Replace tie rod knurled adjuster?

plext0r

I took my 2008 JKU to Firestone to take advantage of their lifetime alignment special since I didn't trust myself to perform the "home" alignment. The knurled adjustment ring has a crack on the right-most thread. The tech called me out and showed me how he tried to move the adjuster with a pipe wrench and got the total toe from 0.40 degrees to 0.35 degrees. He didn't want to move it any further thinking the ring might break completely. He was able to re-center my steering wheel since I had been unable to do that a few weeks ago.

Any thoughts on a low-budget fix? How hard would it be for me to remove the tie rod and replace just the knurled adjuster and put everything back together? I don't have budget to buy a new after-market tie rod at this time.

Thanks!

CCI10142015.jpg

QRS

I guess you are talking about the adjusting sleeve.

Junkyard is a good option, you can try online or local auto parts store, don't recommend the dealer.

Look for 52060054AB either Mopar or Crown
Also Raybestos 425-1065

plext0r

Thanks for all the pointers, but how much work would be required to change this part out? Is there a write up on replacing tie rod ends or something I could use as a guide?

EDIT: Never mind. I found an installation video that makes it appear straight forward. It seems I cannot search this forum for small words like "tie rod", but if I google "site:wayalife.com tie rod", it works. :yup:

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
welcome,

changing it out is easy:

make sure your steering wheel is tied so it does not move. I usually run straps from each side out the window to the frame or rock slider.

measure the long side to the colloar, then measure the short side to the collar.

When you put it back together make sure the pinch bolts are aligned to the open portion of the collar.

I'd recommend taking pics of it before taking it apart.

Take the old off, put the new one on to the measurements and you should be pretty close to the alignment you had.

An alignment shop shouldn't charge too much to swap it out.

plext0r

I feel fairly confident I can swap it out; I just don't want to mess up anything. After removing the Rough Country lift kit that came with this JKU and installing the 4" Evo Coils with FOX 2.0 shocks, my confidence level has increased tremendously. That was due to all the excellent write-ups on this forum; without them I wouldn't have been able to do it. :thumb:

One question, can I unbolt just the driver's side of the tie rod after removing the wheel and replace the adjustment sleeve with the tie rod still attached to the passenger's side?

plext0r

can I unbolt just the driver's side of the tie rod after removing the wheel and replace the adjustment sleeve with the tie rod still attached to the passenger's side?

This is what I did last night. It took a LOT longer than I thought it would since the old adjustment sleeve broke exactly where the alignment shop said it was cracked. This left the threaded portion inside the tie rod with only 1/8-inch sticking out. After lots of trial and error using channel locks and other misc tools, I ended up using a dremel cut-off wheel and a sawzall to cut the sleeve into pieces without damaging the tie rod. I then put everything back together and got it adjusted to the same width as before. Now it's off to the alignment shop for a true alignment. :rock:

jeeeep

Hooked
This is what I did last night. It took a LOT longer than I thought it would since the old adjustment sleeve broke exactly where the alignment shop said it was cracked. This left the threaded portion inside the tie rod with only 1/8-inch sticking out. After lots of trial and error using channel locks and other misc tools, I ended up using a dremel cut-off wheel and a sawzall to cut the sleeve into pieces without damaging the tie rod. I then put everything back together and got it adjusted to the same width as before. Now it's off to the alignment shop for a true alignment. :rock:

wow, good you replaced it - wouldn't want that to break while on the road.

Wasn't so bad to replace once you got the broken piece off :beer:

plext0r

wow, good you replaced it - wouldn't want that to break while on the road.

Wasn't so bad to replace once you got the broken piece off :beer:

Yeah, thanks for the tips. Nice thing about Steve White Parts is that they're only a few hours away so cheap, quick shipping ($3 = two days).

Top Bottom