New Wheels and Tires and sticking out of the fenders

Flynlo

I've been googling my *** off for the past few hours and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully someone here can help.

I'm going through a battle between being mature and logic and sticking with 33's, or doing the opposite and getting 35's. I'm running 4.10's with a manual and I'm very happy with the current gas mileage my wife is reporting back to me (I'm still overseas). My biggest fear of going to 35's would be tanking the fuel economy. I'm less worried about the power loss of a larger tire.

I'm currently running 33x10.5x15 KM2's on 15x8 w/ 3.75 BS and I'm not a fan of the "squatty" stance, my fault for not doing enough research before ordering them.
Jeep%20Wheel%20BS_zpshrviezs0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

14%20JK%20PS_zpsjw9owtxp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So I'm debating on a few things here. If I stay with 33's I'm going to get 285/75r16 KM2's on 16x8 wheels with 4.25" backspacing. I'll maintain my fuel economy and power from the 4.10's, and I know they'll get rid of the "squatty" look. Price will be around $1,600ish

-OR-

I go to 35's in which case there are two options:
1) 315/75r16 KM2's on 16x8 w 4.25" BS. I know I'll like the look but price is around $1,900ish
2) 35x12.5x15 KM2's on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's w/ 4" BS $1,300ish

I'm leaning far closer to the 35's on 15's for the sheer cost savings but I'm worried about the stance. Does anyone have any pictures of the #2 set up and can definitively show me how far the tires will stick out of the fenders?

Looking forward to hearing back from you all.

KCCO!

Flynlo

Or pictures of 35's on 8" wheels with 4" backspacing that can show me how far they'll stick out of the fenders?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Or pictures of 35's on 8" wheels with 4" backspacing that can show me how far they'll stick out of the fenders?

Not 4" but 4.5"
1444659070724.jpg
They stick out past the fenders about 1" ish.
This is a 12.50" wide tire, they do make 34x10.50 if you want to keep them flush with your fenders.

jeeeep

Hooked
I don't know if I'd go as small as 15 wheels, they are cheaper but will limit you on any brake upgrades.

I ran 315/70 17 on 17x9 wheels with 4.5BS

JC2012_415.jpg

L0011.jpg

L0010.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm debating on a few things here. If I stay with 33's I'm going to get 285/75r16 KM2's on 16x8 wheels with 4.25" backspacing. I'll maintain my fuel economy and power from the 4.10's, and I know they'll get rid of the "squatty" look. Price will be around $1,600ish

Just so that we're all on the same page, an advertised 33x12x50 tire will have a true measurement that is closer to 31" tall or there about. A 35x12.50 tire will have a true measurement that is about 33" tall. A 285/75R16 will have a true measurement that is about 33" tall. Do you see where I'm going with this?

I go to 35's in which case there are two options:
1) 315/75r16 KM2's on 16x8 w 4.25" BS. I know I'll like the look but price is around $1,900ish
2) 35x12.5x15 KM2's on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's w/ 4" BS $1,300ish

Again, an advertised 35x12.50 will have a true measurement that is about 33" tall, a 37x12.50 will have one that is closer to 35" and a 315/75R16 will have a true measurement that is closer to 35" tall. So you know, what I'm posting up is what I have physically measured myself. When it comes to things like lifting your Jeep and what tires you can fit, ALL manufacturers refer to "advertised" tire size and not "true" or actual size. The only time actual size matters is when you're calibrating your speedo.

All this being said, it sounds to me like your shopping for tires that are WAY BIGGER than what you were saying you were wanting.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
My tires as they sit with 28PSI and about 50% tread measure 16.5 to the center making them effectively 33" tall.
Here's some better picture of how far they stick out.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444662129.541633.jpg ,
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444662145.531375.jpg

Flynlo

Just so that we're all on the same page, an advertised 33x12x50 tire will have a true measurement that is closer to 31" tall or there about. A 35x12.50 tire will have a true measurement that is about 33" tall. A 285/75R16 will have a true measurement that is about 33" tall. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Again, an advertised 35x12.50 will have a true measurement that is about 33" tall, a 37x12.50 will have one that is closer to 35" and a 315/75R16 will have a true measurement that is closer to 35" tall. So you know, what I'm posting up is what I have physically measured myself. When it comes to things like lifting your Jeep and what tires you can fit, ALL manufacturers refer to "advertised" tire size and not "true" or actual size. The only time actual size matters is when you're calibrating your speedo.

All this being said, it sounds to me like your shopping for tires that are WAY BIGGER than what you were saying you were wanting.

Hey wayoflife, Really appreciate the input. I think you meant I'm shopping for tires that are way smaller than what I say I want. I chose these tire sizes very specifically. From my reading and measurements from other jeeps the 35x12.5x15 BFG's will net between 33.9" and 34.5" tall and the 315/75r16 will bring me around 34-35" of actual height, running a highway PSI of course. I have 4.10's with the pentastar and with the driving I do where I do it, I feel that a 34" tall tire (in and around that height) is perfect.

My choice to consider 15's is mostly due to the initial cost savings of the wheel and tire package, something in the range of $600 for "35's". I think it's crazy that the price difference between the 35x12.5x15 and the 35x12.5x17 is nearly $100 per tire. :thinking: I'm very happy with the JK brakes, being a manual I don't use them as much as an automatic would anyway, so I don't foresee an upgrade for those in the future. Neither would I see a steering upgrade in my future. The wheeling in New England is fairly muddy and I've never had a steering failure in the past on my other Jeeps.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Hey wayoflife, Really appreciate the input. I think you meant I'm shopping for tires that are way smaller than what I say I want. I chose these tire sizes very specifically. From my reading and measurements from other jeeps the 35x12.5x15 BFG's will net between 33.9" and 34.5" tall and the 315/75r16 will bring me around 34-35" of actual height, running a highway PSI of course. I have 4.10's with the pentastar and with the driving I do where I do it, I feel that a 34" tall tire (in and around that height) is perfect.

My choice to consider 15's is mostly due to the initial cost savings of the wheel and tire package, something in the range of $600 for "35's". I think it's crazy that the price difference between the 35x12.5x15 and the 35x12.5x17 is nearly $100 per tire. :thinking: I'm very happy with the JK brakes, being a manual I don't use them as much as an automatic would anyway, so I don't foresee an upgrade for those in the future. Neither would I see a steering upgrade in my future. The wheeling in New England is fairly muddy and I've never had a steering failure in the past on my other Jeeps.

I ran 4.10s on 35x12.5x17 with my 3.6 and manual and did not have issues at all. I know a regear is a good idea, but honestly I never had problems and I think I was still around 18mpg or so on the highway. You could always just run a set of stock 17s which can be found very cheap, and a set of wheel spacers if you want to save on that aspect. I did that as well and it worked fine with a 2.5" lift.

Flynlo

I ran 4.10s on 35x12.5x17 with my 3.6 and manual and did not have issues at all. I know a regear is a good idea, but honestly I never had problems and I think I was still around 18mpg or so on the highway. You could always just run a set of stock 17s which can be found very cheap, and a set of wheel spacers if you want to save on that aspect. I did that as well and it worked fine with a 2.5" lift.

Mine came with 3.23's and I upped to 4.10's thinking I would stick to 33's a lot longer, whoops. Although, I live at sea level and the elevation doesn't get much beyond 3,000 feet, so I'll be good with the gears. My JK is my DD and I figure I should retain some decent fuel economy, not great but decent enough.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Again, so that we're on the same page, if you run a set of 35x12.50's that WILL have an actual measurement of about 33", you will feel some power loss but not enough to matter with a set of 4.10's. If you run a set of 37x12.50's that WILL have an actual measurement that is closer to 35", you will feel a significant amount of power loss with 4.10's. How do I know? I have done it and speak from first hand experience. Now, are you're still wanting a tire that will have an actual height of about 34-35"?

Flynlo

Again, so that we're on the same page, if you run a set of 35x12.50's that WILL have an actual measurement of about 33", you will feel some power loss but not enough to matter with a set of 4.10's. If you run a set of 37x12.50's that WILL have an actual measurement that is closer to 35", you will feel a significant amount of power loss with 4.10's. How do I know? I have done it and speak from first hand experience. Now, are you're still wanting a tire that will have an actual height of about 34-35"?

Well of course I would like to stick to the 34" range. I love the look of the rigs I've driven with that have the 35x12.5x15 (as well as all of the rigs I've been stalking online with the same setup) and I've seen the same tire run 33" as well as 34.5", a lot of variables I would imagine. But, sticking as close to a true 34" tire to keep my power loss to a minimal, what would you suggest?

Last edited:

Flynlo

That you budget in a re-gear along with your tires.

I geared up from 3.23's to 4.10's so I'm not fishing to do that again. (I edited my previous post but, I want to keep in the 34" tall range to minimize my power loss)

Budget for wheels and tires tops out at $2,000

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I geared up from 3.23's to 4.10's so I'm not fishing to do that again. (I edited my previous post but, I want to keep in the 34" tall range to minimize my power loss)

Budget for wheels and tires tops out at $2,000

If it were me, I wouldn't obsess over 1" bigger tires and I would just pick up a set of 35x12.50's. Hell, at least they say 35 on the sidewalls and your friends won't have to do the math in their heads to know how big your tires are. Again, EVEN AT THAT, you will feel power loss, just not as much as you would with a bigger set of tires. But hey, that's just me.

Top Bottom