Help me select a CAI

After dealing with some hydro assist issues I've decided to replace my reservoir with a PSC reservoir. It is my understanding that while I could trim my factory box it is really easier to just run a CAI (especially considering I have already done some whittling to add the cooler to my existing system).

I've been hesitant to do this due to the problems some have had with oil consumption on their 3.6L after hard running with a CAI. So with that said here are my desires and in the order of importance.

1-Work well with the PSC reservoir in the factory reservoir location.
2-Some shielding from splashed water. While I try to avoid mud. Mud and water is a Wayalife around me and I have had a few splashes make it to the intake of the factory box. Nothing too serious but the engine did choke a bit.
3-NO SNORKEL. (Don't even try to talk me into one)
4-Easily replaceable paper filter, I'd prefer to not have a clean and oil type.

So, with the above said.... What do you all suggest? What are you running and what do you like/dislike about it?

Sithwindu

After dealing with some hydro assist issues I've decided to replace my reservoir with a PSC reservoir. It is my understanding that while I could trim my factory box it is really easier to just run a CAI (especially considering I have already done some whittling to add the cooler to my existing system).

I've been hesitant to do this due to the problems some have had with oil consumption on their 3.6L after hard running with a CAI. So with that said here are my desires and in the order of importance.

1-Work well with the PSC reservoir in the factory reservoir location.
2-Some shielding from splashed water. While I try to avoid mud. Mud and water is a Wayalife around me and I have had a few splashes make it to the intake of the factory box. Nothing too serious but the engine did choke a bit.
3-NO SNORKEL. (Don't even try to talk me into one)
4-Easily replaceable paper filter, I'd prefer to not have a clean and oil type.

So, with the above said.... What do you all suggest? What are you running and what do you like/dislike about it?

Have you thought about a snorkel? [emoji28]

Last edited:
Have you bought about a snorkel? [emoji28]

Every-time I see one....

elephants_8.1.2012_whytheymatter1_HI_247511.jpg

Rhin0247

I am a fan of Banks CAI's... I had one in my TJ and in my Trans Am... I do plan on getting one for the JK eventually, but since you will lose about 2-3 inches of water forging I plan to wait until I have the lift and tires I want. The Banks Power 41837-D is what I have listed as it is a dry filter, so no oil to mess with

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You know, I'm pretty sure that PSC has a reservoir that works with a factory air box now. If anything, this is what I would do.

Otherwise, I run an AIRAID on Rubicat. It has a factory like box but like you, I've had to trim out the side of it to make it possible to run a PSC reservoir. I run it with one of their dry filters and a sock to help keep the dust out but, if I can make a factory air box work, I'd be going back to it.

You know, I'm pretty sure that PSC has a reservoir that works with a factory air box now. If anything, this is what I would do.

Otherwise, I run an AIRAID on Rubicat. It has a factory like box but like you, I've had to trim out the side of it to make it possible to run a PSC reservoir. I run it with one of their dry filters and a sock to help keep the dust out but, if I can make a factory air box work, I'd be going back to it.

You know.... you are right. I am about done with this Jeep for the season anyway so I have lots of time to tinker. I think I'm going to talk to PSC and see if I can make the factory box work before just throwing in the towel and putting a CAI in (that I really don't want). Even if I have trimmed too muck on my current box I can likely score another for cheaper than a CAI.

Thanks for snapping me back to reality. :yup:

Good call on this Eddie.

I just got off the phone. The new bracket does allow use of the factory air-box. I'm not certain the trim work I have already done will work out, but like I said, I'd rather buy a new factory air-box to re-trim over adding a CAI. :yup:

PSC Pump and Reservoir on order. :yup:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I think I read of a few guys using a dual battery tray and mounting the res up there, just a thought.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good call on this Eddie.

I just got off the phone. The new bracket does allow use of the factory air-box. I'm not certain the trim work I have already done will work out, but like I said, I'd rather buy a new factory air-box to re-trim over adding a CAI. :yup:

PSC Pump and Reservoir on order. :yup:

Awesome. Can you tell me what the part numbers are on what you got? I think it might be time to finally do this as well. :yup:

Awesome. Can you tell me what the part numbers are on what you got? I think it might be time to finally do this as well. :yup:

I got tired of playing around with my steering issue so I pulled the trigger on both the pump and reservoir kit. Info here -> http://www.pscmotorsports.com/12-13-jeep-jk-high-volume-pump-kit.html (I kinda feel dumb now, because the pictures show it with the factory box and what needs to be cut.)

I know you already have most of the system, so I would think all you really need is a new bracket and hose kit. I'd definitely call to make sure but I think that would be SR146-6-12-Gen IV 8.25" and HK2153

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I got tired of playing around with my steering issue so I pulled the trigger on both the pump and reservoir kit. Info here -> http://www.pscmotorsports.com/12-13-jeep-jk-high-volume-pump-kit.html (I kinda feel dumb now, because the pictures show it with the factory box and what needs to be cut.)

I know you already have most of the system, so I would think all you really need is a new bracket and hose kit. I'd definitely call to make sure but I think that would be SR146-6-12-Gen IV 8.25" and HK2153

Okay, I knew this kit was out there but hadn't seen any pics of it till now. I had already made a setup like this and it looks like I might be able to make it work just by getting a new factory air box. Thanks for the help.

Okay, I knew this kit was out there but hadn't seen any pics of it till now. I had already made a setup like this and it looks like I might be able to make it work just by getting a new factory air box. Thanks for the help.

I kinda thought that might be the case. I'm happy to help in any way. Lord knows you have helped me a ton. :yup:

JAGS

Hooked
I wish you didn't have to cut into the box at all. That's still my concern even with this newer version. Better than the older set up though.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That cut is nothing. It would be very easy to reseal the box. Just cut a piece of appropriately sized pvc pipe in half and glue the half onto the box with the interior of the pvc pipe facing outward as a channel for the pump line.

That cut is nothing. It would be very easy to reseal the box. Just cut a piece of appropriately sized pvc pipe in half and glue the half onto the box with the interior of the pvc pipe facing outward as a channel for the pump line.

This is exactly what I wasn thinking of doing. (Well, actually I was going to use an old shop vac tube but same idea) :thumb:

I'll bet you could find a "new" box from someone who has put on a CAI that you could get for a little of nothing. Start from new so to speak.... Thanks for the info!!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:, Looks like Eddie beat you to it. Hope one comes up for you. Either one of you, post some pictures up on how you do your work around on the cut, please! I love WAL......

MTG

Caught the Bug
I thought PSC had an even newer reservoir that allowed the factory airbox to be used WITHOUT cutting? :idontknow:

Top Bottom