Lifter / Tappet issue? 3.8L

Kingmk

All,
I picked up a lightly used "X" (09) and it has a noise in the top end on one side. Sounds to me like a lifter or tappet. The sound is only there when the engine is cold. After 3 minutes or so or when the engine gets up to temp. The sound goes away and runs as quiet as a mouse. I have added some sea foam to the oil hoping to clear any possible clog age. But no change. Besides taking it to the shop, any ideas??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it goes away after your engine warms up, you most likely have a small exhaust leak at the manifold. This is a very common problem with the 3.8L motor.

JakeJK

If it goes away after your engine warms up, you most likely have a small exhaust leak at the manifold. This is a very common problem with the 3.8L motor.

What if you have a similar noise but it just gets quoted after its warm? A bigger exhaust leak?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What if you have a similar noise but it just gets quoted after its warm? A bigger exhaust leak?

Yes, that is possible. A big crack in the manifold or loose connection between your manifold and cats will have a sound that will not go away once warmed up and will get louder when accelerating.

jeeeep

Hooked
as mentioned, check your exhaust manifolds. I had the same noise on my 3.8, passenger side manifold crack you could see inside it, driver side also cracked not as bad but also cracked.

SierraSilver

Mine also has it and like Eddue said, the cracked headed or other leaks are the issue. Switching to a heavier oil also quiets that engine down. I have 136k on mine, and is still going strong cracked headers and all.

JakeJK

Yes, that is possible. A big crack in the manifold or loose connection between your manifold and cats will have a sound that will not go away once warmed up and will get louder when accelerating.

So I'm guessing it would be a visible crack at that point? I'll have to go take a good look at it and see

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm guessing it would be a visible crack at that point? I'll have to go take a good look at it and see

IF it's on your exhaust manifold and on top, it would be something you could see. IF it's just a loose or missing nut (happens a lot) where the manifold connects to the cats, you should be able to see that as well.

JakeJK

IF it's on your exhaust manifold and on top, it would be something you could see. IF it's just a loose or missing nut (happens a lot) where the manifold connects to the cats, you should be able to see that as well.

Alright cool, I'll go check those things. Thanks!

Kingmk

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Was thinking maybe leak, but I have never had a manifold crack. One work with shorty header out? What's a good make for OEM fit.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks for the info. Was thinking maybe leak, but I have never had a manifold crack. One work with shorty header out? What's a good make for OEM fit.

I have a set of Gibson ceramic shorty headers listed in the for sale section - they have OEM fit but only if you're running a stock coil and plug gap. If you have a performance coil they won't work unless you have access to someone with the proper equipment to adjust the timing.

Otherwise, I would suggest you buy Mopar OEM for the best fit. I looked at bought and returned several cheap oem fit manifolds, most all were stamped made in china and the castings were rough and looked like crap.

Price out Mopar OEM at stevewhiteparts.com, that's where I found the best price for the manifolds and proper gaskets -- FYI, the manifolds have had a slight redesign to the ports, I was told by a mechanic they have made the change to lower the power band.

JakeJK

I have a set of Gibson ceramic shorty headers listed in the for sale section - they have OEM fit but only if you're running a stock coil and plug gap. If you have a performance coil they won't work unless you have access to someone with the proper equipment to adjust the timing.

Otherwise, I would suggest you buy Mopar OEM for the best fit. I looked at bought and returned several cheap oem fit manifolds, most all were stamped made in china and the castings were rough and looked like crap.

Price out Mopar OEM at stevewhiteparts.com, that's where I found the best price for the manifolds and proper gaskets -- FYI, the manifolds have had a slight redesign to the ports, I was told by a mechanic they have made the change to lower the power band.

Made a change to lower to power band?

jeeeep

Hooked
Made a change to lower to power band?

to move the power made lower in the rpm range. most 3.8's power is made at 4000 and above which IMO is pretty useless. I wish I had free access to a dyno, I'd like to see if the changes do make a difference as the mechanic suggested

JakeJK

to move the power made lower in the rpm range. most 3.8's power is made at 4000 and above which IMO is pretty useless. I wish I had free access to a dyno, I'd like to see if the changes do make a difference as the mechanic suggested

Ohhhh that makes more sense haha I thought you meant you were lowering the HP haha

Kingmk

Found it.

That was it. While Eng was cold I ran my hand under the manifold and felt the air/leak.

Thanks.

Top Bottom