VM Motori V6 Diesel Engine - Probablity for the 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, for those of you who are interested in the upcoming 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler and have been wanting it in a diesel, all indications are pointing to it actually happening this time around. The question is, what diesel engine will it be? Well, according to AllPar's sources, there's a very good chance that it will be the VM Motori V6 Diesel Engine that Chrysler has been using since about 2011. You can read all about it here:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/VM-RA-diesel.html

ecodiesel.jpg

I've never been a big fan of diesel engines in a Jeep but, I have to say that I am intrigued. With that said, I'd like to hear from some of the diesel fans out there and know what you all think of this engine? :cool:

C_short15

I think a diesel option is a good thing, throws out variety for the people who it, and still allows people to stay away. I like it, because of the better mpgs and the low end torque! 😎

croge17

Im 100% in favor a factory option diesel. The aftermarket cummins swaps and tdi swaps tend to be a little sluggish or hesitant to rev when needed. A factory tuned one with well thought out transmission ratios and axle gearing will make this thing drive like a champ.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I've driven several ram 1500s and grand cherokees with this engine. It is a modern diesel, no smell, smoke, etc. It only weighs about 500 lbs which is very light for a diesel. Behind the 8 speed in those vehicles it does great, always in the torque band. And at about 30 mpg in the grand and 28 in the 1500, hard to beat, that's what I actually saw not what's on the window

HoosierWolf

I'm very interested in this. It is seriously the only thing other than a possible jeep truck, that is making me consider a JL at this point.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Are these Diesel engines required to use DEF fluid? My work truck which is diesel uses it. I would assume these diesels need to also.

JWT

In addition to my Rubi, we also have a Grand Cherokee. I was leaning towards the diesel, for all the usual reasons--mileage, torque, zombie apocalypse-level range. It also drives really nice with the 8-speed ZF. In the end, I went with the sentimental favorite--the Hemi. BUT I'd absolutely get the diesel over the 3.6 if I could have. The 8 speed is like butter, ALWAYS knows the right gear. I believe there were a number of early GC owners with the diesel who had trans programming problems, not sure if they've worked that out.

Good things come to those who wait.... Unless we are talking about a diesel in a wrangler. lol

Remember when all these same rumors started floating around before the JK was released?

I waited and waited and waited some more still believing that diesels would be offered to the U.S. market. I finally said screw it and bought a 12' with the pentastar.

If the JL is nice and I want one. I will not be waiting for a diesel. Don't hold your breath guys.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Good things come to those who wait.... Unless we are talking about a diesel in a wrangler. lol

Remember when all these same rumors started floating around before the JK was released?

I waited and waited and waited some more still believing that diesels would be offered to the U.S. market. I finally said screw it and bought a 12' with the pentastar.

If the JL is nice and I want one. I will not be waiting for a diesel. Don't hold your breath guys.

If it wasn't already in a production Grand Cherokee, I'd be just as skeptical. But I do think that if it happens, it'll be similar to the release of a 4 door Wrangler. People at FCA will be slapping their heads saying why didn't we do this earlier?

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I've always been a fan of clean, quiet diesels in off road vehicles. They really perform well. Maybe I've ridden in too many Volkswagens recently.:hmm:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
If it wasn't already in a production Grand Cherokee, I'd be just as skeptical. But I do think that if it happens, it'll be similar to the release of a 4 door Wrangler. People at FCA will be slapping their heads saying why didn't we do this earlier?

I thought the same thing when they put the 3.0 CRD in the '08 Grand Cherokee and CRD 2.8 Liberty. Still waiting for that diesel Wrangler.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
While I am not particularly interested in the JL, I would love to see the truck that Jeep is supposed to introduce 1 year after the JL with a diesel/8 speed option, and in a 4 door/ 5 passenger option. If the truck is not released in a 5 passenger variant, than the JL would have to have very significant improvements over my current rig for me to even consider it. Either way, I am all for a modern diesel option. Really no big downsides to more torque and better mileage IMO.

Guascone

I have a JKUR Diesel...the 2.8 CRD. I like it. The engine have a lot of torque and also a good reliabilty. In Europe most JK have that engine...

TLC Offroad

I was waiting for the Diesel but I could not wait any more after Owning My Duramax truck I love the low end on them. I went ahead and got 2015 JK I want to get off road and waiting was killing Me and now they say 2018 Not going to wait that long here.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
We mainly have diesel jeeps here in france and the 4 banger VM is good and trust worthy engine. The VM v6 is really a good engine (i believe it'is the one in the Grand) and the torque output at low revs is excellent....very very good for crawling and offroading.

The only gripe i have for these modern diesels are the EGR, DPF and Catalytic converters that are power hogs and make for complicated exaust lines, many extra sensors and are costly to maintain when needed. (and they are a pain to delete because of the sensors)

Roc900

:crazyeyes:I'm praying to the JEEP GODS they release it, I currently have the EcoDiesel in my 2014 Dodge Ram 1500, Loving Every Minute Of It:clap2:, And I don't even have a chip in it....!!!!!

Top Bottom