LS engine swap

Dean454

So I'm to the point I want to swap out the 3.6 for an LS. I've chosen the LS for many positive reasons. But that is as far as I've gotten. I would like input from those with working knowledge of this project. Such as which size engine is best, is used a viable option or should I only buy new? Any help is appreciated

Hot94Z28

Just curious why do you want to ditch the 3.6? For me seems like plenty of power, and as a former hot rodder I was always looking for more power but now I rather have better axles. But hey if it's what you want to do go for it.

Havoc40

I've just started my research on the intricate workings of this swap myself. I have a Gen.III LS1 out of my Corvette I'm rebuilding to a forged 383 for mine. There's different reluctor rings on the crankshaft for different computers, and I'm pretty sure they have to be the 58 tooth Gen.IV style for the conversion to work. Other than that, for the torque I'd stay with a relatively small cam. I'd also use the aluminum variants to keep weight down. The iron blocks are about 100lbs heavier than aluminum. Most of the guys here are using a crate LS3, other than cost they're an awesome choice, but for a Jeep I'd really prefer the cathedral port head over LS3 or LS7 square ports. I'm going to use a set of Mamo Motorsports heads.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I would call up Robbie at Motech. He even has an account here and you can contact him by PM. There's no one person I know in this industry that knows LS swaps better than him.

Havoc40

Honestly, I would call up Robbie at Motech. He even has an account here and you can contact him by PM. There's no one person I know in this industry that knows LS swaps better than him.

I'd definitely agree with that. Robbie is awesome when it comes to these JK swaps. Just like the rest of my Jeep build, I'll be doing the swap myself. I'll be using MoTech's basic builders kit to mitigate some fab work.

That said, IMO there's better options than buying a crate engine. While I agree they're probably the best source for the conversion kit, there's plenty of people in this industry I'd talk to about actually building an LS engine. The E38 computer MoTech uses for their conversion kit requires a 58T reluctor, and is really all that's needed. You can put that on any LS crankshaft and be styling. That leaves the rest of build wide open for options. For the price of axles and amount of work required, I want a little more under the hood than what a crate engine has to offer. 525HP that's useable and tame is more my style :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd definitely agree with that. Robbie is awesome when it comes to these JK swaps. Just like the rest of my Jeep build, I'll be doing the swap myself. I'll be using MoTech's basic builders kit to mitigate some fab work.

That said, IMO there's better options than buying a crate engine. While I agree they're probably the best source for the conversion kit, there's plenty of people in this industry I'd talk to about actually building an LS engine. The E38 computer MoTech uses for their conversion kit requires a 58T reluctor, and is really all that's needed. You can put that on any LS crankshaft and be styling. That leaves the rest of build wide open for options. For the price of axles and amount of work required, I want a little more under the hood than what a crate engine has to offer. 525HP that's useable and tame is more my style :)

Oh yeah, we ended up swapping in an L94 as opposed to an LS3. The conversion kit, the knowledge and support Motech offers is what I was referring to more than anything.

Dean454

Yes the shop I'm having do this has nothing but great things to say about Motech and I know Eddie has them take care of Moby so I feel like I have some of the logistics worked out

I have consulted with Westin at Trail jeeps he has been great and very helpful.

As far as why I want to get rid of the 3.6 it's purely selfish. The 3.6 is a very capable engine. But as I have built up and armored my jeep the overall weight is taking its toll.

Havoc 40 thank you very much. That's great information. Lots to consider.

I'm hoping to get a decent trade for my 3.6 and tranny to help offset the cost.

Now I would appreciate opinions on whether I can stay with the stock t-case or should I upgrade?

Thank you

Havoc40

As far as why I want to get rid of the 3.6 it's purely selfish. The 3.6 is a very capable engine. But as I have built up and armored my jeep the overall weight is taking its toll.

Havoc 40 thank you very much. That's great information. Lots to consider.

Now I would appreciate opinions on whether I can stay with the stock t-case or should I upgrade?

Thank you

No problem. I've been in the LS world for years. I'm just old school and hate anything with less than 8 cylinders (I6 Cummins is about the only exception) :bleh:. I really cannot stand the sound of the 3.6 with a performance exhaust, so it has to go!

Plenty of people use the 241 t-case with engine swaps. Most of the success stories you can find online are with the Hemi swaps. I doubt it will be capable of handling a high output performance engine with heavy tires, but we'll see. I'm going to use it with a Novak adapter until it grenades, then swap in an Atlas. More parts for the wall of shame and new party stories.

Last edited:

jedg

Oh yeah, we ended up swapping in an L94 as opposed to an LS3. The conversion kit, the knowledge and support Motech offers is what I was referring to more than anything.

Yep, same outcome for me. I started with a different engine on my list... after talking with Robbie at MoTech and him asking me leading questions, I elected to have him install an L96. I couldn't be happier with his recommendation and his support.

So I'm to the point I want to swap out the 3.6 for an LS. I've chosen the LS for many positive reasons. But that is as far as I've gotten. I would like input from those with working knowledge of this project. Such as which size engine is best, is used a viable option or should I only buy new? Any help is appreciated

Call MoTech before you start anything. Currently they are still working on the pentstar kit. You may want to wait for a bit until it's "flushed" out.

If you have any questions on the swap and what to expect let me know. We are just finishing up mine.

Dean454

Call MoTech before you start anything. Currently they are still working on the pentstar kit. You may want to wait for a bit until it's "flushed" out.

If you have any questions on the swap and what to expect let me know. We are just finishing up mine.

Thank you I didn't realize they were still working out bugs on the 3.6

Thank you I didn't realize they were still working out bugs on the 3.6

I wouldn't say bugs. But the pentstar has taken control of a lot of what the jeep does (body control module). It will basically be a hybrid LS / 3.8 / 3.6 swap lol.

Talk to Lisa or Robbie.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444870957.197546.jpg

This 480hp Ls3 is mated to a factory 2013 auto nag1, factory computer and 0 bugs. Built at Trail Jeeps.

Top Bottom