Look at an ACE Rear Bumper - Is it solid? Any rattles? Negatives?

CamBam925

Love my ace!!! It's solid as hell! I went with slant back tire carrier option

View attachment 95436
5yjavy6a.jpg

I'm looking at picking one of these up in the near future and was wondering if you still like it? Still solid? Any rattles or bearing problems? Negatives? I love the look and plan on getting the slant back adapter when I get the money for the trek top.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I can barely get a 37" on s regular carrier. I'm to big of a pussy to get it that high and at an angle..

CamBam925

Hahah yeah I guess that is a long way up... but I'm not too worried about getting it on and off just so it's solid when it's on.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Hahah yeah I guess that is a long way up... but I'm not too worried about getting it on and off just so it's solid when it's on.

I've had to pull spares off in some uneven off camber spots on the trail. Not to mention near cliffs. No way would I want to wrestle one down like this.

CamBam925

I can understand that, but this is going on my daily driver and I don't plan on hitting any trails that are too gnarly quiet yet. If I find it annoying and too difficult/dangerous when I turn my jeep into just a trail rig and can afford another car I'll swap it out for something like the Evo tire carrier. But until then this hits all of my requirements, takes the load off the tail gate, opens with the tail gate, looks good, tow hitch, mounting points for accessories ect... just want to verify that it's a solid piece of equipment and not rattling over time or causing unexpected damage

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I can understand that, but this is going on my daily driver and I don't plan on hitting any trails that are too gnarly quiet yet. If I find it annoying and too difficult/dangerous when I turn my jeep into just a trail rig and can afford another car I'll swap it out for something like the Evo tire carrier. But until then this hits all of my requirements, takes the load off the tail gate, opens with the tail gate, looks good, tow hitch, mounting points for accessories ect... just want to verify that it's a solid piece of equipment and not rattling over time or causing unexpected damage

Weighs a ton. Aev is a good choice also

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed ^^^.

Based on what I'm hearing, something like the AEV tire carrier is what I would be looking at. If you've ever seen the two in person like I have, it's really a no brainer.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Need a tire carrier and bumper that opens with the door. Was thinking ACE any...

Agreed ^^^.

Based on what I'm hearing, something like the AEV tire carrier is what I would be looking at. If you've ever seen the two in person like I have, it's really a no brainer.

The AEV super nice. The brass spindle on the swing away portion is a monster. It's very smooth to operate.

Last edited:

CamBam925

The AEV is nice, just not the look I'm really going for. ACE now sells this bumper in aluminum and is claimed to weigh only 30 lbs, I haven't seen it with a tire carrier in tge aluminum though....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The AEV is nice, just not the look I'm really going for. ACE now sells this bumper in aluminum and is claimed to weigh only 30 lbs, I haven't seen it with a tire carrier in tge aluminum though....

Sounds like you've already convinced yourself that this is the bumper you want. You should get it and tell us how much you love it. :yup:

CamBam925

Sounds like you've already convinced yourself that this is the bumper you want. You should get it and tell us how much you love it. :yup:

Pretty much.... just wanted a long term review on how it's holding up before putting all my cards in one deck.

daverawr

I currently have the Expedition One rear bumper and tire carrier, love this thing. It's so damn stout and sturdy. The tire carrier opens with door smoothly and has option to adjust size so you're not limited to a certain sized tire.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444325406.698537.jpg

JAGS

Hooked

Why not the LOD linked bumper? Several options and is a great company. Products are quality.

CamBam925

Why not the LOD linked bumper? Several options and is a great company. Products are quality.

I have also looked at that and is my backup choice right now simply because it doesn't come with the slant back tire carrier option (as far as I know)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have also looked at that and is my backup choice right now simply because it doesn't come with the slant back tire carrier option (as far as I know)

You really like the look of that slant back tire carrier that much? Have you given the Knuckles bumper a look? They have one too. As others have said, I can't imagine why anyone would purposefully want to put all that weight up so high, cantilevered over your Jeep throwing off your COG in just the rear and just for looks. But, to each their own. :cool:

JAGS

Hooked

Ah, sorry, I didn't see that style was the driving force. I'm not a big fan of the slant carrier. Have seen it in person. Initially looks great/different, but then the novelty wears off and too many concerns/questions for me.

If that's what you want, I'm sure you'll like it.

Top Bottom