AEV Geometry Correction Brackets

tonytony9

I just purchased myself the Rough Country 2.5in Series II budget boost lift and was considering purchasing the AEV Geometry correction brackets as well for only $100 ( http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/jk-geometry-correction-brackets-frt ). I purchased the lift today and won't be installing it for a few weeks. I thought installing the geo correction brackets at the same time as the lift would make sense so I would like to get feedback on it now.

I have heard some good things about these brackets but would like to get some feedback from the forum. Are they worth it? Are they usable with my bb lift (I won't be able to measure the jounce spacing like the installation guide recommends)? Any alternatives that is within the same price range?

My rig is a daily driver and sees about 98% of its time on the road. When I do go off roading it is nothing crazy so lowering the control arms is not a problem for me. If anything my off roading consists of mud and dirt trails.

Flynlo

I've been looking around for drop brackets as well. I haven't bought anything yet so I'm interested in what others have to say as well.

There are a few options out there given my research with pros and cons to each.

AEV will give you the three additional mounting holes depending on your lift size. So, if you increase your lift down the road you'll be able to keep the brackets.

Rough Country makes the same brackets for about $20 less but you only get one mounting hole good for 2.5-3" lifts.

Rancho makes a bracket that looks to be much stronger than the AEV and Rough Country. Rather than being two plates, bolted together with sleeves it's a one piece welded bracket. At about $135 for the pair it looks like a good deal given how much stronger it potentially is. Might be overkill though.

just my 2¢

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I've seen pics of the AEV brackets flexing sideways. :eek: No thank you! I will never understand using brackets instead of adjustable lca's. But, if you are set on going that route, I'd go Rancho.

jeeeep

Hooked
x2 on the Rancho.

if you decide AEV, I'd recommend welding a piece in to box the 2 sides, the spacers and lack of any other center sections does allow them to twist them up depending on how you wheel.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I've seen pics of the AEV brackets flexing sideways. :eek: No thank you! I will never understand using brackets instead of adjustable lca's. But, if you are set on going that route, I'd go Rancho.

At 2.5 inches, they aren't even needed though are they?

I know I have 2.5 inch teraflex coils on mine and I don't have any issues where I feel the drop brackets or adjustable control arms are needed. I do have a 1/4 pounder front bumper and power plant though.

What little but I have wheeled mine, I would say it wasn't anything hardcore and I've rubbed the frame side lower control arm mount up front. Hate to see what would've happened with drop brackets.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you really DO NOT need the drop brackets at just 2.5" of lift. That being said, I personally think it's crazy that people would intentionally pay to lower a part of their Jeep that is prone to getting hit right after paying money to lift their Jeep up higher to help prevent hits like this. Of course, you are determined to get them, I too would recommend the Rancho brackets over the AEV as they are MUCH stronger. The AEV brackets are separate pieces and I have personally seen them flex sideways when flexing on the trail and not in a good way.

BertaNation

I had aev brackets on my 15 jku w a 4" lift. Had no issues w them. Only used them as temporary fix till I could get control arms.
Did some light wheeling and mountain trails in CO.
Don't know that u would need them w that lift.
My suggestion would be lift first then decide.

And the OP said what he does w his jeep does not require clearance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had aev brackets on my 15 jku w a 4" lift. Had no issues w them. Only used them as temporary fix till I could get control arms.
Did some light wheeling and mountain trails in CO.
Don't know that u would need them w that lift.
My suggestion would be lift first then decide.

And the OP said what he does w his jeep does not require clearance.

Yup, I do see that now. Still doesn't change the fact that at just 2.5" of lift, they really aren't needed as you've pointed out. The only time I've seen issues with them is on Jeeps that were getting wheeled hard. Again, if one were to insist on running drop brackets, the Rancho ones are much stronger.

t8er

OP I run the RE geometry correction brackets that are identical to the AEV brackets. The 2 piece is a PITA to put on but yes my steering feel, ride etc improved after doing it. I've seen mine twist with bolts torqued down properly, and with the wheeling I do I've bent the hell out of the bottoms of the brackets. It's a cheap temporary fix until you can afford to do it right and get adjustable control arms. I know Ranch makes a better bracket and JKS makes a one piece bracket that I would recommend instead.

crowrb29

I have the ranchos and they've taken some pretty hard hits. They are good brackets, really easy install too.

toxicwaste29

I also have rancho. Heavy duty and have also taken hits with no issues. They are only temporary until I save up for control arms.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Here is an image of ours.
As mentioned they are easier to install because of the one piece design.
Good luck with your choice.

JK_CorrectionBrackets_RS6250B_zps9f3bb575.jpg

tonytony9

Yup, I do see that now. Still doesn't change the fact that at just 2.5" of lift, they really aren't needed as you've pointed out. The only time I've seen issues with them is on Jeeps that were getting wheeled hard. Again, if one were to insist on running drop brackets, the Rancho ones are much stronger.

I am not necessarily set on drop brackets. There are a few reasons why I considered them: Pushing the wheel stance back to more of a stock look and the handling performance improvements that were listed by AEV.

It really is a daily driver with minimal off roading (until I get myself another dd after college I can't risk really hardcore off roading) so as long as they are supportive enough for easy off roading and extensive road usage then that should not be too much of a problem.

After reading all of these replies is it just easier to get adjustable control arms instead of drop brackets? A really quick search and I found Rough Country ones for $179. But are they even necessary for what I am doing?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I am not necessarily set on drop brackets. There are a few reasons why I considered them: Pushing the wheel stance back to more of a stock look and the handling performance improvements that were listed by AEV.

It really is a daily driver with minimal off roading (until I get myself another dd after college I can't risk really hardcore off roading) so as long as they are supportive enough for easy off roading and extensive road usage then that should not be too much of a problem.

After reading all of these replies is it just easier to get adjustable control arms instead of drop brackets? A really quick search and I found Rough Country ones for $179. But are they even necessary for what I am doing?

I have the same rough country budget boost that you do and after almost 10k miles I can tell you that drop brackets nor LCA are needed.
Save your money.

tonytony9

OP I run the RE geometry correction brackets that are identical to the AEV brackets. The 2 piece is a PITA to put on but yes my steering feel, ride etc improved after doing it. I've seen mine twist with bolts torqued down properly, and with the wheeling I do I've bent the hell out of the bottoms of the brackets. It's a cheap temporary fix until you can afford to do it right and get adjustable control arms. I know Ranch makes a better bracket and JKS makes a one piece bracket that I would recommend instead.

Do you think for my needs that I would need to spend the extra $39 for the Rancho vs AEV or the extra $60 vs. the Rough Country ones? Like I said earlier it is really more of a dd than anything else.

t8er

Do you think for my needs that I would need to spend the extra $39 for the Rancho vs AEV or the extra $60 vs. the Rough Country ones? Like I said earlier it is really more of a dd than anything else.

I'll agree that they'll help with steering feel etc but even if you just do mild off-roading you'll still be risking some of the same items. First try driving your jeep without them. If it seems fine then you just saved even more. Putting them on after isn't bad and only takes an extra hour or so and a second set of hands. Personally even for street use and ease of install I'd look at Rancho or JKS

tonytony9

I have the same rough country budget boost that you do and after almost 10k miles I can tell you that drop brackets nor LCA are needed.
Save your money.

Alright thank you for the advice. Will take this into consideration for sure.

tonytony9

I'll agree that they'll help with steering feel etc but even if you just do mild off-roading you'll still be risking some of the same items. First try driving your jeep without them. If it seems fine then you just saved even more. Putting them on after isn't bad and only takes an extra hour or so and a second set of hands. Personally even for street use and ease of install I'd look at Rancho or JKS

Alright perfect. I will hold off on drop brackets or control arms. Thank you.

Rud

Save your money.

Went on the NEWB run early this year and asked WAYALIFE about these brackets... he said why would you pay to lose clearance? So yeah I took a shot or 2 of whiskey and didn't buy them brackets.

Went on a the Big Bear run this weekend, wonder how them brackets would look now?
bracket.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Went on the NEWB run early this year and asked WAYALIFE about these brackets... he said why would you pay to lose clearance? So yeah I took a shot or 2 of whiskey and didn't buy them brackets.

Went on a the Big Bear run this weekend, wonder how them brackets would look now?
View attachment 203552

Holy thread revival - LOL!!

Great shot and the exact reason why you DO NOT want drop brackets to LOWER this point.

Top Bottom