Data bus

Coop

Caught the Bug
Has anybody ever tried to intercept the JK data bus to display oil temp, Trans temp, oil pressure, etc, and written about it? I would like to do this without buying an expensive programmer like theTrailDash. But maybe that's my best option?
Coop

Brent McCartney

Has anybody ever tried to intercept the JK data bus to display oil temp, Trans temp, oil pressure, etc, and written about it? I would like to do this without buying an expensive programmer like theTrailDash. But maybe that's my best option?
Coop

My 2015 displays all that.

Scrambler

Nice! Mine does not. Anybody have experience with this?

I don't see how it does not. I didn't think their was a model that was more stripped down than mine. I have AC as my only option and mine displays all this information.

Coop

Caught the Bug
My steering wheel button toggles only thru 4 items, compass, mpg, eta, and trip mileage. Mine is a sport c.

Scrambler

My steering wheel button toggles only thru 4 items, compass, mpg, eta, and trip mileage. Mine is a sport c.

That's strange. You've got me stumped on this one. I'm now wondering if I got up sold on something at the dealership that I didn't want.

Saharacon

If you have a tablet laying around you can easily convert that into a system reader. I used a obd 2 bluetooth adapter from amazon and one of the many apps available. I like the Torque app shops me trans temps, coolant, engine etc.

Coop

Caught the Bug
If you have a tablet laying around you can easily convert that into a system reader. I used a obd 2 bluetooth adapter from amazon and one of the many apps available. I like the Torque app shops me trans temps, coolant, engine etc.

I would like to hear more about how you did this if you care to share!
Thanks,
coop

Saharacon

Yea no problem. It's really easy honestly. On amazon type in OBD2 Bluetooth. Now look around for a bit and find one you like I went with one for 20$..

Next step is to go to the app store and start looking for obd2 readers. Like I said before Torques paid version is by far the best out there IMO.

After that you just plug it into the port under the dash. I tucked mine away to avoid kicking it.

I went even further and hardwired in a charging system for the tablet. That way when the jeep turns on. So does the tablet.

Brent McCartney

I don't see how it does not. I didn't think their was a model that was more stripped down than mine. I have AC as my only option and mine displays all this information.

Mine is a sport, base sport. Crank window manual locks and a/c. I thought they all cars displayed that info nowdays.

Scrambler

I just took some pictures myself to try to help me understand what's different between our two models. When I want to view the info you are looking for, I hit the menu button shown in this pic until I get to....
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444399993.476541.jpg
This.... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444400066.422200.jpg
Then I hit the down arrow from the first pic to display this info. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444400121.373515.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444400134.108310.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444400145.379464.jpg

Each time I hit the down arrow it displays a different reading. Do you have these menu options?

Coop

Caught the Bug
All the best puddles are always at the mall.

I'm always finding mud in places like the back of the steering wheel! I will send you guys a pic. Your buttons are like my wife's Sport S. I have two buttons. You probably have a key with lock buttons? My key is just a key. The info you can access is what I would like to put on a simple display. I will check out the suggestion above.
Coop

Scrambler

Nope. Just a key here. What year is your jeep btw? My interest is peaked now because I when we bought our Jeep, we told them we wanted the bottom of the line with A/C as the only option. It seems that the dealer snuck a few options in on ours that we probably payed a premium for.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Nope. Just a key here. What year is your jeep btw? My interest is peaked now because I when we bought our Jeep, we told them we wanted the bottom of the line with A/C as the only option. It seems that the dealer snuck a few options in on ours that we probably payed a premium for.

Mine is a 2015 Sport C. The bottom of the bottom, only a jeepster could love.
Steering Wheel.jpg

Coop

Caught the Bug
I wonder if putting the other switches in that you guys have would access the info I want?
Coop

Scrambler

I wonder if putting the other switches in that you guys have would access the info I want?
Coop

I'm willing to bet that some sort of flash at the dealership or possibly finding a bezel from one that displays those options would allow you to use the buttons you have. The sensors are already installed and sending the info to your vehicle's computer. It'd be nice if you could find a way to display it with factory components and minimal modification. This should all be taken with a grain of salt though. I'm just spit balling here.

Top Bottom