Dielectric grease on Truk-lite led head light connection?

Fried Eagle

I took delivery today of a pair of Truck-lite LED headlights. I also bought a pair of H4-To-H13 Jeep Wrangler JK Anti-Flicker Decoders. There is no instructions in either of the head light boxes. The Truk-Lite's each came with a small tube of what appears to be a brown grease. I assume it is dielectric grease. I have watched at least 20 Youtubies of how to use that grease and they are about evenly split. Half say to coat the entire connector with a fine layer of grease and half say do not apply it to the metal parts. I know for a fact that the grease does not/will not conduct electricity. A couple of vids have pointed out that when you put the connectors together the grease is pushed out of the way and a good connection is made.

What do you guys think? Has anyone had any problems coating the entire (inside) connector with the dielectric grease?

Jhinds7253

I used dielectric grease on mine. I always use it on connectors though, never been a issue. Stops it from corroding.

CCTX50

I put some inside the connectors and then plugged it in. Did this well over a year ago and have never had any issues.

JakeJK

Well dielectric grease is an insulator but I'd imagine putting it inside the connectors wouldn't cause a problem because the metal parts that contact will still touch they'll just move the grease somewhere else in the area, leaving whatever parts of the plug and the connector covered in grease keeping them from corroding.

I think that makes sense

JakeJK

Well dielectric grease is an insulator but I'd imagine putting it inside the connectors wouldn't cause a problem because the metal parts that contact will still touch they'll just move the grease somewhere else in the area, leaving whatever parts of the plug and the connector covered in grease keeping them from corroding.

I think that makes sense

Edit: I was never good at run-on sentences

Damn just quoted instead of editing LOL time to go to bed

jeeeep

Hooked
while usually it's best to put the grease on the non-electrical surface, the connectors on the pigtail are tight enough that they'll scrape the grease off and still make good contact, this'll keep the moisture and corrosion out.

If you were putting it on spark plugs then it would make a difference if you put it on the metal portion of the boot or plug, in this case you just want to lightly coat the ceramic body and inside the rubber portion of the boot only.

Top Bottom