeled as such lol

Wethy

Better than WD40 in what aspect?

i find it penetrates faster and does a better job breaking down the stuck on dirt and other contaminates, but like others its just my experiences and maybe im crazy ha ha.
a couple years ago i had a timing belt let go on m neon. and i had to pull the engine and there were stuck on rusted bolts that would not let go. and i had a parts car that had been sitting and i had the same issues. WD-40 just wasnt cutting it so when i was out and about looking for another solution i found liquid wrench. and i found it just did a better job than WD i ended up getting both motors out and making a franken motor out of the two and put it all back together. have used liquid wrench since then. just my experience never tried PB Blaster ha ha i got another suggestion from a buddy of mine to just cut it off and put a new one on if i cant get it

JakeJK

i find it penetrates faster and does a better job breaking down the stuck on dirt and other contaminates, but like others its just my experiences and maybe im crazy ha ha.
a couple years ago i had a timing belt let go on m neon. and i had to pull the engine and there were stuck on rusted bolts that would not let go. and i had a parts car that had been sitting and i had the same issues. WD-40 just wasnt cutting it so when i was out and about looking for another solution i found liquid wrench. and i found it just did a better job than WD i ended up getting both motors out and making a franken motor out of the two and put it all back together. have used liquid wrench since then. just my experience never tried PB Blaster ha ha i got another suggestion from a buddy of mine to just cut it off and put a new one on if i cant get it

Well sure PB blaster is a better rust penetrator haha that's what it's specifically designed for. WD40 is a general lubricant used for a variety of applications making it probably one of the best overall products to have around a home or shop. I think that they also came out with a rust penetrator spray that probably would work better than WD40 for this application. Maybe not as well as PB blaster but who knows.

Sorry for the tangent just very fond of WD40 as both of my granddads were Air Force, one a flight engineer and both swore by duct tape and WD40 hahaha

Can't beat it IMO mostly because of its versatility

Top Bottom