2013 JKU on a car dolly?

USMC Wrangler

I'm moving in a few weeks and just found out Penske will not allow a JKU on the car hauler. I will have to use the dolly instead. I've never had a need to remove either driveshaft (yet), but will need to remove the rear for towing according to Penske. The closest pickup location to me is 4 1/2 hours away and I want to make sure I have all the tools/equipment I may need to do this there. Any tips or tricks I should know about?

Sorry if this is already answered somewhere and thanks in advance!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why would you need to remove the rear drive shaft when you have a transfer case that can go into neutral?

In any case, all you need is an 8mm socket to remove the bolts securing it to the output shaft and pinion flanges. It's time consuming but not difficult to do.

USMC Wrangler

I guess that would've been my next question...using neutral on the transfer case. I figured Penske's rep was adamant for liability reasons.

So no issues doing that over about 800 miles? I'd much rather throw it in neutral than crawl around on the ground at the Penske location.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess that would've been my next question...using neutral on the transfer case. I figured Penske's rep was adamant for liability reasons.

So no issues doing that over about 800 miles? I'd much rather throw it in neutral than crawl around on the ground at the Penske location.

What I can tell you is that people flat tow their jeeps all the time and all across the country. You should talk to Moochie as he would have more info on this than me.

I'm not a mechanic and don't claim to be one, but I have been told there is something different about Jeeps that requires you to do more than just place the transfer case in neutral. Again, I may of just had bad info.

The owner of my company has flat towed his 07' over 200k miles behind his motor-home. All he does is put the transfer case in neutral and hook up the tow bar.

Edit to add: There are lots of "all wheel drive" vehicles that are marketed as "4x4" (like my Ford Explorer). You have to be careful with these, but any real 4x4 with a real transfer case should be easy peasy.

USMC Wrangler

The owner of my company has flat towed his 07' over 200k miles behind his motor-home. All he does is put the transfer case in neutral and hook up the tow bar.

Edit to add: There are lots of "all wheel drive" vehicles that are marketed as "4x4" (like my Ford Explorer). You have to be careful with these, but any real 4x4 with a real transfer case should be easy peasy.

I was just explaining this to my wife. We also have a 13 Explorer that's "4x4". Definitely different.

I did pm Moochie. I also found this article that makes me believe there is some reason all four tires need to be on the ground to use the neutral t-case selection. http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2007/05/tow_jeep_wrangler_unlimited.php

Moochie

I just put the transfer case in neutral and transmission into park, just like my manual says. Since mine is a 2008 it is necessary to turn the key to the first position. This keeps the steering wheel from locking when turned. I don't think this is required after 2009 models. I use a tow system designed for use behind a RV, including a supplemental braking system required by most states.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a mechanic and don't claim to be one, but I have been told there is something different about Jeeps that requires you to do more than just place the transfer case in neutral. Again, I may of just had bad info.

It depends on the transfer case.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just put the transfer case in neutral and transmission into park, just like my manual says. Since mine is a 2008 it is necessary to turn the key to the first position. This keeps the steering wheel from locking when turned. I don't think this is required after 2009 models. I use a tow system designed for use behind a RV, including a supplemental braking system required by most states.

LOL!! I was just about to send you a text. Thanks for chiming in :yup:

USMC Wrangler

I guess I should've actually looked in my manual before posting. From what I read, it looks like I will have to remove the rear DS to use the dolly or risk damage.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444407851.324892.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444407867.071774.jpg

EDIT: Thanks for the feedback everyone!

toxicwaste29

You can try finding a tool rental place that rents bobcats and such. They usually have construction trailers that are flat beds and can haul those loads

USMC Wrangler

You can try finding a tool rental place that rents bobcats and such. They usually have construction trailers that are flat beds and can haul those loads

Good idea, except I currently live 120 miles one way from the nearest town and will be moving to another state.

Edit: I wish it was that simple, but thanks for the idea.

Last edited:

Brent McCartney

I towed a front wheel drive car across country, car was never right afterwards. Will never tow on a dolly again, get a flat car hauler. Penski rents them too.

USMC Wrangler

I towed a front wheel drive car across country, car was never right afterwards. Will never tow on a dolly again, get a flat car hauler. Penski rents them too.

I'm willing to pay for the hauler, but Penske won't allow a JKU on them. They are my only option for one way moving. Also, I have to make the 4 1/2 hour drive there in my Jeep, load it and drive the moving truck to the house.

I appreciate the ideas, but they just don't work in my situation, living very rural.

Top Bottom