PDA

View Full Version : VM Motori V6 Diesel Engine - Probablity for the 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler?

wayoflife
10-14-2015, 04:49 PM
So, for those of you who are interested in the upcoming 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler and have been wanting it in a diesel, all indications are pointing to it actually happening this time around. The question is, what diesel engine will it be? Well, according to AllPar's sources, there's a very good chance that it will be the VM Motori V6 Diesel Engine that Chrysler has been using since about 2011. You can read all about it here:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/VM-RA-diesel.html

I've never been a big fan of diesel engines in a Jeep but, I have to say that I am intrigued. With that said, I'd like to hear from some of the diesel fans out there and know what you all think of this engine? :cool:

C_short15
10-14-2015, 05:12 PM
I think a diesel option is a good thing, throws out variety for the people who it, and still allows people to stay away. I like it, because of the better mpgs and the low end torque! 😎

JK_Dave
10-14-2015, 07:38 PM
This is the only engine I'd consider buying in the new JL.

croge17
10-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Im 100% in favor a factory option diesel. The aftermarket cummins swaps and tdi swaps tend to be a little sluggish or hesitant to rev when needed. A factory tuned one with well thought out transmission ratios and axle gearing will make this thing drive like a champ.

Marauder
10-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Im all for a diesel. Wont buy a new wrangler until it has one.

13_gecko_rubi
10-18-2015, 10:32 PM
I've driven several ram 1500s and grand cherokees with this engine. It is a modern diesel, no smell, smoke, etc. It only weighs about 500 lbs which is very light for a diesel. Behind the 8 speed in those vehicles it does great, always in the torque band. And at about 30 mpg in the grand and 28 in the 1500, hard to beat, that's what I actually saw not what's on the window

HoosierWolf
10-21-2015, 06:04 PM
I'm very interested in this. It is seriously the only thing other than a possible jeep truck, that is making me consider a JL at this point.

Mountainjk10
10-21-2015, 07:53 PM
Are these Diesel engines required to use DEF fluid? My work truck which is diesel uses it. I would assume these diesels need to also.

13_gecko_rubi
10-22-2015, 01:52 AM
Are these Diesel engines required to use DEF fluid? My work truck which is diesel uses it. I would assume these diesels need to also.

Yes. Pretty much all modern diesels need DEF to pass emissions. Unless you are VW :)

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua
10-22-2015, 06:05 AM
If the JL is an improvement over the JK in such a way that makes me want one...diesel for me.

JWT
10-22-2015, 02:12 PM
In addition to my Rubi, we also have a Grand Cherokee. I was leaning towards the diesel, for all the usual reasons--mileage, torque, zombie apocalypse-level range. It also drives really nice with the 8-speed ZF. In the end, I went with the sentimental favorite--the Hemi. BUT I'd absolutely get the diesel over the 3.6 if I could have. The 8 speed is like butter, ALWAYS knows the right gear. I believe there were a number of early GC owners with the diesel who had trans programming problems, not sure if they've worked that out.

HighwayTrout
10-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Good things come to those who wait.... Unless we are talking about a diesel in a wrangler. lol

Remember when all these same rumors started floating around before the JK was released?

I waited and waited and waited some more still believing that diesels would be offered to the U.S. market. I finally said screw it and bought a 12' with the pentastar.

If the JL is nice and I want one. I will not be waiting for a diesel. Don't hold your breath guys.

JK_Dave
10-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Good things come to those who wait.... Unless we are talking about a diesel in a wrangler. lol

Remember when all these same rumors started floating around before the JK was released?

I waited and waited and waited some more still believing that diesels would be offered to the U.S. market. I finally said screw it and bought a 12' with the pentastar.

If the JL is nice and I want one. I will not be waiting for a diesel. Don't hold your breath guys.

If it wasn't already in a production Grand Cherokee, I'd be just as skeptical. But I do think that if it happens, it'll be similar to the release of a 4 door Wrangler. People at FCA will be slapping their heads saying why didn't we do this earlier?

Linebacker
10-22-2015, 07:03 PM
I've always been a fan of clean, quiet diesels in off road vehicles. They really perform well. Maybe I've ridden in too many Volkswagens recently.:hmm:

highoctane
10-22-2015, 07:06 PM
If it wasn't already in a production Grand Cherokee, I'd be just as skeptical. But I do think that if it happens, it'll be similar to the release of a 4 door Wrangler. People at FCA will be slapping their heads saying why didn't we do this earlier?

I thought the same thing when they put the 3.0 CRD in the '08 Grand Cherokee and CRD 2.8 Liberty. Still waiting for that diesel Wrangler.

AllAmericanInfidel
10-22-2015, 07:12 PM
While I am not particularly interested in the JL, I would love to see the truck that Jeep is supposed to introduce 1 year after the JL with a diesel/8 speed option, and in a 4 door/ 5 passenger option. If the truck is not released in a 5 passenger variant, than the JL would have to have very significant improvements over my current rig for me to even consider it. Either way, I am all for a modern diesel option. Really no big downsides to more torque and better mileage IMO.

Guascone
10-22-2015, 08:02 PM
I have a JKUR Diesel...the 2.8 CRD. I like it. The engine have a lot of torque and also a good reliabilty. In Europe most JK have that engine...

TLC Offroad
10-22-2015, 09:01 PM
I was waiting for the Diesel but I could not wait any more after Owning My Duramax truck I love the low end on them. I went ahead and got 2015 JK I want to get off road and waiting was killing Me and now they say 2018 Not going to wait that long here.

frenchjk
10-31-2015, 06:27 PM
We mainly have diesel jeeps here in france and the 4 banger VM is good and trust worthy engine. The VM v6 is really a good engine (i believe it'is the one in the Grand) and the torque output at low revs is excellent....very very good for crawling and offroading.

The only gripe i have for these modern diesels are the EGR, DPF and Catalytic converters that are power hogs and make for complicated exaust lines, many extra sensors and are costly to maintain when needed. (and they are a pain to delete because of the sensors)

Roc900
10-31-2015, 07:00 PM
:crazyeyes:I'm praying to the JEEP GODS they release it, I currently have the EcoDiesel in my 2014 Dodge Ram 1500, Loving Every Minute Of It:clap2:, And I don't even have a chip in it....!!!!!

frenchjk
11-06-2015, 11:46 AM
:crazyeyes:I'm praying to the JEEP GODS they release it, I currently have the EcoDiesel in my 2014 Dodge Ram 1500, Loving Every Minute Of It:clap2:, And I don't even have a chip in it....!!!!!

don't need a chip.....only a sprint booster or similar gizmo (well on the 2.8 you do/might) that will give you a faster throttle response when needed (they are adjustable on the fly).

LilRedExpress
01-03-2016, 05:09 AM
I have the 2008 Grand with the 3.0L. Foot to the floor sits you back in your seat even starting from 60. Same company just a previous version. Non DEF model but that doesn't affect performance anyway. Just an exhaust cooker if I understand it right. I bought it used with 80k on it and consistently get 21 on the highway. I have 108k on it now and runs like a dream. I would love a Wrangler with the new VM motor. Wish they would come up with a swap for it in my 11 2 door.

13_gecko_rubi
01-03-2016, 06:02 AM
I have the 2008 Grand with the 3.0L. Foot to the floor sits you back in your seat even starting from 60. Same company just a previous version. Non DEF model but that doesn't affect performance anyway. Just an exhaust cooker if I understand it right. I bought it used with 80k on it and consistently get 21 on the highway. I have 108k on it now and runs like a dream. I would love a Wrangler with the new VM motor. Wish they would come up with a swap for it in my 11 2 door.

The 2008 grand Cherokee diesel is a Mercedes diesel. The new one is a VM diesel. About the only thing they have in common is they are both diesels. Not even close to same design. VM was a joint venture between fiat and gm until gm sold its half to fiat a few years ago. The new 2.8 duramax diesel in the Colorado is from that old venture. It's a derivative of the diesel used I. Th JK overseas now. GM made some updates to it and added the SCR (Eurea) system to it.

Journeyman
01-03-2016, 06:36 AM
I love the idea of a diesel wrangler. There should have been one here in the u.s. A long time ago!
But there are so many components that can and do go wrong will the dpf exhaust system. All of our new work (modern) trucks are constantly going down due to plugged dpf's. I loved my duramax but the mpg was constantly getting destroyed because of regeneration. I'm actually looking for a pre 2007.5 diesel pickup because I don't want to deal with dpf filters and def fluid.

frenchjk
01-03-2016, 12:43 PM
I love the idea of a diesel wrangler. There should have been one here in the u.s. A long time ago!
But there are so many components that can and do go wrong will the dpf exhaust system. All of our new work (modern) trucks are constantly going down due to plugged dpf's. I loved my duramax but the mpg was constantly getting destroyed because of regeneration. I'm actually looking for a pre 2007.5 diesel pickup because I don't want to deal with dpf filters and def fluid.

the 2.8 has a DPF filter with a fifth injector that post injects into the exhaust flow after the turbo to heat up the DPF and burn off the soot. NO Def fluid but still it needs to run on open roads from time to time to burn off. DPF techno is here to stay and IMHO it is a PITA.

I sincerely hope that if FIAT/JEEP goes the diesel way on the JL they use a different technology altogether. In Europe the VM +CAT+DPF is creating a few headaches: clogged filters, broken sensors, broken exhaust pipe hangers (due to heat and crappy Chinese metal alloys), engine runaways and consequent failure of piston rods, turbos, injectors etc.....

so lets keep our fingers crossed that the Diesel JL is with a better anti-pollution system whatever the engine.

13_gecko_rubi
01-03-2016, 03:36 PM
the 2.8 has a DPF filter with a fifth injector that post injects into the exhaust flow after the turbo to heat up the DPF and burn off the soot. NO Def fluid but still it needs to run on open roads from time to time to burn off. DPF techno is here to stay and IMHO it is a PITA.

I sincerely hope that if FIAT/JEEP goes the diesel way on the JL they use a different technology altogether. In Europe the VM +CAT+DPF is creating a few headaches: clogged filters, broken sensors, broken exhaust pipe hangers (due to heat and crappy Chinese metal alloys), engine runaways and consequent failure of piston rods, turbos, injectors etc.....

so lets keep our fingers crossed that the Diesel JL is with a better anti-pollution system whatever the engine.

Every on road diesel above a certain size in usa uses dpf + scr (eurea). With euro 6 taking effect in Europe you will start seeing scr there too. Unfortunately there is no cost effective alternative to meet the crazy diesel emissions. The new 2.8 in the Colorado is based off the 2.8 that's in jk overseas. You can see here in usa it has dpf + scr.

frenchjk
01-03-2016, 03:47 PM
Every on road diesel above a certain size in usa uses dpf + scr (eurea). With euro 6 taking effect in Europe you will start seeing scr there too. Unfortunately there is no cost effective alternative to meet the crazy diesel emissions. The new 2.8 in the Colorado is based off the 2.8 that's in jk overseas. You can see here in usa it has dpf + scr.

exact same engine as the JK...........except we get it 200HP 430 Nm (manual)......could be used for a conversion:blush:in the US

13_gecko_rubi
01-03-2016, 03:56 PM
exact same engine as the JK...........except we get it 200HP 430 Nm (manual)......could be used for a conversion:blush:in the US

Is close not exact same, I've seen both. Gm did some mods to it

uberc4
01-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Dang. If I just didn't already buy a JKU. I was waiting to see if a diesel version came out, but got tired of waiting. I wonder how much they will tack on for the upgrade?

frenchjk
01-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Is close not exact same, I've seen both. Gm did some mods to it

maybe they made the VG turbo controller and exhaust better......other than that the VM base block is a real solid workhorse.

13_gecko_rubi
01-04-2016, 11:12 AM
maybe they made the VG turbo controller and exhaust better......other than that the VM base block is a real solid workhorse.

I think a lot of it was for emissions and noise. Egr circuit, fuel pump, vibration dampener, etc

windowlicker
01-09-2016, 11:09 AM
I have a 2009 JKU with the 2.8 CRD and 6 speed manual. I love it. More torque than a Hemi at 1500rpm, and consistently gets over 30mpg. The fuel light never comes on before 500 miles.

The V6 would be even more awesomer :-)

frenchjk
01-10-2016, 01:26 PM
I have a 2009 JKU with the 2.8 CRD and 6 speed manual. I love it. More torque than a Hemi at 1500rpm, and consistently gets over 30mpg. The fuel light never comes on before 500 miles.

The V6 would be even more awesomer :-)

same here before I killed it with bumpers, tires, lift....20~22 mpg now:rolleyes2:

Blazindevl
01-10-2016, 09:31 PM
Yes mpg would be nice, yes longevity would be much better... Biggest benefit as I see it would be the torque increase, especially for those that run big tire settups.

There would be nothing out there that could compare off road to a properly lifted wrangler on 37's or 40's with a 500ft/lb diesel pushing them!

I'm definitely on the bandwagon!

Ubbb69
01-25-2016, 02:11 PM

This right here is the problem. The dpf system is not designed to idle or low rpm. Also when it does burn off the filter the exhaust is so hot it will start fires. Right now in the usa if you own a farm you can buy any of the bigger diesel trucks with out the dpf system just for the reasons i stated. If you off road with a diesel you are in for headaches from the get go. The current dpf system is designed for highway runs. On my 3/4 ton it even states in the manual not to let the truck sit running or drive strictly in town situations.

Blazindevl
01-26-2016, 08:59 AM
It's my understanding that the 3.0 doesn't fit in the JL platform and the 2.8 thats currently used overseas doesn't meet the emissions criteria here in the states. From the sounds of it, the only two scenarios Chrysler is considering is ATM is the 2.8 with updated emissions or an all new engine thats possibly in the works. Either way its most definitely going to use DPF which raises some concern about being grocery getter friendly but there are many ways around this, the most popular being to just remove it altogether.

Heholua
01-26-2016, 04:17 PM
It's my understanding that the 3.0 doesn't fit in the JL platform and the 2.8 thats currently used overseas doesn't meet the emissions criteria here in the states. From the sounds of it, the only two scenarios Chrysler is considering is ATM is the 2.8 with updated emissions or an all new engine thats possibly in the works. Either way its most definitely going to use DPF which raises some concern about being grocery getter friendly but there are many ways around this, the most popular being to just remove it altogether.

If it can fit in a Grand Cherokee, it will be able to fit in the JL.

13_gecko_rubi
01-26-2016, 04:28 PM
It's a new vehicle, if they want it to fit it will fit. It's same size as a hemi is why doesn't fit in jk

shadowpaige64507
01-26-2016, 04:33 PM
This right here is the problem. The dpf system is not designed to idle or low rpm. Also when it does burn off the filter the exhaust is so hot it will start fires. Right now in the usa if you own a farm you can buy any of the bigger diesel trucks with out the dpf system just for the reasons i stated. If you off road with a diesel you are in for headaches from the get go. The current dpf system is designed for highway runs. On my 3/4 ton it even states in the manual not to let the truck sit running or drive strictly in town situations.

Not sure if this size of vehicle will have the same indicators as large trucks but all the trucks at my work with DEF systems have warning lights to let you know you need to regenerate your engine (burn off the exhaust buildup) well before it makes you do it. Yes it is very hot and could start a fire if done in a field. So with that being said lots of us use or Jeeps as daily drivers I don't see this as an issue. We could burn off the buildup before we hit the trails or even wait until we're done and off the trail in a gravel lot.

Blazindevl
01-26-2016, 06:48 PM
If it can fit in a Grand Cherokee, it will be able to fit in the JL.

It's a new vehicle, if they want it to fit it will fit. It's same size as a hemi is why doesn't fit in jk

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/future/engines.html

I can't make this shit up... Read a third of the way down.

Heholua
01-26-2016, 07:13 PM
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/future/engines.html

I can't make this shit up... Read a third of the way down.

Maybe you should research more than one source.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/05/next-generation-jeep-wrangler-diesel-eight-speed-gearbox/

13_gecko_rubi
01-26-2016, 07:17 PM
That's almost a year old now... which is forever in future vehicle guessing lol. What he said about hard points means if nothing about vehicle size changed, Ie engine compartment, passenger compartment etc. If they want it to fit it will fit.

Heholua
01-26-2016, 07:31 PM
That's almost a year old now... which is forever in future vehicle guessing lol. What he said about hard points means if nothing about vehicle size changed, Ie engine compartment, passenger compartment etc. If they want it to fit it will fit.

Exactly right! Here is another article that I just can't make up.

http://jeepwranglerreviews.com/tag/jalopnik/

Blazindevl
01-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Maybe you should research more than one source.

Exactly right! Here is another article that I just can't make up.

For the record, I hope that Chrysler releases the 3.0 so I'm not trying to fight you on this... Of course anything is possible at this point and manufacturers have been known in the past to change on a dime for no apparent reason. I can't speak for you or anyone else for that matter, but as far as third party's are concerned, allpar has been a known and reputable source for Chrysler for over 20 years, I trust what they have to say vs "auto blog" and "jalopnik" no offense. Besides, if you actually read what you posted vs what I posted, the allpar article is very specific whereas yours are rather vague.

As far as researching more than one quote... Did I fail to mention that i work for Chrysler and have for a number of years? I work at a local dealership in a management capacity and I speak to our rep frequently(on a weekly basis). In doing so, I am privy to information that most don't have. The one thing I can tell you for sure is that the eight speed transmission is happening. Chrysler has used it with success on other vehicles and it helps contribute both better MPG and performance. It could happen as early as 2017. The diesel option is most likely going to happen but it hinges on two things. Sorting out emissions and gauging the sales numbers of the current light duty diesels to see if there will be enough demand even though the jeep community has been begging for it. 2018 is a possibility but it could be 2019 or later or not at all.

I do hope they make the diesel platform in the wrangler, I am a huge proponent but at this point it's still speculation so arguing over what might be is kind of silly don't you think? I do hope its the 3.0 because they drive nice and perform well but one thing to think about is that they already make wrangler diesels with the 2.8. From a cost standpoint it just makes more sense.

Heholua
01-26-2016, 09:50 PM
For the record, I hope that Chrysler releases the 3.0 so I'm not trying to fight you on this... Of course anything is possible at this point and manufacturers have been known in the past to change on a dime for no apparent reason. I can't speak for you or anyone else for that matter, but as far as third party's are concerned, allpar has been a known and reputable source for Chrysler for over 20 years, I trust what they have to say vs "auto blog" and "jalopnik" no offense. Besides, if you actually read what you posted vs what I posted, the allpar article is very specific whereas yours are rather vague.

As far as researching more than one quote... Did I fail to mention that i work for Chrysler and have for a number of years? I work at a local dealership in a management capacity and I speak to our rep frequently(on a weekly basis). In doing so, I am privy to information that most don't have. The one thing I can tell you for sure is that the eight speed transmission is happening. Chrysler has used it with success on other vehicles and it helps contribute both better MPG and performance. It could happen as early as 2017. The diesel option is most likely going to happen but it hinges on two things. Sorting out emissions and gauging the sales numbers of the current light duty diesels to see if there will be enough demand even though the jeep community has been begging for it. 2018 is a possibility but it could be 2019 or later or not at all.

I do hope they make the diesel platform in the wrangler, I am a huge proponent but at this point it's still speculation so arguing over what might be is kind of silly don't you think? I do hope its the 3.0 because they drive nice and perform well but one thing to think about is that they already make wrangler diesels with the 2.8. From a cost standpoint it just makes more sense.

I'm not going to argue this with you either, my point was that there are numerous articles on the net about this topic and until it rolls on the showroom floor, it's all speculation.

No offense, but if you work for Chrysler and have access to this information, why do you put value into speculative articles that are a year old?

Blazindevl
01-26-2016, 11:08 PM
I'm not going to argue this with you either, my point was that there are numerous articles on the net about this topic and until it rolls on the showroom floor, it's all speculation.

Yes there are several articles on the net but if you look closely at all of them, the ones on allpar are all sourced and feature quotes from real people.

No offense, but if you work for Chrysler and have access to this information, why do you put value into speculative articles that are a year old?

Good question, keep in mind, I'm at the dealership level. While I am able to get some information before it's released, they also like to keep us in the dark as well. For example, if they told me a diesel was coming next year 100%, how many sales do you think it would cost us for the last of the 2016 models?

Yes that article is a year old, there are newer ones but that one goes the most in depth specifically relating to the diesels.

Ubbb69
01-28-2016, 05:57 AM
Not sure if this size of vehicle will have the same indicators as large trucks but all the trucks at my work with DEF systems have warning lights to let you know you need to regenerate your engine (burn off the exhaust buildup) well before it makes you do it. Yes it is very hot and could start a fire if done in a field. So with that being said lots of us use or Jeeps as daily drivers I don't see this as an issue. We could burn off the buildup before we hit the trails or even wait until we're done and off the trail in a gravel lot.

I was not aware you could force a dpf burn on large trucks. I am on my 2nd dpf equipped 3/4 ton truck and neither had a gauge or a force burn button. What they do have is the capacity to cut engine horsepower if it has not been able to start a burn in to long. Burns seem to happen around 500-600 miles apart. They take up to 30 mins to complete. They happen a lot more often if the rig idles often and in city driving. Knowing what I know know I would not want a dpf rig for short commuter vehicle, or offroad vehicle.

You can delete the whole dpf system but open yourself up to federal fines. Also having to reinstall if emissions test are needed for plates.

allwhitejeeps
01-28-2016, 06:46 AM
HYBRID?????? http://www.hybridcars.com/next-gen-jeep-wrangler-will-come-in-diesel-hybrid-and-pickup-versions/

frenchjk
01-28-2016, 11:30 AM
I was not aware you could force a dpf burn on large trucks. I am on my 2nd dpf equipped 3/4 ton truck and neither had a gauge or a force burn button. What they do have is the capacity to cut engine horsepower if it has not been able to start a burn in to long. Burns seem to happen around 500-600 miles apart. They take up to 30 mins to complete. They happen a lot more often if the rig idles often and in city driving. Knowing what I know know I would not want a dpf rig for short commuter vehicle, or offroad vehicle.

You can delete the whole dpf system but open yourself up to federal fines. Also having to reinstall if emissions test are needed for plates.

We've looked into deleting the whole DPF system here in Europe as it can be a major pita......it was fairly easy on the 177hp version but on the 200hp latest version of the 2.8 vm the system is really intricate and the coding and electronics are really complex to delete. So far nobody is doing it. (In addition to that the euro5 and coming euro6 emissions laws are enforced and it is going to be impossible -or difficulty feasible- to work around those with the manadatory tests required on yearly, or more, basis. That is why my next rig is gas powered.......:doh:.......even though diesel torque is really something for crawling around.

Goldeneagle1LC
01-28-2016, 02:35 PM
We've looked into deleting the whole DPF system here in Europe as it can be a major pita......it was fairly easy on the 177hp version but on the 200hp latest version of the 2.8 vm the system is really intricate and the coding and electronics are really complex to delete. So far nobody is doing it. (In addition to that the euro5 and coming euro6 emissions laws are enforced and it is going to be impossible -or difficulty feasible- to work around those with the manadatory tests required on yearly, or more, basis. That is why my next rig is gas powered.......:doh:.......even though diesel torque is really something for crawling around.

DPFs are a pita. I deleted mine with a middle eastern tune. There are better options for my model year now, but that was when it was new. It was a 07.5 Ram 2500. You might want to see if anyone has gotten a copy of the stock tune for Middle Eastern Diesel Wranglers. They don't have the same Emissions nonsense that we have to deal with so they probably still come from the factory with no DPF etc.

frenchjk
01-28-2016, 08:05 PM
FCA seems to be anouncing stuff........the PU is confirmed as are differnt engines. Not much info on looks though.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1601-diesel-and-hybrid-jeep-wrangler-confirmed/

frenchjk
01-29-2016, 06:02 PM
DPFs are a pita. I deleted mine with a middle eastern tune. There are better options for my model year now, but that was when it was new. It was a 07.5 Ram 2500. You might want to see if anyone has gotten a copy of the stock tune for Middle Eastern Diesel Wranglers. They don't have the same Emissions nonsense that we have to deal with so they probably still come from the factory with no DPF etc.

good idea.....even though the only areas Iknow of getting diesels are Europe north south east, South Africa, Australia and North African countries.....I don't believe any mid-east country is getting the diesel at this time, but i might be wrong.